Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/14/2013 6:00:36 PM EDT
Ok, I am speaking up - and creating a separate thread just for this:

I have no problem with places selling mags at huge high prices.  That's fine.  If people want to spend the money, more power to them.  However; below is a list of practiced that I think are downright unfair and unjust.  If you are reading this and you are a company doing these things - you know who you are... and I hope people will remember this!

- Taking back orders for mags and before you fullfill all your backorders, you create a new "part number" for package deals (3-packs for example) and ship them out before you ship out the backordered "single" part number orders.

- Taking more than a few mags OUT of normal inventory and putting them for sale on other auction type websites.

- Creating new web presence storefronts just to sell "in-stock" mags at high prices, when you should be fullfilling back orders first.  Remember, these people PAID for the backorder!  Those mags are THEIRS when they come into stock, not yours!

- HOLDING BACK sales of the newer mag models (when you actually physically have them) for the sole purpose of trying to deplete inventory of the older models (especially when you are selling at high prices) while they are still in high demand!

- Witholding magpul mag followers that you have in stock and not fullfilling back orders on those followers for the sole purpose of using them yourselves for other mag products simply to increase the value of non-magpul mags and sell for high price.

- Limiting sales to small counts, but charging unreasonable shipping/handling!

I am sure there are more unfair practices going on, but I think this is a good starting list.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:24:21 AM EDT
[#1]
ooooo another good one is "out of stock" but then you see them at a gun show with thousands ready to go.......
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:38:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:42:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have not seen that from any big time vendors.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:43:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Nobody was bitching when mags were dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy cheap, sell high, the principle that always works.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Nothing to see here, move along.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:26:13 AM EDT
[#7]
What I am saying is that at a time when we all clearly need to stick together and support each other, there are some that are clearly just taking advantage and NOT being fair to their customers.  Not a lot of them, but there are some!  I should also say that we definitely should also make note of all those companies who have taken a stand AGAINST being unfair... as there are way more of them out there... and we really do appreciate it and appreciate their humongous efforts on all fronts.

I also bet that there are an awful lot of people out there who do NOT support our rights or causes, but are out there buying up firearm stuff anyway just in effort to make a quick buck for themselves.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]
IBTL?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Life isn't fair.  Suck it up and move on.  A business exists to make money.  If you don't like a companies practices don't buy from them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:28:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Life isn't fair.  Suck it up and move on.  A business exists to make money.  If you don't like a companies practices don't buy from them.

Exacty... the whole point of my post was to identify the types of things being done, so people can be aware and make their own decisions about it.

Topic was not meant to be a place to cry and be a baby.

THAT IS ALL.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Go Occupy someplace.  Never, ever has business been "fair" to everyone.

Each person has the conscious ability to make a decision to buy or not to buy from places that they perceive to be practicing "unfair" business.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This. Ask my four year old what fair is. She'll tell you. Life's not fair.
Obsession with fairness leads to liberalism.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:.  Remember, these people PAID for the backorder!  Those mags are THEIRS when they come into stock, not yours!

How many vendors are charging people at order time, then selling off the mags before they are shipped to the buyer?

Most all I've seen charge at time of shipping.  In which case, the mags aren't the buyers yet since the buyer hasn't paid for them.  Kinda like people cancelling backorders.  Two way street.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're late to the party or failed to prepare, then you get to play these games or jump through the vendor hoops.

There are still decent vendors out there and with a little effort and patience mags can still be had for good prices.  If you have to have it now, then you get to pay for it now.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This. Ask my four year old what fair is. She'll tell you. Life's not fair.

Obsession with fairness leads to liberalism.
But liberalism is not fair. Quite the paradox.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:05:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have no problem with places selling mags at huge high prices.  That's fine.  If people want to spend the money, more power to them.  However; below is a list of practiced that I think are downright unfair and unjust.  If you are reading this and you are a company doing these things - you know who you are... and I hope people will remember this!

- Taking back orders for mags and before you fullfill all your backorders, you create a new "part number" for package deals (3-packs for example) and ship them out before you ship out the backordered "single" part number orders.

- Taking more than a few mags OUT of normal inventory and putting them for sale on other auction type websites.

- Creating new web presence storefronts just to sell "in-stock" mags at high prices, when you should be fullfilling back orders first.  Remember, these people PAID for the backorder!  Those mags are THEIRS when they come into stock, not yours!

- HOLDING BACK sales of the newer mag models (when you actually physically have them) for the sole purpose of trying to deplete inventory of the older models (especially when you are selling at high prices) while they are still in high demand!

- Witholding magpul mag followers that you have in stock and not fullfilling back orders on those followers for the sole purpose of using them yourselves for other mag products simply to increase the value of non-magpul mags and sell for high price.

I am sure there are more unfair practices going on, but I think this is a good starting list.

So basicly what you are saying is From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.....

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So basicly what you are saying is From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.....

Yeah.  Bitching about a business's behavior is 100% communism.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:21:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn you OP!

NAME NAMES!  I DEMAND TO KNOW WHO GAVE YOU TEH BUTTHURTZ!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#20]
newbs and trolls

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Why don't companies just give them away. That would be really fair.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I have pmags 5,000 on backorder at DSGARMS.

2,000 shipped today.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Nobody was bitching when mags were dirt cheap.

I was complaining I didn't have enough space

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Damn you OP!

Show me on the doll where the mag salesman touched you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#25]
IN before the "ERR MERR GERRD A COMMIES!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Said the grasshopper to the ant...
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Those practices are not "unfair" (btw what organization defines and regulates "fair" practices for sellers of firearms accessories?).  You just don't like them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

IN before the "ERR MERR GERRD A COMMIES!!!!!!!!!!!!"
You're a little late.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Whiner.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

2,000 shipped today.

Careful, the crybabies will psychoanalyze you

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1441253_Windham_Selling_Pmags_at______12_95.html
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#32]
While I think its wrong, it is the nature of the beast. I know that there are a couple of sight sponsors on here that I have orders pending with, that are openly selling items elsewhere, while I wait for my orders to be filled. One of which I emailed, to cancel my order after seeing what the OP described. I have not heard back from that company.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The above is pretty low.  Honesty would demand shipping out inventory to those who have ordered the items before anything else.

They can do what they want to with their mags.

That is basically the same as your first example.  

If they want to delay sales of the newer models to sell the older ones first, that's their business.

That's pretty low.  Same as your first example.

Don't like the terms, don't buy them.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What I am saying is that at a time when we all clearly need to stick together and support each other, there are some that are clearly just taking advantage and NOT being fair to their customers.  Not a lot of them, but there are some!  I should also say that we definitely should also make note of all those companies who have taken a stand AGAINST being unfair... as there are way more of them out there... and we really do appreciate it and appreciate their humongous efforts on all fronts.

I also bet that there are an awful lot of people out there who do NOT support our rights or causes, but are out there buying up firearm stuff anyway just in effort to make a quick buck for themselves.

Jesus Christ

It has nothing to do with being "fair", it has everything to do with making payroll and keeping the damned lights on.

You have to understand that many vendors are in deep, deep shit right now. Why? Because they don't have any freaking inventory to sell.

A very good friend of mine owns a local gun store with a large online presence. In fact, despite having a large warehouse he has no walk-in traffic to speak of. The vast majority of his business is done online. He is selling what little gear he can get at auction sites in order to stay in business.

Let me break this down in simple terms: For the sake of argument, lets pretend for a minute that the only item my friend sells on his website are PMags. In order to make payroll, keep the lights on, and break even he has to sell, say, 2000 PMags per week. What happens if his distributors are only sending him 500 PMags per week? That's only one quarter of the inventory he needs to break even, never mind make a profit.

So, what would you advise him to do? Should he lay off his employees and close up shop until (hopefully) the current crisis blows over? Should he take out a second mortgage on his home in order to make payroll? Or, should he sell what few PMags he gets on auction sites, in order to (hopefully) make up some of the lost revenue from not having any inventory?

You tell me...what should he do? He has employees who need their jobs and he has a family to feed. What should he do?

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Another bitchfest?

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus Christ

It has nothing to do with being "fair", it has everything to do with making payroll and keeping the damned lights on.

You have to understand that many vendors are in deep, deep shit right now. Why? Because they don't have any freaking inventory to sell.

A very good friend of mine owns a local gun store with a large online presence. In fact, despite having a large warehouse he has no walk-in traffic to speak of. The vast majority of his business is done online. He is selling what little gear he can get at auction sites in order to stay in business.

Let me break this down in simple terms: For the sake of argument, lets pretend for a minute that the only item my friend sells on his website are PMags. In order to make payroll, keep the lights on, and break even he has to sell, say, 2000 PMags per week. What happens if his distributors are only sending him 500 PMags per week? That's only one quarter of the inventory he needs to break even, never mind make a profit.

So, what would you advise him to do? Should he lay off his employees and close up shop until (hopefully) the current crisis blows over? Should he take out a second mortgage on his home in order to make payroll? Or, should he sell what few PMags he gets on auction sites, in order to (hopefully) make up some of the lost revenue from not having any inventory?

You tell me...what should he do? He has employees who need their jobs and he has a family to feed. What should he do?

Then don't allow backorder.  If you have no intention of filling the order at the stated price when your turn comes up, don't take the backorder.

The backorder is "When it gets here and the people who backordered before me have been filled, then I get mine".  Nobody is going to be OK with the bulk of the stock getting funneled away to sell at higher prices when they're already ordered and put their money on the line.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#37]
which one is you OP?

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

2,000 shipped today.

I'm waiting on your doorstep for the big brown truck!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#39]
OP, start your own business.  Invest tens of thousands of dollars.  And be as fair as you want.

It's called Capitalism.  The market will decide what's fair.

The seller has no obligation to let you dictate his sales policies.

His sole purpose it to turn as much profit as possible.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Wait a minute...........There is no pie here!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:25:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Funny... all the people bitching about businesses should be able to do what they want... casually forgetting the entirety of contract law and integrity. These same people whine the loudest when something is done to THEM, or a practice affects them negatively. Then, suddenly, integrity and law matter. Wow.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus Christ

Then don't allow backorder.  If you have no intention of filling the order at the stated price when your turn comes up, don't take the backorder.

The backorder is "When it gets here and the people who backordered before me have been filled, then I get mine".  Nobody is going to be OK with the bulk of the stock getting funneled away to sell at higher prices when they're already ordered and put their money on the line.

No place I have ever back ordered from has ever took a single cent until my order is ready to ship. Up to that point you always have the option to cancel.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#43]
The only thing I have an issue with is taking my money then refusing to ship the product.  If they won't refund the money that's a double whammy.

Most reputable places only charge your card when they process the order.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
IBTL?

Possibly, but I think it will require at least one specific company named, and at least two more users with post counts under 10.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
...Remember, these people PAID for the backorder!  Those mags are THEIRS when they come into stock, not yours!...

Really? Usually, the vendor won't charge a dime until they ship it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm sorry brother, I don't mean to be argumentative (I really don't ). With that said, you are mistaken...particularly in light of the current supply insanity.

Using my PMag example above, I know that my dealer friend can get his inventory from several different sources. He price shops his wholesale distributors, and buys from whomever is cheapest-just like you and I do on the retail side. There are times, like the current shortage for example, where pricing becomes less important than availability. Having *something* to sell at a high price beats the hell out of having nothing to sell at a discounted price-even if that means the dealer has to pay more to get it. In the example you made about not filling back orders in lieu of selling elsewhere, how do you know if the dealer in question had to buy from an alternative source that cost him more?

The bottom line is that you (or I) don't know.

Prior to the current unpleasantness, my dealer friend bought the vast majority of his bulk PMags from a company called RSR. For those who may not know, RSR is a huge wholesale distributor. On the day of the Sandy Hook shooting, RSR sold something like a quarter million PMags to their dealers in less than eight hours. Today, since orders from RSR are only going out at a snails pace, my friend is having to buy inventory from alternative sources-and many of those sources are a helluva lot more expensive.

Where am I going with this? If a dealer has to pay more (sometimes a lot more) to get inventory to sell, should he fulfill your back order at a loss? Dealers are having to beg, borrow, and steal to get inventory. Two weeks after Sandy Hook, my friend offered me $25ea for every new PMag I owned-just so he would have *something* to sell. Should he have taken those mags, turned around, and shipped them to someone who had them on back order for $15ea? It wouldn't make a lot of sense for him to do that, wouldn't you agree?

Edited for typo...
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Well, not that it will give you much comfort, but maybe at least you will find this a little funny, http://www.cheaperthangold.com

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:53:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damn you OP!

Show me on the doll where the mag salesman touched you.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...Remember, these people PAID for the backorder!  Those mags are THEIRS when they come into stock, not yours!...

Really? Usually, the vendor won't charge a dime until they ship it.

That's right. Several vendors do a pre-authorization to make sure funds are available, but that's not the same thing. They aren't taking your money at that point-they are just making sure sufficient funds are available.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top