Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2002 11:02:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2002 11:03:15 AM EDT by FreeFireZone]
Just trying to figure all of these out... LC - Lake City (where is Lake City, anyhow?) WC/WCC/WRA - Winchester, various eras SL - Salt Lake City? TW - ? TZ/TZZ - ? DEN - ? FN - Fabrique Nationale? Belgian? There are more, and I will be taking pix sometime - but these are the ones still resident in short-term memory... FFZ
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 1:27:00 PM EDT
I always thought Lake City was in Utah somewhere. I might be wrong though Keving67
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 1:31:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By keving67: I always thought Lake City was in Utah somewhere. I might be wrong though Keving67
View Quote
That's [b]SALT[/b] Lake City. There is a Lake City in Florida near I-10 and I-75, but I don't know if it is the same as the Lake City where the ammo in made.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 1:33:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LARRYG:
Originally Posted By keving67: I always thought Lake City was in Utah somewhere. I might be wrong though Keving67
View Quote
That's [b]SALT[/b] Lake City. There is a Lake City in Florida near I-10 and I-75, but I don't know if it is the same as the Lake City where the ammo in made.
View Quote
Now that you mention it, that is where I have heard it before. Never was good in geography. Keving67
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 1:34:11 PM EDT
TZ/TZZ -Isreali IMI
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:03:20 PM EDT
TW-U.S. Military, Twin Cities Ordnance Plant. DEN - I believe is South African Commercial.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:08:11 PM EDT
I found the DEN headstamp with dates in the '40's - was South Africa producing ammo then? I've also run across a "U", and a couple others. I'll get them all together one of these days and post a list - and maybe even a batch of photos for everyone to look at... FFZ
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 7:23:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2002 7:31:45 PM EDT by ARkie]
Originally Posted By FreeFireZone: I found the DEN headstamp with dates in the '40's - was South Africa producing ammo then?
View Quote
Sorry, I was thinking of DNL which is Denel of South Africa, instead of DEN. U- Utah Ordnance Plant TW- is Twin Cities Ordnance Plant DEN- Denver Ordnance Plant SL- Saint Louis Ordnance Plant from Cartridges of the World 9th edition.
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 10:28:02 PM EDT
And to think I had that book staring me in my ugly face the whole damn time... I guess I should read it! I've been too busy with "Understanding Firearm Ballistics" lately... Got a copy of "Ammo & Ballistics" lying about as well - I'll have to pillage thru there. When I get a chance, I'll have PIX - Tat or Brou, intersted in adding them to the Ammo FAQ? FFZ
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 12:05:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By keving67:
Originally Posted By LARRYG:
View Quote
View Quote
Now that you mention it, that is where I have heard it before. Never was good in geography. Keving67
View Quote
I had the immense displeasure of living in that shithole in FL for 4 years. Definately not an ammo factory there. They build the hell out of mobile homes, though. At the time, I was a NC state licensed electrical contractor, with 15 years of experience in the field. My first job offer was $6.00/hour. Laughed at the fucker, and went fishing....
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 12:15:58 AM EDT
LC/LCAAP/LakeCity is in the Kansas City metro area. Between Independence and BlueSprings Mo to be specific. There is a 100yd pubic(strict) shooting range on the grounds. That's where I usually shoot as there is nothing better in the area. A side note about LCAAP: it's a toxic waste dump, well not really but it's a NRC clean up site. LC produced and tested DU(depleted uranium) rounds. Some interesting stuff on the web about it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 12:36:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FreeFireZone: And to think I had that book staring me in my ugly face the whole damn time... I guess I should read it! I've been too busy with "Understanding Firearm Ballistics" lately... Got a copy of "Ammo & Ballistics" lying about as well - I'll have to pillage thru there. When I get a chance, I'll have PIX - Tat or Brou, intersted in adding them to the Ammo FAQ? FFZ
View Quote
Robert Rinker does a good job in that book.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 5:49:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/20/2002 5:50:11 AM EDT by EOD_Guy]
For a very comprehensive guide to smalls arms ammunition identification, see the Defense Intelligence Agency Small Caliber Ammunition Identification Guide. It is available on the web. See the link. [url]http://www.dia.mil/Public/Foia/smcal_vol1.pdf[/url]
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 6:15:30 AM EDT
in my current collection of .223 headstamps i have 122 different fired cases..., one of these days i'll post a photo..., if i ever learn how ........
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 6:40:33 AM EDT
Lake City ammo plant is in Independence, MO. It is also what is known as a radiation site. This is because they manufacture depleted uranium there. I wouldn't what to shoot there since it will be most likely a superfund site before too long.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:43:17 AM EDT
doh forgot the l :)
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 10:45:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By stator: I wouldn't what to shoot there since it will be most likely a superfund site before too long.
View Quote
Whats superfund?
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 11:19:45 AM EDT
Superfund = Heavy Toxic cleanup. We had a Superfund site here in South San Jose - the old Fairchild/Republic plant. It's now a grocery store - but I'm still a little leery of it... Moffett NAS is very nearly a Superfund site - especially after the AFU with the post Gas station a few years back... FFZ
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 11:40:57 AM EDT
I'd like to think all the lead paintchips I ate as a kid are fortifying me aginst the radiation. I'm currently looking for a better place to shoot tho. I don't like 5seconds between shots.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 4:54:05 PM EDT
EOD_Guy - Thanks for the DIA link (I thought they didn't exist anymore...?) I found and downloaded BOTH volumes of that manual, and added them to the rest of my ordnance info. After that, I started pillaging thru the rest of their FOIA stuff and will work on DefenseLINK later... I'm always looking for stuff like this - got any more? I could use the refresher... FFZ
Top Top