Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2002 9:08:47 AM EDT
I was very pleased to see on [i]Ashleigh Banfield On Location[/i] an excellent piece on women who were arming themselves in response to the serial murderer in Louisiana.

[url=www.msnbc.com/news/791746.asp]Read the transcript.[/url]  The piece starts about halfway down.  

Favorite quotes:
Check out these numbers. Last August, the number of requests for concealed weapons, 262 permits requested. The first week this August alone, 447 requests. We wanted to see what was behind this, so today we went to a firing range and met with five women who had very different backgrounds. One had a new and larger gun. One had never really had a gun before. The others being there just for refresher courses, but all of them with the exact same motivation, determined to defend themselves against a serial killer.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: If I’m ever in a situation where I need to use it, I need to know how to use it. I don’t want to be scared of the gun. I want to be practiced with it and ready to go. I’ve always carried a gun. I’ve carried a gun for many years, but I’m carrying it a little bit more visibly now. Whenever I walk from my house to my car, you can see my gun.
      JANSING (voice over): You know there are people who that freaks them out, the idea...
      UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes.
      JANSING: ... that somebody is just walking around carrying a gun, and the chances of you actually getting a serial killer are slim and a lot better that you’d hurt somebody else.
      UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [red]Actually, no, because I know how to use a gun. I’ve practiced with a gun. I’m not carrying it waving it around like a maniac at some innocent person that’s out there.[/red]

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I have no intention of owning a gun, but I know a lot of people here in Baton Rouge are purchasing guns. And I guess part of my thing is I want to know how to safely use a gun, because I know that they’re pretty much readily available now, and [red]if I were to ever be in a situation where I was with someone who had a gun and there was a need to use it and they didn’t know how, if I knew how to use it safely, that it makes me more comfortable to think that I would know how to use it safely if I needed to.[/red]
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:10:33 AM EDT
[#1]
(more)
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I’ve taught my girls since they were very little to be aware of their surroundings. When we were in parking lots, we had a routine that we use when we would walk to our car.
      JANSING: Is there a point at which you would bring them here?
      UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Oh, we brought them here two or three weeks ago for a practice session to brush up, that they’ve-they’ve learned-[red]they learned how to shoot years ago. They all have been trained and they know how to shoot, and they know that we have a gun for self-defense in our home, and they know how to use it.[/red]
      JANSING: If your 13-year-old had to use (UNINTELLIGIBLE) happy that she had a gun by (UNINTELLIGIBLE)?
      UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [red]I would rather her have to get that gun out and defend herself than for her to be raped and killed. I love my daughters.[/red] I think everybody is afraid to a certain extent, but not paralyzed fear.
      You know, we have to live our lives.
      It’s just like with the terrorists. The one thing they would love for people to do is to, you know, quit flying, quit doing this, quit-
      (UNINTELLIGIBLE) so they think they’ve won. Well, we’re not going to let this person who is going around terrorizing Baton Rouge right now make us live our lives in fear.
View Quote

Damn, I'm proud of those Louisiana women!

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I fucking Love this. When I hear about people coming together and arming themselves. It brings a tear to my eye [USA]
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
btt (Just once.)
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I fucking Love this. When I hear about people coming together and arming themselves. It brings a tear to my eye [USA]
View Quote

Ditto and BTT. Is this a great country or what? (Well, most of it, anyway...)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top