Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/8/2013 2:44:34 PM EDT
I've got a debt collector calling me.  It's a zombie debt - like 15 years old.

I've told them the statute of limitations has expired and to stop calling me, but they keep on.  I know I could send them a cease and desist letter and I also know I could sue them for illegal debt collections.  I'm not going to do either, though.

Can I get in trouble for lying to them?  I'd like to start telling them stories.  Maybe that I've won the lottery.  Maybe that I'm a male prostitute who is getting older and not making as much money.  I could be hooked on drugs or drunk every time they call.  Maybe my dog just died and I need a shoulder to cry on.  The point is that it all would be blatant lies.

Is it illegal?
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:45:39 PM EDT
[#1]
you can tell them anything you want, just don't send any money. If you send even a cent the debt become active again.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Dave's not here man
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Why would it be illegal?
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bill collectors exist because there are liars in the world.  

No argument.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#6]
No it is not; they lie all the time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck em, who cares if its illegal or not?

And I highly doubt it is.

You want to stop them fast, tell them after they have been particularly nasty that you recorded the conversation, and you are taking it to your states attorney general, because if you can prove abuse, they MUST pay a large fine, and if you catch them doing it, and prove to the owners that an agent did, they will send you a check immediately, because they don't want the shit storm from an AG.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#8]
If you keep talking to them they will keep calling.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I tell people like that I'm a male nurse.
Never hear from them again.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Of course not.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#11]
You can lie to him just like he will lie to you.  "No Ingles."
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
you can tell them anything you want, just don't send any money. If you send even a cent the debt become active again.

Play close attention to this.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Pay The Debt?

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bill collectors exist because there are liars in the world.  

That is a damned profound quote.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I pay my bills so I wouldn't know nor would I need to.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:49:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is a thought....Pay your fucking debts.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:50:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I tell people like that I'm a male nurse.
Never hear from them again.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Tell the truth. What is the bill for?
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've told them the statute of limitations has expired

Eh? That's for criminal matters.

If it's a legitimate debt, why not make them an offer? Settle, get it all in writing, feel good about yourself, etc.

To answer your question: no, I'm sure it isn't illegal to lie to them.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Or, just pay the damn debt... old or not.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#21]
How much is the debt?
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I pay my bills so I wouldn't know nor would I need to.

Oh boy do you have alot to learn.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Did you fufill your debt?
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#24]
If you owe the money, just pay it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I was a debt collector for a few months, it is not illegal. I had a great time doing it too but I got a better offer and moved on. They notate everything you say, sometimes I would literally fall out of my chair with laughter at some of the notes. Go ahead and lie to them and tell them your a gay prostitute it will probably crack them up. When I was a debt collector in 2004 I think you could say anything you wanted as long as it wasn't a physical threat, I was allowed to lie and call them horrible names all I wanted, man I had some schemes.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:52:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's a legitimate debt, why not make them an offer? Settle, get it all in writing, feel good about yourself, etc.

There is a statute of limitations for debt collections.  In my state, it is 4 years.  

I actually tried to pay the original creditor long ago but they said they had sold the debt to a debt collector.  I will never pay a debt collector one red cent, ever.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#27]
you already took a hit to credit 15 years ago. after 7 years its cleared. also debt is still there technically, but has been written off. Debt collectors buy up old ass debt for pennies and some dumb ass will end up paying them a portion of a debt that isn't valid. Thus reactivating an old debt and hurting you credit again.  If they want to harass you then asked them for proof of a valid debt. 99% of the time they can't prove it.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#28]
No.  And they can lie to you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:54:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Call Clark Howard for the answer.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#30]
No, it's not illegal to lie to them.

Tell them whatever you feel like.  Have fun!
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Messing with debt collectors is awesome fun. Especially when they are calling for someone who has the number previous to you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#32]
So you your are in debt to someone and just because it is over 15 years ago, you don't think you owe it to them?

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#33]
are you under oath?
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Spot on, tell them your the queen of england for all it matters just don't send them shit!
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is a statute of limitations for debt collections.  In my state, it is 4 years.  

I actually tried to pay the original creditor long ago but they said they had sold the debt to a debt collector.  I will never pay a debt collector one red cent, ever.

In that case, I say fuck 'em.  My previous comment isn't directed at you either way.  Since the SOL has expired, how much was the debt for????
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

So you your are in debt to someone and just because it is over 15 years ago, you don't think you owe it to them?

Dude, it's the new American way.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#38]
"This is an attempt to collect a debt. Any information obtained will be used for that purpose."

If you make comments that could be construed as acknowledging the debt, it might not go well for you.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:58:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Be careful not to say anything that could be construed to reaffirm the debt.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#40]
"Sorry, wrong number.  His new number is [number from craigslist add].".
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 2:59:39 PM EDT
[#41]
A real man pays his debts. It doesn't matter about excuses, time or who is collecting, a man pays up or he is no better than the FSA people.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#42]
When they call, fake a Chinese language. I do this with unwanted callers, it's loads of fun.  Try it after listening to a Wayne Lapierre spiel on the phone when the telemarketer gets on.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:03:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I was a debt collector for a few months, it is not illegal. I had a great time doing it too but I got a better offer and moved on. They notate everything you say, sometimes I would literally fall out of my chair with laughter at some of the notes. Go ahead and lie to them and tell them your a gay prostitute it will probably crack them up. When I was a debt collector in 2004 I think you could say anything you wanted as long as it wasn't a physical threat, I was allowed to lie and call them horrible names all I wanted, man I had some schemes.

Caller id just dont answer the phone.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A real man pays his debts. It doesn't matter about excuses, time or who is collecting, a man pays up or he is no better than the FSA people.

Do real men also read the thread before posting?
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Tell them you know Obama and ask them to raise your debt limit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:04:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Obviously you should full fill your debts.

I don't think that lenders should get off free for shouldering some of the burden.  A loan is an investment.  With investment comes risk.  So an agreement is made between two parties.  I will give you an amount of money and the cost of using my money is X, also if you fail to meet the criteria of the loan you are subject to defined penalties.  The penalties and cost of money are calculated to mitigate risk.  As are other variables such as credit history.  This is like any investment, you do your homework and decide if the return rates are worth the risk.  Sometimes your calculated risk pays off, other times it does not.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#47]
I was a collector for a year. If the collector is worth anything, they wont care what lie you tell them. You will entertain them, and they will continue to call you since you acknowledged that you are the debtor. Have fun wasting your own time.

Also, just because the original creditor sold your debt to someone else doesn't excuse you from paying it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:07:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Tell them you were born again and part of the deal is all your past stuff was forgiven.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Companies that buy debt pay pennies on the dollar for it. Some of these companies are scum,original debtor sell,s part of it and the rest they wright it off or its covered by insurance.

Link Posted: 4/8/2013 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top