Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
FSA wins again.

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
We don't have the money to police the world as much as we used to.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not a fan of the USA being the world's policeman.

But I think we're going to find out over the next 4 years what happens when we stop being the world's policeman all at once.  I don't think the immediate results will be good.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In other news, golf courses on AF bases will now have expanded hours.
Quoted:
The Air Force warned that it would cut operations at various missile defense radar sites from 24 hours to eight hours.

You of course know that golf course operations are paid for with non-appropriated funds generated by their own operations.  But that won't stop you from being "clever".  

But your guys will still be "playing."

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We dont have the luxury not to.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously, am I the only guy wondering why we still even spend money manning "missile defense radar sites" 24/7?

Is that a serious fucking question?

Is that a serious fucking threat?

One that can't be handled remotely, if so?

The short answer is that there is only one threat to the U.S. that is truly existential, and operates in a 30-60 minute time decision envelope.

Everything else the DoD is doing is just nice-to-have, at the end of the day, and its dependent upon our strategic deterrence posture.

What ever happened to wargaming by putting yourself in the enemy's shoes?

And, you didn't answer my question.  If responding to a nuclear strike within 30 minutes is so important, why can't we do that remotely?  How many stations do we have to man?  Enough to destroy how many cities how many times?

Man in the loop is critical when it comes to ending the world as we know it.

seriously, this is bigger than any CAS bullshit.

The question I have is exactly what is being cut back in coverage.  Are we talking guys that are watching the scopes and analyzing data or technicians that are monitoring the same diagnostic systems that a centralized site also is?
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:42:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Let's stop deployments and reduce maintenance.... it worked so well for the Russian Navy in the 90's.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In other news, golf courses on AF bases will now have expanded hours.
Quoted:
The Air Force warned that it would cut operations at various missile defense radar sites from 24 hours to eight hours.

You of course know that golf course operations are paid for with non-appropriated funds generated by their own operations.  But that won't stop you from being "clever".  

But you're guys will still be "playing."

Gotta do something to kill another eight hours a week.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:45:54 PM EDT
[#9]
FBO and FTFSA!
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

But I think we're going to find out over the next 4 years what happens when we stop being the world's policeman all at once.  I don't think the immediate results will be good.

Wait five years.  Pictures of Newport News, Wright-Patterson AFB, and Ft. Benning are going to be indistinguishable from the pictures of rusted out half-sunken Typhoon SSBNs, rotting abandoned MiGs, stripped T-72s and dilapidated barracks from after the fall of the USSR.

Mark my words.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seriously, am I the only guy wondering why we still even spend money manning "missile defense radar sites" 24/7?

The short answer is that there is only one threat to the U.S. that is truly existential, and operates in a 30-60 minute time decision envelope.

Everything else the DoD is doing is just nice-to-have, at the end of the day, and its dependent upon our strategic deterrence posture.

What ever happened to wargaming by putting yourself in the enemy's shoes?

And, you didn't answer my question.  If responding to a nuclear strike within 30 minutes is so important, why can't we do that remotely?  How many stations do we have to man?  Enough to destroy how many cities how many times?

Man in the loop is critical when it comes to ending the world as we know it.

seriously, this is bigger than any CAS bullshit.

The question I have is exactly what is being cut back in coverage.  Are we talking guys that are watching the scopes and analyzing data or technicians that are monitoring the same diagnostic systems that a centralized site also is?

I think I know, but actually one of those areas I can't talk about.  I posted the slides.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

When the Roman Empire fell into decline and they stopped being able to police their frontier and withdrew what troops they had to defend the core of the Empire what followed shortly after is a little period of history called the Dark Ages.

When the British Empire fell, sectarian strife fell across a a huge chunk of the globe and we still feel the effects of it today and that's with the rise of the USA and USSR picking up the pieces. When we fall, who picks up the pieces? China perhaps but I doubt it as their economy is tied to ours and if we go down they will be lucky to survive it.

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#14]
And I don't think strategically?
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Well we don't need to be the world policemen, and those Obama phones gotta get paid!
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
When the British Empire fell, sectarian strife fell across a a huge chunk of the globe and we still feel the effects of it today and that's with the rise of the USA and USSR picking up the pieces. When we fall, who picks up the pieces? China perhaps but I doubt it as their economy is tied to ours and if we go down they will be lucky to survive it.  

Bah, we'll police the world, just not as much.

Expect more Libya/Mali operations, less Iraq/Afghanistan operations.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outsourcing your ground power generally doesn't go well.
Our ambassador to both the latter countries is still alive.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outsourcing your ground power generally doesn't go well.
Our ambassador to both the latter countries is still alive.

Well, yeah, a certain degree of competence in State and DoD leadership is required.

I am completely, 100% fine with letting the Frog Eaters trapse about their former colony without our troops alongside them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would that be the US?

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would that be the US?

obama.jpg

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Have we finished with the wailing and gnashing of teeth? If so, I think we can talk about what this actually means.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'd rather have a NORAD/NORTHCOM guy answer, but I'll offer a couple of guesses:

-Operating those sites includes maintaining any gear that might go down
-There is a hell of a lot less time available than 30 minutes to engage an inbound ICBM with a GBI.  A LOT less.  
-Centralizing the monitoring takes away redundancy.  I don't know, off the top of my head, how many sites are manned and what the levels are.

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They'll cut the OPTEMPO of the forward forces, support equipment, and pay/benefits, BUT they won't cut acquisition of high $$$ pet projects like the problem plagued F-35.  Too many jobs at risk in some senators district if that were to happen.  The jackasses on the hill NEVER give a shit about the troops in the field unless there's a photo op. involved that can help them get re-elected, then they're all waving the flag and sporting yellow ribbons.

Who is "they"?
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Have we finished with the wailing and gnashing of teeth? If so, I think we can talk about what this actually means.

The Truman will be redeployed to Lake Ontario in Jan 2014?

(87% joking)
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#25]
We don't need no boats fer da Navy, boats are like horses and bayonets, what we need is free cell phones and ebt cards yo!
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Slamming members of Congress as irresponsible, Panetta said lawmakers are willing to push the country off a fiscal cliff to damage their opposing political parties.
He said that if Congress doesn't pass a budget the Pentagon will have to absorb $46 billion in spending reductions in this fiscal year and will face a $35 billion shortfall in operating expenses.

Mostly theatrical posturing to bash congress.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

But, wait, Congress, specifically the Senate, haven't passed a budget for three years running now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(87% joking)

Make it Lake Michigan and declare war on Shitcago and we may be onto something!

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
When the Roman Empire fell into decline and they stopped being able to police their frontier and withdrew what troops they had to defend the core of the Empire what followed shortly after is a little period of history called the Dark Ages.

Honestly, that is my thinking.

The Stennis being the only CVN out was what startled me (yes, I know, others were in transition in VA, but still...)

Have we ever had only one carrier group out in recent memory?
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#29]
When you have key staffers on the hill telling DoD leadership, we want you to make this hurt, and let the public know it, DoD will find ways to make it hurt very publically.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:57:58 PM EDT
[#30]
They really ought to start cutting wefare checks.  

Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 3:58:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Slamming members of Congress as irresponsible, Panetta said lawmakers are willing to push the country off a fiscal cliff to damage their opposing political parties.
He said that if Congress doesn't pass a budget the Pentagon will have to absorb $46 billion in spending reductions in this fiscal year and will face a $35 billion shortfall in operating expenses.

yep.  

He should be bashing Dingy Harry by name.  Reid is not allowing any budget to come up for vote in the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Honestly, if I were POTUS and Congress hadn't passed a budget in several years, I wouldn't bother to send one to the hill either. The onus is on them and why waste my time?
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

(87% joking)

Make it Lake Michigan and declare war on Shitcago and we may be onto something!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/change_Lake_Michigan_to_Lake_Obama
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#35]
This is very bad, remember when the soviets started having to do this same thing?  Not good at all.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I wonder what the russians were thinking when they new that USSR era was going under
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Folks on the Eisenhower are not pleased.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What we are doing is not "policing the world".
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It means we get half as much bang if Barry ever decides to pull the trigger on Iran.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
When you have key staffers on the hill telling DoD leadership, we want you to make this hurt, and let the public know it, DoD will find ways to make it hurt very publically.

That is what it is.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#41]
In my opinion, if we cannot afford to deploy military assets to protect our national interests, then we cannot afford entitlement programs.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

yep.  

He should be bashing Dingy Harry by name.  Reid is not allowing any budget to come up for vote in the last 5 years.

Except Panetta is an inside circle democratic power broker. This is a very public "serious threat to national security" that gives the democrats ammunition to go after the "do nothing house republicans".

Boehner handed them this on a platter and they're taking it as far as possible. If he had made sure sequestration actually chopped EVERYTHING the federal government does by xx% it might have actually been a decent motivation. As it stands it punishes every republican pet project and leaves democrat sacred cows unscathed because they are "non-discretionary".
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I hope they are posturing and won't get us nuked. I do believe we still have enemies out there.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Slides Here

Cut radar time...consider not going to Paris and UK for an air show.

Just...wow.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Honestly, if I were POTUS and Congress hadn't passed a budget in several years, I wouldn't bother to send one to the hill either. The onus is on them and why waste my time?

It's a legal requirement for POTUS to submit a budget. It's the equivalent of not showing up for work.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Ya know, just fuck it.  Let's cut all funding for the military and become the worlds punching bag.  Let the fucker burn.  I'm fucking sick and tired of our governments inability to manage our money anything.  The FSA gets more, those that work get less.  Just fuck it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:53:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a legal requirement for POTUS to submit a budget. It's the equivalent of not showing up for work.

Not passing a budget allows all the increases to go into the base line without it being noticed.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that law have any teeth?

I'm guessing no.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

When you demonstrate mission failure (radar sites) you are risking a significant amount of organizational equity for temporary political gain.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does that law have any teeth?

I'm guessing no.

It would be nice if the opposition wasn't testicle free and the media was moderately honest.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top