Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2002 1:50:02 PM EDT
Washington DC suburbanites should start wearing class III body armor, eh?
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you wear the plates too, it might not do the trick. Besides, he/she/they have already demonstrated proficiency at head shots.
Who ever this monster is, I hope they gut shoot him and let him bleed out slow.....
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 2:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
We only have 1 head shot victim, right?

The rest have been body shots, I believe.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Class III alone won't stop rifle rounds...
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Washington DC suburbanites should start wearing class III body armor, eh?
View Quote

That's prolly banned too... but only for the proletariat.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

SURE WILL.

Level III is tested to stop 6 rounds of .308 Winchester FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) (NATO 7.62 X 51 mm), and can handle lesser threats, such as AK-47 / Kalashnikov 7.62 X 39 mm Full Metal Jacket (FMJ).
View Quote

Maryland tried to ban body armor, but it didn't go through.
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Class IIa, II, and IIIa are what are considered "soft armor" designed to stop handgun and some subgun rounds ranging from 9mm to .44mag. Class III armor is the beginning of rifle armor and almost always uses some type of steel, or composite plate that is rated for multiple hits from .223, .308, and 7.62x39. Class IV Armor is rated for at least single-hit protection from 30-06 AP (M2). These plates are generally made of some type of ceramic and the dispersal of energy in stopping the AP round will shatter the ballistic plate hence the reason for only single hit protection.

This is a very brief overview and may contain slight errors in the info. It is what I remember from memory out of the [url=http://www.ammo-oracle.com]Ammo FAQ[/url] which also has a link to the official NIJ ratings on the net.

I've got my USMC Interceptor and my SAPI plates.... do you? But unless I have some way to conceal it I imagine a sniper would then aim for a head shot if he/she saw the armor.

Glad I'm on the West Coast... until it starts happening here God forbid. Stay safe over there you guys.

[edited cuz I'z dumm]
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

SURE WILL.

Level III is tested to stop 6 rounds of .308 Winchester FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) (NATO 7.62 X 51 mm), and can handle lesser threats, such as AK-47 / Kalashnikov 7.62 X 39 mm Full Metal Jacket (FMJ).
View Quote

Maryland tried to ban body armor, but it didn't go through.
View Quote

Ah, yes...you are correct...I was thinking of IIIa...but isn't that Class III kind of bulky and obvious???
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Not if you just duct-tape the protective plates to your skin
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
2 out of 7 are known to be head shots, others have not been divulged.

One head shot known to be seated, stationary target other was moving from descriptions reported.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top