Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2002 9:25:49 PM EDT
I've seen this before, but never tried it. Now I need to capture a shot of the starting window of an app. I'm doing a write-up on, so I can tack it into a Word doc. It'll be part of a technical writing assignment. What's the sop?

OK. I have a screen capture. But now, does anyone know how to capture certain, specific parts of a program window - like the title bar, menus, or toolbars. I'll need to write some specs on these, too.

Is there some special photo or paint editing tool needed?

Well, I figured out how to isolate individual parts of a window and it's really easy. Once the photo is in Word, I just select it, then select the cropping tool from the editing toolbar, then move the photo's borders to isolate the particular part of the window (toolbar, menu bar, title bar, etc.) I want to highlight.

After selecting the cropping tool, click on either the middle top/bottom, left/right (where the small, square "blocks" along the highlighted edge of the photo are located), or a corner of the photo, & move the border. As you move it, you'll see that, unlike resizing, the picture remains the same size, but the sections that are swept over disappear instead of resizing to fit. Release the mouse button when you've got what you want.

If more finite cropping is needed, then just expand the picture and re-crop are needed. Then resize when finished.

Thanks to all for the help.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Hit the print screen key.

Open paint or some other photo editing program and then paste!

Link Posted: 10/16/2002 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Alt-Print Screen will grab the current active window.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Hit the print screen key...
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, gents. Easy as cake. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok call me stupid but now I cant do it. I hit ALT Print screen key and well it doesnt do a damn thing! Ive got an image program so whats the deal?
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I just hit the key & then pasted it into a Word doc (simultaneous + key press, or click on the paste button on the toolbar).

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 10:14:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Hit Alt-Print Screen or just print screen, then open up paint and Edit| Paste and the image will appear in the paint program

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 7:06:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Try [url]http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/[/url]

Works great, easy to use, and free.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#9]
To capture parts of the screen like you were asking you will need a software tool. I use Easy Screen Capture to grab this tuff for the books I write.

[url]http://www.longfine.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]
That is fuc*ing cool!! For years I wondered how they put a pic of a window in 'puter magazines.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I've been writing for computer magazines since the mid-80's. In that time we've done everything from software screen capture programs, to having a photog actually shoot a picture of a screen we needed to print.

The current crop of capture software, most of which is under $25, is probably better than the stuff we paid hundreds of dollars for 5 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 12:03:10 AM EDT
[#12]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#13]
The PrtScr takes a snapshot and puts it in your cut and paste buffer. I just opened up MS Paint, and pasted the image there. You can then save it in a variety of formats just as bmp or jpg.

Link Posted: 10/21/2002 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#14]
If you want to upload it to a picture server, such as "printroom.com", save it as JPEG:

[img]http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=DScottHewitt&album_id=106270&image_id=0&courtesy=1[/img]

Scott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top