Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2002 9:19:25 PM EDT
Just bought a Colt 9mm upper on GunBroker for $600.  The user has 0 feedbacks.  I usually don't buy stuff on GunBroker unless the buyer has atleast 10 feedbacks for my own protection.  Hopefully the guy is on the UP & UP, but for some reason I have a strange feeling, but I wanted this upper BAD.  Has anyone ever gotten screwed on GunBroker and used their fraud protection insurance to help them reclaim some of their lost funds?  Anyways, I hope everything works out well on the upper and will send a USPS MO with signature required for later use if necessary (hopefully this won't be needed}.  Do you guys ever get nervous like me sending out large sums of $ witout knowing the person?
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you have good and i mean really good phone contact information on this guy.
Last year i saw about 75 auctions on GB where the seller had no feedback and i noticed that he was selling Glock 27's with no reserve for a starting bid of $250.00 and some sigs for around the same thing,you could lose your ass with that many guns at no reserve and i contacted GB and asked them about the seller,he had a mail box at one of those mail drop places and things just looked screwy to me.
GB never got back to me ,i was able to contact some of the bidders and found out they were waiting and waiting for their guns some 6 weeks already,i then contacted the police in the town that he said he was from and they tracked him down and it was a big scam,when they seized his mail box there was another 25 money orders in it and he was about to skip town, after that is when GB put their fraud protection into affect.
I tried asking questions in their forums about it and the posts were deleted right away and i was e-mailed and told that posts "like mine" were not allowed.
I don't usually blow the whistle on anyone but i could not stand by and let people lose their money like that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I tried asking questions in their forums about it and the posts were deleted right away and i was e-mailed and told that posts "like mine" were not allowed.
View Quote

Welcome to online auctions. We're the bad guys for poking our noses into their listing fees business. [puke]

I don't usually blow the whistle on anyone but i could not stand by and let people lose their money like that.
View Quote

Thanks jrzy. I've tried to do the same thing over some eBay escapades. You really have to work the system... and whenever they make an update to their policies it is usually for their benefit and not the users.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Been lucky so far.... with the auctions.

Got burned here from that one guy a while back.... I won't bring it up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#5]
You know ever since that time GB has not allowed buyers to contact each other,I guess they figured out how I was able to warn the other buyers.
Integrity is not for some I guess.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have sold dozens of concert tickets on E-bay and had complete strangers who could not figure out the auction sites payment technique send me money orders in the mail from $200 up to around $750. I am no choir boy , but my mom raised me right and I would never cheat anyone. ( I have to look myself in the eye and shave every morning )

There is a certain "pucker factor" when dealing with the unknown. Best advice I can give you is just always go with your gut feeling.
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 4:41:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Sending out large sums of money without knowing the person is the way it works. Amazingly enough, most people are fairly reliable.

Get a phone number and give the guy a call just to make sure he is for real.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top