Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2002 12:14:05 AM EDT
I recently had a cable modem installed and for the first 3 months I am using this crappy RCA that they hand out.  I have a wireless Linksys switch/router and have had no problems with it.  Anyone have any idea what Linksys cable modems are like? Any other suggestions for a good modem?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Motorola Surfboard.

I got stuck with one of the shitty RCA's. THen i bought my own Surfboard. Never had a problem since.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto on the Surfboard, no problems with mine, have had for year and a half.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I also have a Surfboard - feeding a Linksys Router - under continuos heavy use (7 PC's) it sometimes wigs out.

Powering off modem for 2 min then rebooting the modem and all is fine.

Another good Cable unit is the Toshiba.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:39:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I wanted a Surfboard, but Fry's ran out, so I got a Linksys.  I had an RCA and kept getting knocked off.  I am not a Linksys fan, but it works way better than the RCA.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 1:22:30 AM EDT
[#5]
We have the Surfboard SB4100, purchased about a year ago. It's wigged-out once or twice, but you just need to turn it off and on again and everything is cool. It's feeding a LinkSys 8-port router. Works great.

When AT&T came to install the cable, the installer said I better use their modem because they were changing their system in 3 months and the new system would not support the Surfboard. That was a year ago and everything is still great. I think the guy was trying to con me into leasing their RCA modem for $10 a month or whatever it is. Screw that, as of next month the Motorola has paid for itself.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:58:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Motorola.  RCA was provided with the installation.  Lighting hit the pole accross the road and fried everything except the computer here(unplugged).  During the reinstall, the tech took one look at the RCA and said "I have the real deal on the truck".  Came in the Surfboard.  

All nice and free.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/biggrin2.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top