BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Being a rim fire, it lets us in Ca chamber an AR-15 in this cartage and we don't have to use a BB on the evil featured black gun. Sounds like a nasty little rabbit gun.

That was my first thought - under the CA AWB there is a lot more freedom (better said, a lot less infringement) for rimfire tools.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, this would actually be practical in CT. No rifle hunting on state land except with 22lr and 17 caliber rimfire. They exclude 22mag, but this round would be legal
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What do you plan on taking out with a 20 grain bullet?  A humming bird?  Just trying to figure out what practical use it is other than for targets and tin cans.

Ever seen a prairie dog catch a 17 or 20 grain?....its nasty.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#4]
what can it do that an existing caliber cant?  If the manufacturer cant answer this question, then its just marketing.  New for the sake of being new. IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What do you plan on taking out with a 20 grain bullet?  A humming bird?  Just trying to figure out what practical use it is other than for targets and tin cans.

Some people use .17 hmr for coyotes.  I don't know about that, but smaller game sure.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
what can it do that an existing caliber cant?  If the manufacturer cant answer this question, then its just marketing.  New for the sake of being new. IMHO.

It's the fastest, flattest shooting rimfire cartridge....I dont see how that's a bad thing.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some people use .17 hmr for coyotes.  I don't know about that, but smaller game sure.  

Bird of (almost) any size, p dogs, rabbit, jackrabbit, and I wouldnt hesitate to take a head shot on a coyote out to 100yds or so.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My curiosity is how the Super Mag will handle the wind?  Any wind kills the 17HMR.  The HMR is my critter gitter, but it is useless in any wind.   I take a 204 Ruger in case the wind is blowing...but after a couple of shots with the 204...prairie dogs hide the rest of the day.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bird of (almost) any size, p dogs, rabbit, jackrabbit, and I wouldnt hesitate to take a head shot on a coyote out to 100yds or so.

Shot placement is king.  There's been a shitload of deer killed with .22LR.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:53:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Now  if Ruger makes a 20 shot SR17 pistol for it.....that would be interesting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Now  if Ruger makes a 20 shot SR17 pistol for it.....that would be interesting.

I wonder if overall length would make for a weirdly deep grip in a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I love the .17 HMR and am looking forward to picking one of these up. Last year was my first year using the .17 HMR on ground squirrels, and man it is effective. .223 like splash, with no recoil so you can see it happening .

I had about 400 kills with it on our last trip, definitely one of my favorite calibers.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 9:59:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
will it present the same challenges in an autoloader that .17 HMR has shown?

It's still a bottlenecked rimfire, so yes.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My curiosity is how the Super Mag will handle the wind?  Any wind kills the 17HMR.  The HMR is my critter gitter, but it is useless in any wind.   I take a 204 Ruger in case the wind is blowing...but after a couple of shots with the 204...prairie dogs hide the rest of the day.

Same bullets, but faster, so the wind has less time to act on them, and they'll drift less.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Wind drift ?

From the article :

Link Posted: 1/25/2013 10:20:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I fail to see the point I guess.  To each his own.

It's perfect for people like me who want more power than a .17hmr without going up to a centerfire. There's atleast a half dozen reasons for why someone doesn't want to use a centerfire for varmint hunting.

Link Posted: 1/25/2013 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's perfect for people like me who want more power than a .17hmr without going up to a centerfire. There's atleast a half dozen reasons for why someone doesn't want to use a centerfire for varmint hunting.

Educate me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#19]
The tiny, high speed bullets tear themselves apart on impact with nearly anything. Safer for hunting near other property.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Educate me.

Even before all the AWB hoopla , what did a box of accurate/match 223-204-17Rem ammo run ?

Im not sure about the accuracy with this new cartridge yet , but if it's anywhere close to the Remington Premiere 17HMR , the $15 a box for 50 rds will be great !!

At 200yards , this new cartridge is still smoking along at 2000fps with HALF the drop and HALF the drift .

In my world , those figures translate into twice the range for kills on crows , squirrels and woodchucks . . . . much cheaper than a comparably accurate centerfire round . At 200 yds and closer , it should be the best bang for the buck.
This , of course , all hinges on whether or not this new round is accurate or not . If it's only got the accuracy of a decent 22lr .....than Im not interested .....if it's up there with my Savage 93-17 and 22mag with Rem Premiers , which fucking smoke built Ruger 10-22's and other built RF's at 100yds , then I will buy one

Link Posted: 1/25/2013 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The tiny, high speed bullets tear themselves apart on impact with nearly anything. Safer for hunting near other property.

It certainly makes a friggin mess of a squirrel or crow when you plant one in the body . . . . like they swallowed a firecracker

If you are hunting squirrels for meat , you have to do head-shots .

Link Posted: 1/25/2013 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#22]
In a hypothetical post-SHTF survival situation, how would one of these rimfire calibers perform on two legged predators?

ETA: This post needs a for good measure.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Believe it or not, some parts of the country do not allow any sort of center-fire rifle for hunting.  This helps those shooting coyotes and bobcats get out a bit further should the game hangup and refuse to get any closer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Or one of those STG-44 rifles

Quoted:
Load it in a 100 round Calico.

Link Posted: 1/25/2013 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Interdasting
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being a rim fire, it lets us in Ca chamber an AR-15 in this cartage and we don't have to use a BB on the evil featured black gun. Sounds like a nasty little rabbit gun.

That was my first thought - under the CA AWB there is a lot more freedom (better said, a lot less infringement) for rimfire tools.

Then a week later they will regulate the shit out of that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
In a hypothetical post-SHTF survival situation, how would one of these rimfire calibers perform on two legged predators?

ETA: This post needs a for good measure.

Put a fmj in it and I am guessing it will hurt....
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm intrigued, but need to see a ready supply of ammo and rifles first. If Ruger and CZ get on board, I may be in.

Around here it's hard to find someone who hasn't been swayed by the advantages of the .17 HMR. Hell, my 86-year old grandfather shoots one. The greatest ground squirrel cartridge ever made.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I can't wait for the little 17 whizzum.

Link Posted: 1/25/2013 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I shot this new cartridge last week at a shoot for new products coming out in 2013 and they say that what the current 17 does at 50 that this new super mag will do at 200.  Right now savage is the only company that will have a gun chambered for it (If I remember correctly, but could be wrong!). Shot pretty sweet tho. Only time will tell if it will last however.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Pretty sure CZ is gearing up a rifle for this round also
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Savage 93R chambered for this..  Please and thank you.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They're making a rifle called the B-mag for it. It's a new design that'll have locking lugs at the back of the bolt and a 8 round rotary magazine.

I don't own any Savage products yet, but I'm thinking this might be a good excuse to change that. Of course, I'd really like to think of something to shoot at that isn't paper before I buy...
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're making a rifle called the B-mag for it. It's a new design that'll have locking lugs at the back of the bolt and a 8 round rotary magazine.

I don't own any Savage products yet, but I'm thinking this might be a good excuse to change that. Of course, I'd really like to think of something to shoot at that isn't paper before I buy...

My 93r17 is hell on bunnies, squirrels, and such.  Pretty quiet too.  It doesn't scare the shit out of everything within a mile.

ETA:  I like it.  A lot.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2013 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Where have you guys been? I wrote this article almost 3 weeks ago:

Its not like The Firearm Blog is a low traffic site. Nobody saw this?
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 7:22:10 AM EDT
[#37]
I got to shoot it at SHOT in a couple of guns.  I did a complete write-up of the Savage B.MAG here:

http://www.varminter.com/new-savage-bmag-rifle-in-17-winchester-super-magnum/

I also gathered up all my pictures of the new caliber and guns and put them into one gallery here:

http://www.varminter.com/17-winchester-super-magnum-and-the-savage-bmag-rifle-image-gallery/

The gallery includes the Winchester 1885 Low-Wall and a cartridge comparison picture.

I think this gun will be a great fit for folks who cannot hunt with centerfire for predators (25 grain V-Max) and for guys who take longer shots at medium sized varmints such as prairie dogs and ground hogs.

Eric  
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Eric  

Guess I know who put up the pics I posted now.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Where have you guys been? I wrote this article almost 3 weeks ago:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/01/04/winchester-introduces-3000-fps-rimfire-cartridge/

Its not like The Firearm Blog is a low traffic site. Nobody saw this?

You say that as though people here have had discussions about non-political/non-panic related gun stuff.
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 2:45:51 PM EDT
[#40]
OOOOHHH the bmag uses thread in barrels! Fantastic i will own one!
Link Posted: 1/26/2013 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eric  

Guess I know who put up the pics I posted now.  

No problem!  

Eric  

Link Posted: 1/26/2013 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Can the head of the little rimfire case handle a big increase in pressure over .17hmr?
ETA: Ah, it's based on a 27 cal nailgun case. Cool.
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Can the head of the little rimfire case handle a big increase in pressure over .17hmr?
ETA: Ah, it's based on a 27 cal nailgun case. Cool.

Awesome.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top