Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2002 10:49:32 AM EDT
I've been invited to caravan to the Knob Creek machine gun shoot on the second weekend of October. I've heard good things about the place, but I've never been there. The people I'm going with are taking some neat hardware. What I want to know is, what should I expect? How's the camping? Do they have food vendors? Someone told me there is a huge gun show in conjunction with the shoot. Is that right? It sounds like a great time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#1]
"What should I expect?"

a lot fewer machineguns than were at this year's BULLETFEST III shoot!

if it rains...prepare for tons of mud. hint: it always rains. bring rain gear and good ear protection. it's really loud down in the valley.

camping? sorry, i only camp at the hilton. i don't know if there are showers...but going by the smell, there isn't.

the gunshow is big and some good deals can usually be found. bring plenty of money to buy mil-surp ammo...it is usually priced pretty low.

be prepared to walk...a lot. sensible shoes are a must.

reasonable food is available onsite.

see ya there!

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Haven't missed one in YEARS.  

Equipment list:

Small backpack to carry all your swag in
Bring a poncho, it always rains.
Hearing protection
Advil (you WILL have a headache by the end of the day)
LOTS of money

See you there...

QS
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#4]
What to expect at the Creek?

Well first, beards. Lots and lots of beards.
And creepy vans full of creepy dudes with machineguns. And dark tinted glasses with big lenses. Like the kind a movie star or shild mollestor would wear.

Alcoholism and divorces, depression, hatred of the government, bizzare behavior, and facial hair.
That's knob creek in a nutshell.

Beards and machine Guns.

As far as Campy's show, i've never been, but I intend to attend.
I met Campy and he is a super cool dude.
He let me shoot his 545.
I'd bet his show would be more fun than the Creek any day.
Look at it like this.
Knob Creek is like Lawrence Welk, and Campys show would be like the Horde tour.
Cooler people at Campys place.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#5]
..........AND.....................

a BADAZZ MINIGUN!!!!!!!!!!

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ................
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
..........AND.....................

a BADAZZ MINIGUN!!!!!!!!!!

View Quote

yep... that alone was worth the trip!
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Do non class 3 peons get to bump their semi's or is it pretty much a spectator sport except when you rent a MG ? (How many people are on the line at a time ?)
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah...I've attended the shoot two times.
On one occasion it Friggen POURED! MUD.........Lot's of mud. Sucked BIG TIME!
Long drive back to Pennsylvania.

However, when the sun is shining the place rocks! Never seen anything like it.
The BEST GUN SHOW I have ever seen. [50]

Loads of FUN. Don't know about the camping.
PLENTY of food vendors. The range has a GREAT breakfast. SO does the Holiday Inn. [:D]

Brother, if you get the opportunity GO!
You will not be disappointed. [bounce]

[uzi] [frag] [heavy] [pyro] [rail] [50]

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]
mcuzi...you HAVE been to the creek!!!

yeah..you'll see dudes that look right out of "the holler" and whacked out looking crazies with big wads-o-cash (probably the only thing that keeps them out of the mental hospitals) ready to buy fast toyz with. and the guys wearing wool military uniforms on a 90° day just freak me out.

yeah, our shoot (bulletfest) is oriented for the shooter. anyone that can even claim to spell "campybob" gets on our firingline. talk about cool folk, i think mcuzi was the only "name" missing, this year!

next year, landon, we're having light artillary...crap up to 75mm, anyway. the morters and anti-tank rifles we had this year were so sweat, and by sweat, i mean totally bitchin' that i HAVE to go bigger and badder!

at the creek, some mofo 91 year old geezer with a jonhson has to croak to open up a spot on the firingline of what??? maybe 40 dudes? then, you have your name on a list that takes years to come to you! hell, we had 400 crazies runnin' nutz at bulletfest! in only 3 years, we had more friggin' machinegunz on the line than knob creek! you guys should congratulate yourselves! man, you out rocked knob creek...and OUR minigun didn't fire no peepee assed 3 second bursts! hellzbellz, i shot it for 5 seconds and the owner wailed on it for 12! no need to inherit a slot on the range at bulletfest!

knob creek is about spectators...making the scene with all the c2 and c3 playerz. the flamethrowers are boring as hell...when they come out, beat feet for the deals in the gun show pavillion.

no body (peons) shoots unless you rent a gun, inherit a spot from the dead geezer on the firing line or enter one of the matches (assault rifle pistol, etc.). be warned...the lines for the gun matches can be very long. get there early if you plan on shooting.

and remember! only rubes carry their ammo back to their vehicles. in polite society, sir hires a mule to pack sir's ammunition cases back to sir's custom humvee. (for the underclasses, a 2-wheeler or red wagon will suffice!)

btw, we'll be the guys eating plateshooter's excellent steaks as waldo chef's them to perfection!
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#10]
You said knob.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

no body (peons) shoots unless you rent a gun, inherit a spot from the dead geezer on the firing line or enter one of the matches (assault rifle pistol, etc.). be warned...the lines for the gun matches can be very long. get there early if you plan on shooting.
View Quote

I used to think the same thing until last spring's Machine Gun Shoot when we walked into the office in the back of the gun store and asked the manager if we could shoot on the main range.  The dude took our money and said to report to the head range officer.  The fellow was very nice and placed us in shooting spots that hadn't been occupied yet.  After years of being a spectator, it was very cool to stand on the line and blast away with the "regulars" even though we shooting only semi-auto weapons.

A better deal than renting automatic weapons is purchasing the Jungle Walk experience.  The dude that runs it gives you two (2) mags for an Uzi and if you don't use all the ammo on the targets, you can spray the creek.  Lots of fun and a much better value than renting on the line.

Bulletfest III was much more fun for participants than Knob Creek, but the gun show and human zoo aspect of KC are worth the price.

I will be at Knob Creek handing out free samples of a new product I designed that should be of interest to plinkers.  See you there!
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 11:46:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been twice & it didn't rain either time. Be SURE to se the night firing, especially if you've never been in the infantry. Way cool shooting tracers at night & seeing napalm, etc. etc.

Wear tennis shoes that you don't care about as you'll walk a bit. The gun show ammo prices are nothing special, I usually get better at the home shows.

Be sure to stop by the Cole Distributors booth & say hello to Gary, he's cool. No, we're not related, dammit!!

Knob Creek is a great place to get those t-shirts that have H&K, etc. on them but your gun show never has.

Do NOT go expecting to pick up any females. >gg<
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top