Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2002 7:22:42 PM EDT
2015 hours tonight at a Sunoco gas station in Manassass. Victim did not survive.....

No word on connection yet, but FBI and ATF personnel working the MD/DC/VA spree are en route now.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link? Source? For confirmation.

Edited: Just saw the info on the running headlines on CNN.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I live just outside Manassas happened at the Sunoco on Rt 234.....just took a look around the 'hood myself...didn't see anything unusual...I"m locked and loaded just in case [peep]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got my GTA inspected there for emissions about 6 months ago. I went there because it's conveniently located next to I66 (It's right next to the on-ramp). Apparently somebody else found it's location convenient :(
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
That area is going to come apart at the seems, if this goes on much longer.

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Didn't some truck also get a window shot out this afternoon on the RT 234 bypass? I'm not clear on that?
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]
[URL]http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/South/10/09/shootings.maryland/index.html[/URL]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Been watching the news on that. Apparently the guy died but that is about all they are saying right now.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 8:02:48 PM EDT
[#8]
[V]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#9]
So much for the so called 24 hour news stations, No coverage of this at all, don't you all know that no real news happens after 7pm in this country anymore, during the day time we get about one This is a FOX news special report every five minutes now days, but after 7pm..NADA, god forbid we should ever break into the 11pm rerun of the O'Really Factor with some real night time news.

Saddam Could nuke Tel Aviv at 8pm U.S. Central Standard Time and not only would they not interupt Larry King Live on CNN, But we would not now anything about it till 8am the next morning when they roll Katie Corics Lazy day time reporterette's ass out of bed.

Has anybody else noticed how the 24hour news channels have gone to hell with one pundit show repeated over and frikkin over all night long.

Rant off
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife and I heard a noise while we were eating and wondered what it was.  This explains the helicopter that's been flying overhead all evening.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Holy crapola batman...

If this ain't terrorism, I don't know what is...

I think they are afraid to label it yet with the "T" word...

"Domestic Sniper" fits the anti-gun agenda better...
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#12]
There could be mass attacks in the streets of America in every city and the Media would still be saying SNIPER.

In fact they would be saying anything other then the word Terrorism. Might offend the Muslim population.

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:14:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I went there because it's conveniently located next to I66 (It's right next to the on-ramp). Apparently somebody else found it's location convenient :(
View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw where it happened.

I just saw (1am EST) on MSNBC and FOW News channel a top of the hour update. You should be able to see info on this there at the top and bottom of the hours when they break in and have a live news update. Of course Headline News will have it too. The FOX station [i]said[/i] that they might have a news conference and they would show it if they did, but I don't know if they will have one this late.

[peep]Watch yourselves out there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:16:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Link? Source? For confirmation.

Edited: Just saw the info on the running headlines on CNN.
View Quote

Sorry. Jsut saw it on the Dateline29 News out of Charlottesville at 2300. They didn;t have it on the webpage when I just checked, so let me look around....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Google Search:

[url]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Manassas+shooting&spell=1[/url]

Two relevent links:

[url]http://www.austin360.com/aas/news/ap/ap_story.html/National/AP.V3453.AP-Sniper-Shooting.html[/url]

[url]http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/10/10/1034061299477.html[/url]

Google News:

[url]http://news.google.com/news?q=Manassas+shooting&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=nn[/url]

Scott

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Holy crapola batman...

If this ain't terrorism, I don't know what is...

I think they are afraid to label it yet with the "T" word...

"Domestic Sniper" fits the anti-gun agenda better...
View Quote

You got it pegged, man.

Besides, can you think of a better reason to throttle Saddams ass?

The liberal media can't.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:39:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just got my GTA inspected there for emissions about 6 months ago. I went there because it's conveniently located next to I66 (It's right next to the on-ramp). Apparently somebody else found it's location convenient :(
View Quote

[b]Amazing how just a couple days ago with your first post after registering that YOU predicted the (excuse me) shooter would be from Manassass[/b]

You were asked on that thread and didn't respond to  the question. So I'm asking you again. What made you think the next shooting would happen there? The shooters pattern did not lead to that area, it was random at that point.

Am I being paranoid? Maybe. But the coincidence is just too much not to ask the question. So how about an answer that makes sense.

edited to correct my error about his first post.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#19]
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=147459[/url]

Here ya go.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 10:11:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Didn't some truck also get a window shot out this afternoon on the RT 234 bypass? I'm not clear on that?
View Quote

Yes.  I heard that on the radio about 4:30 pm today.  Apparently it was what appeared to be birdshot from a shotgun in an area where hunting is not uncommon.  Strange it was so close to this shooting!!

Re: the other shooting, once again the shooting is right off an on ramp to an Interstate.  Hopefully at some point the police will decide to saturate such areas with officers!

[b]Pthfndr[/b]  FWIW - Sad to say I had also predicted this location as one of a couple potential areas in an earlier post (and I hope I don’t regret not immediately deleting it!).  Actually, the location is pretty obvious (which makes me even more angry with the police).

I didn’t see PrivateCowboy’s post and I’m not trying to answer for him - hopefully, he will respond with his own reasoning.

Edited to add that having just read PC's post (which wasn't quite what I expected), I too am eager to hear his reasoning!  

However, he seems to have claimed the shooter was from Manassas, not that a shooting was going to take place there.    
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Actually PvtCowboy stated that the shooter would "be from" the Manassass area.

Lets not turn on our 'own' just yet. [:)] I know we're all on edge, chomping at the bit to get these dirtbags ourselves. Lets keep a cool head and consider this....we're all considered 'suspects' as per several expert 'profilers' that have already told people to call in those owning black rifles etc.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#22]
the more this happens the LESS it looks like terrorism, IMO.

if this sniper puke is smart, he could lay low for about a month, let things cool down, then start up again. if hes ex-military or high knowledgable about escape/evasion and put more distance between him and the target, this shit could go on for years.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 10:58:22 PM EDT
[#23]
True LA - but if he is an Al-Qaida slug consider this:

Sniping is serving this dirtbag 'three'-fold, the body count keeps getting higher and scaring the residents of the community. Police, politicians and media are beginning to speak of 'checking gun owners, massive police presence patrolling on our streets, etc. Exactly what the scumbags want - to shut us down from within. Choking us until we surrender our personal freedoms for security.

Sure, running into a mall with TNT strapped to his chest would be a horrible incident, but a high body count couldnt be guaranteed. And I think the home-grown US terrorist will consider this. Its one thing to have a dime a dozen in Palestine, but here in the US, I'm sure the operatives still out there will use whatever means to stay alive while inflicting the greatest number of casualties.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 1:39:07 AM EDT
[#25]
This better not affect gun laws here.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 1:54:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
.... Cause that could have been my friend and her hubby and kids. They need to catch that maniac!
View Quote

[b]Probably[/b] wouldn’t have been, IMHO.

This coward seems to be shooting at essentially lone people, presumably to give him extra time to flee.  The victim in Manassas was by himself.

Granted if one person had stayed with the car while the rest of the family went into the station, that person certainly would have been a possible target (again IMHO).

I’ve been telling everyone who will listen to me to not go out by themselves.  I’ve also been telling them to stay away from areas near interstate on-ramps.

Actually, they need to catch or [b]kill[/b] that maniac, either is fine with me!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:45:47 AM EDT
[#27]
WHOA

IBWAGV
(in before we all get visits)
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:09:28 AM EDT
[#28]
To be fair to Prvtcowboy, he predicted that the shooter live in the Manassas area and not that the next shooting is going to happen there. I questioned him and his answer was that the Manassas area have lots of shooting and hunting ranges. The sniper might have done some range time in that area. And that Manassas is located between Fredericksburg VA (one of the shooting occured there) and the MD shootings. Now that a shooting occured right there in Manassas, Prvtcowboy might be correct.

I live just one exit off I66 from where the last shooting occured. And Last night I had an eerie feeling that someone might take a shot at me while mowing my lawn. I may be paranoid but I can't stop thinking about it.

Since the crime have been committed in VA and that VA have the dead penalty, I hope they catch this guy and fry him. Lethal injection is too good for him.

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:16:29 AM EDT
[#29]
What are the odds that the shooter could be a member here? I have asked myself that from the beginning. It's no coincidence the guy who was raided at home's computer got snatched?

It's a matter of time until they are caught. When that happens, I hope a long, slow, painful death is forthcoming. I'd be happy to volunteer my services in effort to carry out a painful execution.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:17:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I left Woodbridge at 8p last night - and stopped at Manassas for gas 10 min later right when the shooting occured!!!-
I was at RT 28 though - but this is gettin too close for comfort.[shock]

DD
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:22:19 AM EDT
[#31]
My Ex Wife called me last nite about all this. She lives over on that side of Manassas. She's scared to death.

When I leave work now I find myself [i]scanning[/i] the parking lot....probably a good idea anyway...
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 5:16:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Trust me guys, it's not me, I live in Fairfax County. I don't even own any guns (only 23 though so that will change one day). I just predicted he lived in the Manassas area because it's close to the country (lots of people own rifles), close to many major roads (I66, Rt. 50, is half-way between Fredricksburg and the Maryland shootings, and has a lot of white ppl. A 5th one I thought of is (not sure how to decribe this) Manassas has a lot of people who work out of vans. It's near the affluent Fairfax county so much of the plumbers, carpenters, crafts/tradespeople live there, but commute to Fairfax in order to avoid paying the much higher taxes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I guess the police presence was too dense in Maryland right now so he went back across to Virginia?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:05:07 AM EDT
[#34]
He may be moving farther from the Martland shoots to try to give himself more lead time before the Helicopters get on scene, I think the Copters scare this guy the most.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#35]
At least they might have a good description of the vheicle now. A white Dodge Caravan Cargo Version. The model with only two seats and with no windows in the side doors or rear sides.

Fucker is probably using the remote power sliding doors and hatch so he doesn't have to leave the vehicle to close up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Wow, this nuts!

Cowboy, good call.

Your reasoning seems right on as well.

Geez, the cops should hand the case and any of the details there hinding to us so we can sort this shit out!

Anyone from that area have anymore predictions?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#37]
I think we should not rule out the Chevy Astro Panel van either, from a distance, the Astro looks a lot like the older Dodge Caravans.

I wonder if anybody has thought to call up the car makers and find out what the most common Panel type mini vans are and what numbers of them were white.

The white color is most often sold to fleets. do you suppose that the shooter or shooters might have access to both medium sized white Izuzu or Mitsu Trucks and small white mini panel vans?

Maybe we should start checking Arab American businesses that ship stuff.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#38]
F&L:

We in VA have 'copters too...they took all our Police horses last year.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#39]

I also was travelling from Woodbridge up to Sterling around 8pm last night.  I *really* want to just happen to run into these guys setting up for their next shot.  I carry all the time and wouldn't think twice.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Astros never looked to me like a Caravan, too tall.

But the Windstar and the GM APVs are cookie cutter copies of the outside of Chrysler minivans.

As I posted on the other thread. Because of the heavy .gov presance in the DC area he may have Government Service Administration plates on the van. Or it may even be a stolen GSA van. They have lots of cargo minivans in their fleet. If their accounting is as bad as the FBI and ATFs they might not even notice they have a van missing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#41]
All white Astrovans should be banned. It's for the children.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:47:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Well I had a evil thought.

Going on the assumption that all the media coverage of school security prompted the sniper to target a boy at a school...

Pick the absoulute WORST neighborhood in the District and dare him publicly to go and try to kill someone there.

How long do you think he would last with the homeboys out looking for him?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Last nites shooting was confirmed as by the same person(s).
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I just heard from my sister that last night's victim worked for her company and up until a year ago was in the same building as her!!

Here's an email she got from the CEO

It is with great sadness that I must announce that one of our valued employees Dean Meyers
was the victim of a shooting by the sniper plaguing the Washington metropolitan area.  He was
shot while fueling his vehicle after working late in our Manassas office last evening.  Dean had
achieved an important career milestone earlier this year when he celebrated his 20th anniversary
of service with us.  He initially joined the firm to work on the Flood Insurance Program and then
transferred to the Land Design and Survey Division.  He worked in that Division for the remainder
of his service with us, first in Fairfax and then recently in the Manassas office.  He was a veteran
of service in Vietnam.  All who knew him are quick to say the he was "one of the nicest people I
ever met."  Our heartfelt prayers and condolences go out to his family and friends.
Arrangements for services will be announced when they become known.

Time to get this ****er.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I doubt the white van was really involved.  Between all the talk about white box trucks and the way a big white vehicle stands out at night any witnesses probably heard a shot and immediately started looking for a white truck/van.

There's several spots around there that have a clear line of sight to the gas station, plenty of bushes to hide in and have parking lots behind them so the shooter could take the shot then walk to a waiting vehicle and drive away without being visible from the target area.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:42:08 PM EDT
[#46]
It is now being reported that they found the white van in question and are confident that the people in it were not involved. They are now saying that they have no vheicles that they are currently looking for. I am not clear if that means they gave up on the delivery truck angle too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:14:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Is race a factor in any of the shootings? I have not seen one photo of any of the victims. Is it a pretty diverse group?

As far as the shooter being a member here, I SERIOUSLY doubt it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What are the odds that the shooter could be a member here?
View Quote

I would say that it is a very real possibility.

I have asked myself that from the beginning. It's no coincidence the guy who was raided at home's computer got snatched?

View Quote

Hell, there are so many damn feds/state doj monitoring and participating on this site, it is only a matter of time before they seize the server as evidence.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top