Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2002 2:42:08 PM EDT
Did anyone here ever sell stuff using a C.O.D. through the U.S. Postal Service? Their web site says they will take either cash or personal check at the buyer's end. I am wondering what ways there are for the buyer to weasel around on the deal. Some $225 is involved. Naturally a rubber check comes to mind. I have had little experience with this stuff, but do recall sending something COD through a trucking company once and they screwed it up. Seems that the they couldn't get the guy to come in and pick up the merchandise at their depot, and we wound up getting screwed out of the return shipping. In another case, they lost the package. But I don't have a very good feeling about the current guy, just on the way he interacts. If you know any tricks that might be tried, let me know. He doesn't want to use paypal or send the money before he opens the package. He says he doesn't want to pays that kind of money and receive a box full of bricks. I understand that, but frankly I think if he can't deal with that kind of risk, then on-line auctions are not the way for him to do business. I've even heard of paypal transactions being withdrawn in some kind of window of time during a sale. What can you guys tell me about the in's & out's of C.O.D. ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 8:23:56 PM EDT
Anybody?
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 10:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2002 10:26:55 PM EDT by Only_Hits_Count]
Not familiar with Post Office. UPS will do it for a $5.50 in addition to shipping cost(both paid up front). You can specify money order or cashiers check only. Added: I believe Gunbroker.com offers some type of a buyers guarantee-possiblyt for a 'resonable fee' -check their website.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 12:22:49 AM EDT
The only major scam I know of with COD happens when the shipper ships a multi-package shipment COD, but only places a COD tag on one of the packages. The receiver accepts the packages without the COD tag, and refuses the package with the COD tag. The shipper gets screwed. The untrusting shipper (smart shipper) will spread the COD value amongst all the boxes, placing a COD tag on each box.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 3:34:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2002 3:43:32 AM EDT by prk]
Only Hits -- Interesting that UPS will let you specify a cashier's check. I'll have to check with the P.O. on that point. Their web site makes it sound like the buyer can choose personal check, which is pretty risky for the seller. Mattja -- Aha! Thanks for telling me about that one. Seems like the buyer's professed fears (of paying for a box of bricks) ring hollow. The mailman is not going to take back an opened package, anyway. ANd the USPS is probably not going to guarantee the seller that the buyer's personal check is good, either.
Top Top