Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
... must live in the same kinda town I do....one where they ticket you for your license plate light being out type of stuff...
menawhile, EVERYONE in the town knows who the hardcore violent criminals are (although there are relatively few) and what they are doing but they rarely seem to get caught.
View Quote

I'll be the cops in your town know where the "hardcore" violent criminals are too. But becuase of silly little things, like The Bill of Rights, they cant just go kick in their door and drag them off to the gulag. Instead they have to wait until they do something carelsss, like drive a car with a BO license plate light. Then they have a lawfull reason to detain, and can hopefully develop probable cause to arrest.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
the last time i checked it said protect and SERVE.
View Quote

Really, you better check again. That's a slogan used by one LE agency in the nation. I would be surprised to hear its also used by your small town PD.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
the last time i checked it said protect and SERVE.
View Quote

Really, you better check again. That's a slogan used by one LE agency in the nation. I would be surprised to hear its also used by your small town PD.
View Quote

And just what the hell was wrong with "to protect and serve" ???
How about these slogans, maybe they fit better.
"to respond slowly and hassle"
"to ticket and tax"
"to shoot unarmed subjects and burn dwellings"
" to give beatings and cover up"
"to serve no knocks and terrorize"
" to swat and play soldier"

BUT !!!  lets not forget the most important thing in this whole debate !!!
at least that LEO got home safe to his family after issuing that tax ticket.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#4]
[red][size=6][b]OBEY.[/b][/size=6][/red]

Officers are never wrong.
They work to keep you [i]safe[/i]
Safety is what all [i]good[/i] citizens want.
Don't you want to be a [i]good[/i] citizen too?
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 11:35:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a motto for one agency, not a mission statement for the whole industry.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/assets/Target.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#8]
superdav,

I'm just joshin ya...

[:)]
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey SPECTRE, thanks for stereotyping all of us.  Don't worry, we will still respond and do our jobs regardless of your uninformed opinion.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a motto for one agency, [red]not a mission statement for the whole industry.[/red]
View Quote

hmmm, maybe if that was the mission statement things would be different.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey SPECTRE, thanks for stereotyping all of us.  Don't worry, we will still respond and do our jobs regardless of your uninformed opinion.  
View Quote

Whats "uninformed" about my remarks ??
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Ah, yes AR15fan, all LEOs always respect the ole Bill O' Rights, am I correct?

And let me tell you, the folks that are always up to no good, the ones whose names everyone knows, they never do anything stupid, careless, illegal, etc. that could give anyone any legitimate reason to obtain a warrant, make an arrest, etc.

You mean to say that a guy (let's pretend he is a big time meth dealer and it's not exactly a big secret) gets raided by the cops, oh....say 3 times in a month because the cops think another criminal is there. They never find the guy they're looking for and despite hours spent by the cops at this guy's house he is never arrested or charged with anything. Is it because the guy is super smart? (he solicits his neighbors for drug sales) Is it cause the guy has nothing at his house to hide? (he often keeps his triple beam scales on his dresser along with baggies tho he's smart enough to hide the drugs in hi sock drawer). I suspect not.

Let me propose a different scenario. This is a small town. It, like everywhere else, is run on what we call here, "The Good ol' boy system" and this same system operates just about everywhere and is epitomized by the principle "It's not what you know, it who you know."

Call me paranoid, but I'm not so sure that everything is run on the up and up, if you know what I mean. Corruption, bribery, conspiracy and lots of other fun stuff is not isolated in small pockets in the big cities. People are greedy everywhere. I'm not suggesting that piddly tickets are a conspiracy so please don't get me wrong.

I would just suggest that something is rotten in Denmark (or a small town near you) and that much more serious crime (and by serious I mean those crimes that carry greater punishment because from the punishment we can infer the relative severity of the crime, at least in the eyes of the lawmakers) often goes unhindered while police zealously pull over teenagers for tailights and license plate lights. Wow, I feel safer already.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn! How am I to ever get to work redgoat? Now I found out spinning tires is a failure to control a vehicle I am gonna have to stop and hand out "citizens arrest" tickets to half the cops I see. And as for brakes locking up without cause it happens quite often. I am a mechanic, I see it fairly often, it can have multiple causes. As for spinning tires read your drivers manual, it happens and is even recommended at times, check the section under rocking vehicles in snow or mud. Oh, but getting stuck in the snow would be the same. But Mr. doughnut belly, can you give a "moving violation" to a stuck, non-moving car?
Why do you think new vehicles are coming out with traction control? what about them thar fancy new anti-lock brakes? Geez, it is arseholes like you giving cops a bad name.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#14]
The thing that bothers me the most about this thread is the "ideas" on vehicle control: Every Part Of The Car Is Under Your Absolute Control At All Times And Any Problems Are Your Fault. It sounds like some of you have never driven a powerful rear-wheel drive car in the rain/wet streets. Sometimes, the tires spin, esp. when accelerating from a stop. Pickups, with very little weight on the rear tires when unloaded, and which also usually have engines with lots of low-end torque and high gear ratios are especially suseptible to this. Spinning the tires a little when accelerating from a stop on a wet road does not constitute dangerous/incompetent driving or a loss of control. You just release the gas pedal for a second and ease back into it, and you'll be on your way again. It's not like he was doing a Top Fuel style burnout or something.

Now some mechanics have even posted known problems which can cause the VEHICLE to do these things. What do you know, the vehicle with some 1000+ major parts does not always do exactly what the driver intends it to do.

However, while the cop was acting like a dick, you are probably better off being polite and making your arguments to the judge.

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I dislike the actions of some police officers. However, I believe that there are dicks in every profession, and someday, I will eventually have to deal with them too. The difference is that even though I may have a bad experience with an LEO that has a horrible attitude, I or my family may need him one day. Plain and simple. I know that he will come full blast no matter what the situation. I appreciate the fact that BGs are removed from the street by these guys everyday. I appreciate the fact that they intervene when my neighbor is beating the shit out of his wife. I appreciate the fact that they dont beat the shit out of her too for attacking them when they go to haul the POS to jail. The list goes on and on...! Man, these guys do a shitty job....do you want it? I dont! I try not to stereotype a whole profession based on a couple of negative experiences with dicks. Otherwise...all technicians would be fucking fat ugly nazi smelly loudmouthed shitheads.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Damn! How am I to ever get to work redgoat? Now I found out spinning tires is a failure to control a vehicle I am gonna have to stop and hand out "citizens arrest" tickets to half the cops I see. And as for brakes locking up without cause it happens quite often. I am a mechanic, I see it fairly often, it can have multiple causes. As for spinning tires read your drivers manual, it happens and is even recommended at times, check the section under rocking vehicles in snow or mud. Oh, but getting stuck in the snow would be the same. But Mr. doughnut belly, can you give a "moving violation" to a stuck, non-moving car?
Why do you think new vehicles are coming out with traction control? what about them thar fancy new anti-lock brakes? Geez, it is arseholes like you giving cops a bad name.
View Quote

exactly
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The thing that bothers me the most about this thread is the "ideas" on vehicle control: Every Part Of The Car Is Under Your Absolute Control At All Times And Any Problems Are Your Fault. It sounds like some of you have never driven a powerful rear-wheel drive car in the rain/wet streets. Sometimes, the tires spin, esp. when accelerating from a stop. Pickups, with very little weight on the rear tires when unloaded, and which also usually have engines with lots of low-end torque and high gear ratios are especially suseptible to this. Spinning the tires a little when accelerating from a stop on a wet road does not constitute dangerous/incompetent driving or a loss of control. You just release the gas pedal for a second and ease back into it, and you'll be on your way again. It's not like he was doing a Top Fuel style burnout or something.

Now some mechanics have even posted known problems which can cause the VEHICLE to do these things. What do you know, the vehicle with some 1000+ major parts does not always do exactly what the driver intends it to do.

However, while the cop was acting like a dick, you are probably better off being polite and making your arguments to the judge.

View Quote

exactly again!
i will pay anyone including cops the same respect they pay me. the man jumped to conclusions and did not care to here anything from me because i was not a good ole boy. i was, as far as he was concerned, from out of town and thats all that mattered. maybe i should have told him my address was incorrect the whole situation probably would have been different because i would then be almost a good ole boy, but i didnt realize my address was wrong on my license till it was too late. i know how this town works my neighbor was  a former cop here has told me how it works. he told me if i had been in a mini van or had been a local i would not have been stopped. and i defintely wouldnt have gotten a ticket, there is a problem with that and i bet redgoat doesnt see it. look at the facts its obvious by the pictures that there is not near enough room to get up to a high rate of speed or to floor it and smoke the tires. i could not have been going more than 5mph, i never lost control and i didnt deserve a big hassle and a ticket, i have a clean driving record and there is a reason for that its not by accident.

i'm done with this subject.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I have to agree with TheRedGoat on this one.
If a Police Officer has you pulled over and you feel that he might be out of line or is wrong, the worst thing you can do is argue. That is what the courts are for and if you feel the Officer really crossed the line, then their is a complaint process you can follow at the Police Dept where the Officer works. Most Police Officers have camcorders and all will have microcassette recorders so remember if you get into a pissing match with the Officer and you lose your cool and start cussing and arguing you are only "shooting yourself in the foot". Nine times out of ten if you are polite with the Officer he won't write you a ticket or he may issue a written warning. Not trying to upset anyone with this post, just giving my 2 cents..
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#19]
ok read again sgtddaly, the argument came AFTER the ticket, damn i got to give it to you cops, you sure stick together, (and see what you want to see) as soon as the guy looked at my license he said i'm gonna have to write you a citation. that was it, no asking me why, nothing, looked at the address saw the out of town address, wrote the ticket

one more bad guy down!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Damn! How am I to ever get to work redgoat? Now I found out spinning tires is a failure to control a vehicle I am gonna have to stop and hand out "citizens arrest" tickets to half the cops I see.
View Quote

Riiiight, half the cops you see are spinning their tires right now.  On second thought, I want you to run up to the window of every cop you see and wave your small, black, Citizen's Arrest/Ticket  book.  Try to look deranged, and swing the book at them in a threatening manner.

And as for brakes locking up without cause it happens quite often.

View Quote

Uh-huh.  Right.  People all over are just driving a long and BOOM! brakes are locking up.

I am a mechanic, I see it fairly often, it can have multiple causes.
View Quote

Let's see, it is caused by two things, an action and a reaction, right?

Driver presses brakes too hard, and they lock up.  If the driver did not intend it, then they were not in control.  If the brakes were faulty, then they are operating a vehicle that is unsafe.  Both of these scenarios are covered under the law.

As for spinning tires read your drivers manual, it happens and is even recommended at times, check the section under rocking vehicles in snow or mud.

View Quote

Read your dictionary to look up the meaning of the word "control".

Oh, but getting stuck in the snow would be the same. But[b] Mr. doughnut belly[/b], can you give a "moving violation" to a stuck, non-moving car?

View Quote

Oh, that's right.  Name calling is much more effective than exageration...stereotyping is also good.  [rolleyes]

View Quote

Why?  Because of great marketing.  Options are where the profit lies.  

As for giving cops a bad name, they are like any other profession.  For every dozen, you are going to have a few bad apples.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:14:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
TRG, no matter how fucking polite you are to a cop, when your'e in a BMW, you get the damn ticket.  

For years I was always polite and respectful, and got out of many tickets, while in my honda, my nissan, my jeep, all of them for speeding.

Now with my BMW, I was polite for a year, and did not get out of one ticket.

So now I just let them know what I think.  And I ask them how they feel about being tax collectors.

But at least they understand I can afford a good lawyer if needed.

Some cops are worth a shit.

Traffic cops are little tax collectors with a badge.  

It's all about the revenue.

View Quote

I find this particular post especially hilarious.

This is a guy who admittedly speeds a LOT, and gets pulled over a LOT - and he is complaining about the fact that NOW he actually has to pay for breaking the law, whereas in the past he could sometimes weasel out of it.  Yeah - I'm sure it's the car!

The cops only have the opportunity to be "tax collectors with a badge" when you allow them to be by CHOOSING to speed. You know, you could deny them all that "revenue" by the simple act of letting up on the gas a little.

Who here is exactly to blame?  The cops?  Your BMW?  Duh.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:21:17 AM EDT
[#22]
[img]http://www.truckworld.com/Shows-Events/01-bloomsburg/burnout-01-600.jpg[/img]

Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over??

Leadfoot: Uh...gee...um was just trying to dry my tires off....you know when I was coming out of the carwash>>

Come on man, you got caught doing a half assed burnout. Next time do it right. [;)]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#23]
If ya could just take it to court.You have a good shot of it getting thrown out. I moved to WA. state and didn't get my tag changed right away. I was pulled over for anything and everything. I got pulled over for haveing an outdated tag .It was 1990 and Ihad a 1989 tag on it. In Georgia you had until March of the following year to change it out.He said I pulled you over for an expired tag.I told him it may seem expired but it really wasn't .Told me I didn't know what I was talkin about. I tried to explain to him .Wouldn't listen.I went to traffic court and the Judge pulled Ga laws. He told the officer he could have pulled the law in his patrol car and saved the tax payers money and time. The judge apologized to me and asked me to go ahead and replace it with the WA. State tag. And did scold me for not already doing it. But technacally I was still driveing an legael tag.When I got it change to a WA. tag I quit getting pulled over. Go figure...War Dawg
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:30:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The thing that bothers me the most about this thread is the "ideas" on vehicle control: Every Part Of The Car Is Under Your Absolute Control At All Times And Any Problems Are Your Fault. It sounds like some of you have never driven a powerful rear-wheel drive car in the rain/wet streets. Sometimes, the tires spin, esp. when accelerating from a stop.

View Quote

Seriously, you guys live in some fantasy of 'except for me, in my case, because THEN the law doesn't apply!'

Pickups, with very little weight on the rear tires when unloaded, and which also usually have engines with lots of low-end torque and high gear ratios are especially suseptible to this.

View Quote

No Kidding.  Wow, well then I guess, in that instance we can change the law to accomodate you.  Shucks, glad you pointed that out.

Spinning the tires a little when accelerating from a stop on a wet road does not constitute dangerous/incompetent driving or a loss of control.
View Quote

I don't disagree.  Lots of people underestimate the road conditions, and over estimate the needed horsepower for a smooth acceleration fro ma dead stop.  Mistakes happen.

You just release the gas pedal for a second and ease back into it, and you'll be on your way again. It's not like he was doing a Top Fuel style burnout or something.

View Quote

According to his story, he spun a tire at least once, possibly twice and a tire 'might' have even locked up when he came to a stop.  As an outside observer, watching his driving, it would appear he had three seperate incidents in a 2 minute time period where he failed to control his vehicle's behavior.  That is a clear indication of unsafe driving.  

View Quote

What the mechanice posted is true.  It is also true that operating a vehicle that is known to be defective is illegal.  I am not trying to defend every traffic law, but seriously, don't you WANT the people next to you on the highway, approaching you at an intersection, to have either complete control over their vehicle or to NOT drive in the first place?  

Regardless of the law.

View Quote

Maybe the cop was.  But judging from the response of the original poster, it would appear the anger management issue might have been the one with the spinning tire?

TRG

ps.  Done with the thread guys.  Heading out to the Hun's farm in a few minutes.  I will try to spin my tires as I leave the parking lot!  w00t!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:32:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Geeze Redgoat...

I used to have a little Toyota pickup, so I know how easy it is to spin the tires in wet conditions.  Heck, I almost spun out on a few wet roads before.  You're from Texas, and I suspect you've probably driven a pickup before.

Pulling out of a driveway with wet tires, being a pickup, it would be SO easy to accidentally spin the tires.  You are used to giving it X amount of throttle, but after washing your truck, you neglect to take into account that the tires are wet and might slip.  

There's no law breaking in that.  If he flew out into the road and spun around and went into a ditch, well, that's a different story.  

if that were me, I'd contest it, take it to court, and argue it.  More than likely it would be dismissed.

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:34:33 PM EDT
[#26]
TheRedGoat: Zero Tolerance for Tire Slipage

LMFAO
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't be lippy with [b]law-enforcement[/b]... just shut the hell up, bend over, and pay the "fine"......  Have a nice Day sir...
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Hate to say it but you'd better start carrying around a bundle of towels, a mop and bucket, a load of kitty litter, a big broom and dust pan, and a few trash bags.

Dry your truck after every wash.

Mop the parking lot and the adjacent street.

Lay down a layer of kitty litter to pick up any moisture you may have missed.

Sweep up kitty litter into trash bags.

It's the only way to be sure you're not going to be disrespectful.

Barney Fife was harassing you - plain and simple. You may have startled him out of a nap.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
i know it spun once but it hardly spun at all, didnt even squeal, i was going maybe 5 mph not hardly unsafe, not worthy of a ticket, not worthy of being called a liar! (because my truck was no longer wet  i was lying?)
so youre saying redgoat that you too have NEVER spun a tire in wet conditions?
View Quote

Nope: I have never, ever, ever, ever! in my whole life never spun a tire. What! what! calle me a lier I say!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#30]
[b]Quoted:
Riiiight, half the cops you see are spinning their tires right now. On second thought, I want you to run up to the window of every cop you see and wave your small, black, Citizen's Arrest/Ticket book. Try to look deranged, and swing the book at them in a threatening manner.[/b]

Exactly, don't you DARE point out a LEO who is breaking the law. [rolleyes]

I see cops spin their tires EVERY DAY !!
I see cops speed EVERY DAY !! (and no, they did'nt have their rollers on either)
I see motorcycle cops (tax collectors) park ON THE SIDEWALK at an intersection and flash their radar at people EVERY DAY !!!  And BTW, it's illegal to park or ride a motorcycle on the sidewalks, even for the elite ocifers. I know if I did that they sure as hell would tax, errrr, I mean ticket me for doing it.

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I have to agree about living in a fantasy...the LEO who gave this ticket & made the guy wait was unprofessional & more so by saying it was over disrespect. & TheRedGoat, I'd lump you into that category too for making this such an issue to defend the guy's conduct.

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#32]
The thing that TheRedGoat isn't telling everyone is that he used to be an officer in my town.  He used to pull people over and scream at them about "Nippin' it in the bud".  We suspect that he was talking about some sort of a drug bust, but we are still unsure about that.  He then decided to pull over the truckers that were getting a run at the hill close to Mt Pilot.  They usually did 5mph over the limit so they wouldn't bog down on the steep hill beside the mountain.  TheRedGoat kept telling the local sherrif named Andy that "The law is the law" and he didn't care whether the truckers made it up that hill or not.  Later he started to get a bit too antsy about enforcing each law to the red letter and started telling people that questioned his authority "I've got my bullet!"  This threat was too strong for the citizens of Mayberry and they decided to have him fired.  We don't know what happened to him after he left town, but I think we've found him now.  He resides in Texas and he is back to his old ways it seems.  Lately we've hired a guy to impersonate TheRedGoat and he rolls around in the old car that TheRedGoat made famous and frisks everyone he sees while making that "alarmed" face that the local townspeople are all so familiar with.  Maybe TheRedGoat can come back to visit us and give the impersonator some pointers on how to write tickets and exactly what "Nip it!" means.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey redgoat, or should I say deputy B. Fife ;)
Sorry I am so slow but I just figured it out, you are a TROLL!! Yup trolling for flames because you are bored. Ya had me going, You can come on out now, you've been caught :)
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#34]
my word! i'm soooo glad the public safety officer gave this desperado a ticket! why, it's obvious he saved the lives and property of countless numbers of law abiding citizens from this "out of control "speed deamon"! and to 'disrespect' the long arm of the law in such a flagrant manner!

and thanks to this observant officer of the peace, this "possibly defective" vehicle was duely taxed for a brake that locked up and a too light rear end which is prone to breaking traction! ignorance is no excuse! no one should drive anything less than 100% SAFE vehicle under ANY circumstances!

shame and woe to this lawless rascal, who dares have the impertinance to question...nay, defend, his behavior!

fine him! levy and assess court costs! cause his insurance to rise! add points to his license! write pages of public ridicule about this heinous act of scuflaw behavior!

and...put this on his permenant record!

methinks someone has watched to much 'dragnet' as a youth!

book 'em, danno! failure to control...in the first degree!

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#35]
[img]http://www.yesterdayland.com/images/features/articles/don_knotts/don_10.gif[/img]
Finally got a pic of TheRedGoat so you could all see him for yourself.  If this officer pulls you over, DON'T disagree with what he is saying or he will have to use his bullet.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Three questions for you

1. What did he write you a ticket for?
2. Were your tires on or off the Car Washes property?
3. Why does this site always bash cops?

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Three questions for you

1. What did he write you a ticket for?
2. Were your tires on or off the Car Washes property?
3. Why does this site always bash cops?

View Quote

i thought this thread would be dead by now but anyway here goes lawman
1. unatentive driving, according to nieghbor(former local P.D.)it is a catch all ticket, a city ordinance written to cover most traffic violations and  all the fine collected from the ticket goes to city. state gets nothing

2.the tire (only the right side spins at low speed or when no load is on truck) spun pulling out of car wash drive, it could have spun on road or parking lot, i dont know it spun for only a brief time, i left off gas as soon as it spun because my 295/50 tires are exspensive and i dont like burning them up at carwashes

3. we only bash assholes in general not nessecarily cops, if they happen to be a cop, so be it

i dont hate cops, i have a few freinds who are or have been cops, a friend of mines son is currently at quantico marine base undergoing FBI training, no shit! but sometimes they overstep their boundries and piss people off, they abuse their authority and make all the other cops look bad when they screw someone.
so if your a cop and you perform your job as you are expected to do (get the bad guys and not collect taxes) we are gratefull for your service and thank you for doing so. if any of you are of the asshole variety then fuck off, quit wasting tax dollars and making the good cops look bad.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#38]
The reason I ask is because, here in Oklahoma a police officer can't enforce traffic laws on private property, but, we can stop you for reckless driving, DUI, APC, on private property. that's the reason I asked you what kind of ticket he wrote you. IF you spin your tires here I would write you a ticket for reckless driving because, when you spin your tires you don't have control of your car.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#39]
sounds like the cops in batesville,ar.
or would that be bay,ar.
the pic didn't look familar so please enlighten us as to which town it was,maybe marion just outside of memphis,
oh wait a minute el darado,ar.
come on dude tell us so we can all stay the hell out of that town.
i used to live there i know the cop mentality in ar.
josam
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Last time I checked Contempt of Cop is not an indictable or prosecutable offense.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Dear Mr./Mrs. Citizen

Well, I guess you have figured me out. I seem to fit neatly into the category you place me in. I'm stereotyped, characterized, standardized, classified, grouped, and always typical. I am the lousy cop.

Unfortunately, the reverse isn't true. I can never figure you out. From birth you teach your children that I am a person to beware of. Then, you are shocked when they identify me with my traditional enemy....The criminal.

You accuse me of coddling juveniles, until I catch your kid doing something wrong.

You take an hour lunch, and several coffee breaks each day, then, point me out as a loafer if you see me have just one cup.

You pride yourself on your polished manners, but think nothing of interrupting my meals at noon with your troubles.

You raise hell about the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but, let me catch you doing the same thing, and all of a sudden I am picking on you.

You know ALL the traffic laws, but, never got one single ticket you deserved.

You shout "Abuse of Authority" if you see me driving fast to an emergency call, but raise 9 kinds of hell if I take more than 30 seconds responding to yours.

You call it "Part of my job" if someone hits me, but yell "Police brutality" if I strike back.

You would never think of telling your dentist how to pull a badly decayed tooth, or your doctor how to take out your appendix, but, you are ALWAYS willing to give me pointers on how to be a police officer.

You talk to me in a manner, and use language that would assure a bloody nose from anyone else, but, you expect me to stand there and take your verbal abuse without batting an eye.

You cry, "Something has to be done about crime", but you cant be bothered to get involved.

You have no use for me what so ever, but of course, it's OK for me to change a tire for your wife, or deliver your baby in the back seat of my patrol car enroute to the hospital, or, save your sons life with CPR and mouth to mouth resuscitation, or even forsake time with MY family working long hours overtime trying to find your lost daughter.

So, dear citizen, you stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my job, calling me every name in the book, but, never stop a minute to think that your property, your family, and maybe your life might someday depend on one thing......Me.

Respectfully,
A Lousy Cop

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Never stop a minute to think that your property, your family, and maybe your life might someday depend on one thing......Me.
View Quote

Exactly! Like, lets say a car is driving down the highway and is covering ground at the rate of 70 miles per hour, hardly discernable by the naked eye from the 60 miles traveled per hour limit set by the super safety crew, then Mr. Officer pulls that sucker over and takes his money!!! My life is saved!!

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Dear Mr./Mrs. Citizen

Well, I guess you have figured me out. I seem to fit neatly into the category you place me in. I'm stereotyped, characterized, standardized, classified, grouped, and always typical. I am the lousy cop.

Unfortunately, the reverse isn't true. I can never figure you out. From birth you teach your children that I am a person to beware of. Then, you are shocked when they identify me with my traditional enemy....The criminal.

You accuse me of coddling juveniles, until I catch your kid doing something wrong.

You take an hour lunch, and several coffee breaks each day, then, point me out as a loafer if you see me have just one cup.

You pride yourself on your polished manners, but think nothing of interrupting my meals at noon with your troubles.

You raise hell about the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but, let me catch you doing the same thing, and all of a sudden I am picking on you.

You know ALL the traffic laws, but, never got one single ticket you deserved.

You shout "Abuse of Authority" if you see me driving fast to an emergency call, but raise 9 kinds of hell if I take more than 30 seconds responding to yours.

You call it "Part of my job" if someone hits me, but yell "Police brutality" if I strike back.

You would never think of telling your dentist how to pull a badly decayed tooth, or your doctor how to take out your appendix, but, you are ALWAYS willing to give me pointers on how to be a police officer.

You talk to me in a manner, and use language that would assure a bloody nose from anyone else, but, you expect me to stand there and take your verbal abuse without batting an eye.

You cry, "Something has to be done about crime", but you cant be bothered to get involved.

You have no use for me what so ever, but of course, it's OK for me to change a tire for your wife, or deliver your baby in the back seat of my patrol car enroute to the hospital, or, save your sons life with CPR and mouth to mouth resuscitation, or even forsake time with MY family working long hours overtime trying to find your lost daughter.

So, dear citizen, you stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my job, calling me every name in the book, but, never stop a minute to think that your property, your family, and maybe your life might someday depend on one thing......Me.

Respectfully,
A Lousy Cop

View Quote

Dear Lousy Cop,

Well, I guess you have me figured out.  As I'm not in the law enforcement business, I must be the "enemy".  I'm stereotyped, characterized, standardized, classified, grouped, and always typical.  I am the lowly citizen.

Unfortunately, the reverse isn't true. I can never figure you out. Ever since I was a small child, I can remember my parents teaching me that if I am in trouble, go to a police officer.  I will teach my children the same thing.  I wonder, though, what will my children think when they are treated as the "enemy"?

You accuse me of bashing cops.  But yet, when a cop does something that deserves criticism not only from the public, but from his peers, you jump on the bandwagon to defend him.

You speed through red lights just so you don't have to wait with the great unwashed masses.  And yet, when I go through a yellow light because somebody is tailgating me at or above the speed limit, you give me a ticket.

You pride yourself on knowing the law, but think nothing of it when you break the law yourself.

You raise hell about people who break the law, but let me catch you doing the same thing and suddenly I'm bashing you.

You know all the laws, but never once made a mistake in charging somebody who didn't deserve it.

You joke about "Abuse of Authority", but can't believe that it would ever apply to you.  After all, you're infallible.  

You call it "to be expected" if somebody hits me, but charge me with assault, or worse, if I defend myself.

You would never think to tell a citizen that he or she is driving recklessly by accidentally spinning a tire, or by sliding through an icy intersection because the city that employs you decided to wait "until it was necessary to sand the streets", unless you were a cop.  Yet, you'll gladly issue a ticket without listening to the circumstances, just because you can.

You come into my life, and sometimes my house, and treat me in a way that would assure at least a bloody nose, if you weren't a cop.  But, I don't have a choice in taking your abuse, unless I want to be charged with "disorderly conduct".

I'd like to do something about crime, but it seems my help isn't wanted.  I couldn't possibly understand until I've "felt the weight of the badge".

You'd have no use for me whatsoever, if it weren't for the fact that part of my property taxes and sales taxes go toward keeping you in business another day.  Beyond that, I'm just another whining citizen who might need your Superman-like powers one day.  What a terrible burden I must be to you.

So, dear lousy cop, you come here and post this drivel and expect to change opinions.  Meanwhile, you're too busy feeling persecuted and self-righteous to understand that many of us do support what you do.  But when we happen to question the actions of one of your "brothers", suddenly in your mind we must hate all cops.  Have you ever considered that if you would remove the so-called bad apples yourselves, we wouldn't have much to complain about?  

Respectfully,

A lowly citizen.

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Wow, long thread, my 2cent's.

The cop threw the first attitude, not even close to professional. Goes with small towns I guess.

I got pulled over a few weeks ago, 7:30 am, bringing my son & 2 friends to summer school.

About 58 in a 45 zone. Never saw the cop. New Suburban z71, very smooth & quiet, I  wasn't going too fast for conditions, but the radar said 58.

The curbed it right away & the cop waved me to a safer spot.

First words, "Looks like you are running late". I replied, "No right on time", with a big smile.

Cop says, "I got you doing 58 in a 45 zone, we've been getting complaints from the residents (of course I am one of the residents)"

I think I said sorry, not quite clear on that, but I recall that I was trying not to admit to anything as I honestly did not note the speed or feel I was being reckless.

Cop walks back to run the plate & in 2 or 3 minutes returns.

"You are within the range where I can use my discresion, and I'm giving you a warning, no further action required"

I said thank's officer, have a nice day, AS SHE WALKED BACK TO HER MOTORCYCLE.

That professional attitude impressed the hell out of me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 7:02:59 AM EDT
[#45]
I WILL keep outta this one!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 7:10:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have to agree about living in a fantasy...the LEO who gave this ticket & made the guy wait was unprofessional & more so by saying it was over disrespect. & TheRedGoat, I'd lump you into that category too for making this such an issue to defend the guy's conduct.

View Quote

I don't think TRG is defending the LEO. But I think he is pointing out that tires don't magically spin, nor do brakes lock up on their own. TRG, may want superdav to take a little responsibility for his own actions.

EDIT-------------------------------------------

I just read the 295/50 tire part of this..... Those tires are 11+ inches wide. Thats a mighty wide patch of rubber on the ground.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:16:10 AM EDT
[#48]
I always purposely spin my tires when I leave the car wash. I drive a new Z28 and the back end has a tendancy to come around when the back tires are wet. I'd rather spin them on purpose and clean them off than pull out into traffic and have it happen and endanger those around me. I wouldn't consider it reckless and at no time am I not able to maintain control of my vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

[red]Traffic cops are little tax collectors with a badge.  

It's all about the revenue.[/red]

TXLEWIS
View Quote

You speak the truth!

I couldn't disagree more wiht RedGoat(I'm guessing your an LEO?)  & I agree the cop that gave superdav the ticket was a prick!
 I have a 3400fwd car & if I don't drive like a granny when it's raining my tires will spin often when accelerating from a stop.
 AND when this happens I'm not driving recklessly & the vehicle isn't out of control.
 Quite the opposite, the vehicle is in my control & not a danger to anyone. How out of control can a vehicle be at 5-10mph ???
 Ever here of physics?  RWD truck with a high torque V-8= not hard to spin the unladen rearend with modest acceleration.

If the cop wanted to give hime a warning fine bt a ticket was just to make a point &/or get some revenue for the city/count/state.

[b]WHERE THE 30MINS INVOLVED IN THIS LITTLE  CHARADE BY THE 2 LEO'S AN EFFECTIVE USE OF RESOURCES IN FIGHTING CRIME & KEEPING THE PEACE???????[/b]

I'm sure those taxpaid dollars for these 2 jerkoffs salaries where well spent for that half-hour they wasted doing this.
 Why didn't the 1st cop just chastise superdav some & tell him to take it easy & let him go?

I agree that superdav's attitude ensured he did get a ticket but the cops arrogance fostered this reaction. Holding a guy that squealed his tires for 15-20mins ??  WTF??

Another hardened criminal made an example!

That one cop was on an ego trip.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Spinning the tires a little when accelerating from a stop on a wet road does not constitute dangerous,incompetent driving or a loss of control.
View Quote

I don't disagree.  Lots of people underestimate the road conditions, and over estimate the needed horsepower for a smooth acceleration fro ma dead stop.  Mistakes happen.

You just release the gas pedal for a second and ease back into it, and you'll be on your way again. It's not like he was doing a Top Fuel style burnout or something.
View Quote

According to his story, he spun a tire at least once, possibly twice and a tire 'might' have even locked up when he came to a stop.  As an outside observer, watching his driving, it would appear he had three seperate incidents in a 2 minute time period where he failed to control his vehicle's behavior.  That is a clear indication of unsafe driving.
View Quote

Unsafe driving or just Noisy driving???

All the above could happen & not be unsafe!

What the mechanice posted is true.  It is also true that operating a vehicle that is known to be defective is illegal.  I am not trying to defend every traffic law, but seriously, don't you WANT the people next to you on the highway, approaching you at an intersection, to have either complete control over their vehicle or to NOT drive in the first place?  
View Quote

Again, the implication is just because someone is spinning the tires the vehicle is out of control.
A person can maintain control of the vehicle at all times & spin the tires.
I've done it many times & have yet to crash!

TRG
ps.  Done with the thread guys.  Heading out to the Hun's farm in a few minutes.  I will try to spin my tires as I leave the parking lot!  w00t!
View Quote

Hope you get a ticket from some a-hole cop! [;D]

Have fun at the shoot!!!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top