Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/19/2002 12:04:54 PM EDT
Hey guys, I've always been amazed at the scope of knowledge all our members have. So that being said, I have a question on computer CD's. I'm currently keeping a CDROM disk with A LOT of personal financial information. I was wondering if there was a way of putting a password on the CD, so that in case someone finds it, it'll be "locked". Any help or suggestions would be welcome... Thanks, Mayday.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:21:12 PM EDT
What program format is the information saved as: Word DOC, Excel Spreadsheet. Most programs have a "Save As" with an encryption option. Just don't forget the password. Generally, the company that created the program cannot even break it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:25:44 PM EDT
get PGP. Create a self decrypting archive. PRolly one of the most secure ways to do it. and for god's sake, PICK A GOOD PASSWORD!!! I've seen way too many people use simple 3 letter passwords that cna be cracked easily. Pick sometihng hard!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 12:37:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Deliverator: Generally, the company that created the program cannot even break it.
View Quote
Unbreakable? Possible, but unlikely. Encryption doesn't need to be broken, all you have to do is circumvent it :)
Top Top