Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2002 11:02:17 AM EDT
Just trying to figure all of these out...

LC - Lake City (where is Lake City, anyhow?)

WC/WCC/WRA - Winchester, various eras

SL - Salt Lake City?

TW - ?

TZ/TZZ - ?

DEN - ?

FN - Fabrique Nationale?  Belgian?

There are more, and I will be taking pix sometime - but these are the ones still resident in short-term memory...

FFZ
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 1:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I always thought Lake City was in Utah somewhere.  I might be wrong though

Keving67
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Keving67
View Quote

That's [b]SALT[/b] Lake City.  There is a Lake City in Florida near I-10 and I-75, but I don't know if it is the same as the Lake City where the ammo in made.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keving67
View Quote

That's [b]SALT[/b] Lake City.  There is a Lake City in Florida near I-10 and I-75, but I don't know if it is the same as the Lake City where the ammo in made.
View Quote

Now that you mention it, that is where I have heard it before.  Never was good in geography.

Keving67
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 1:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
TZ/TZZ -Isreali IMI
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#5]
TW-U.S. Military, Twin Cities Ordnance Plant.

DEN - I believe is South African Commercial.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:08:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I found the DEN headstamp with dates in the '40's - was South Africa producing ammo then?

I've also run across a "U", and a couple others.  I'll get them all together one of these days and post a list - and maybe even a batch of photos for everyone to look at...

FFZ
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I found the DEN headstamp with dates in the '40's - was South Africa producing ammo then?

View Quote

Sorry, I was thinking of DNL which is Denel of South Africa, instead of DEN.

U- Utah Ordnance Plant
TW- is Twin Cities Ordnance Plant
DEN- Denver Ordnance Plant
SL- Saint Louis Ordnance Plant

from Cartridges of the World 9th edition.

Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
And to think I had that book staring me in my ugly face the whole damn time...  I guess I should read it!  I've been too busy with "Understanding Firearm Ballistics" lately...

Got a copy of "Ammo & Ballistics" lying about as well - I'll have to pillage thru there.

When I get a chance, I'll have PIX - Tat or Brou, intersted in adding them to the Ammo FAQ?

FFZ
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keving67
View Quote

View Quote

Now that you mention it, that is where I have heard it before.  Never was good in geography.

Keving67
View Quote

I had the immense displeasure of living in that shithole in FL for 4 years.  Definately not an ammo factory there.  They build the hell out of mobile homes, though.

At the time, I was a NC state licensed electrical contractor, with 15 years of experience in the field.  My first job offer was $6.00/hour.  Laughed at the fucker, and went fishing....
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#10]
LC/LCAAP/LakeCity is in the Kansas City metro area. Between Independence and BlueSprings Mo to be specific. There is a 100yd pubic(strict) shooting range on the grounds. That's where I usually shoot as there is nothing better in the area.
A side note about LCAAP: it's a toxic waste dump,  well not really but it's a NRC clean up site.  LC produced and tested DU(depleted uranium) rounds. Some interesting stuff on the web about it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 12:36:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And to think I had that book staring me in my ugly face the whole damn time...  I guess I should read it!  I've been too busy with "Understanding Firearm Ballistics" lately...

Got a copy of "Ammo & Ballistics" lying about as well - I'll have to pillage thru there.

When I get a chance, I'll have PIX - Tat or Brou, intersted in adding them to the Ammo FAQ?

FFZ
View Quote

Robert Rinker does a good job in that book.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 5:49:48 AM EDT
[#12]
For a very comprehensive guide to smalls arms ammunition identification, see the Defense Intelligence Agency Small Caliber Ammunition Identification Guide.  It is available on the web.  See the link.

[url]http://www.dia.mil/Public/Foia/smcal_vol1.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#13]
in my current collection of .223 headstamps i have 122 different fired cases..., one of these days i'll post a photo..., if i ever learn how ........
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Lake City ammo plant is in Independence, MO. It is also what is known as a radiation site. This is because they manufacture depleted uranium there. I wouldn't what to shoot there since it will be most likely a superfund site before too long.

Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#15]
doh  forgot the l  :)
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wouldn't what to shoot there since it will be most likely a superfund site before too long.

View Quote

Whats superfund?
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 11:19:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Superfund = Heavy Toxic cleanup.  We had a Superfund site here in South San Jose - the old Fairchild/Republic plant.  It's now a grocery store - but I'm still a little leery of it...

Moffett NAS is very nearly a Superfund site - especially after the AFU with the post Gas station a few years back...

FFZ
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd like to think all the lead paintchips I ate as a kid are fortifying me aginst the radiation.
I'm currently looking for a better place to shoot tho.  I don't like 5seconds between shots.

Link Posted: 9/20/2002 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#19]
EOD_Guy -
 Thanks for the DIA link (I thought they didn't exist anymore...?)  I found and downloaded BOTH volumes of that manual, and added them to the rest of my ordnance info.  After that, I started pillaging thru the rest of their FOIA stuff and will work on DefenseLINK later...

I'm always looking for stuff like this - got any more?  I could use the refresher...

FFZ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top