Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2001 8:47:02 PM EDT
My name is Fuzzbean and I can't stop shooting air guns.

As a teenager I put 10,000+ rounds through a Crossman 766 until it fell apart. Then I got a Benjamin that is now awaiting a valve job after 18 years of service. Even tried an RWS 1100 fps job for a while, but felt it needed a scope and couldn't get one to stay on it. Except for testing, I never shoot airguns from a bench like I usually do real guns. Since I started firing my SKS and AR-15 in local DCM competition I've discovered that my offhand shooting is way ahead of my prone or sitting, compared with the other guys there.

Now I just bought me an older Benjamin air pistol and can't seem to stop shooting the cheap ammo it uses. My neighbors probably don't know about this, but I'm 37 years old so it'd be embarrassing if they found out.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Still have my first Crossman 760 that I got when I was 15 ( it's 32 years old). It died around 1979. I'm on my third one. Also have a RWS 34 in .22 cal and RWS 48 in .177cal. Still love to shoot all three!
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
air rifles are not sissys steyr said before they make get starter guns for younguns and i believe him
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Sissy?  The heft of my RWS 48 is over 8 lbs and it completely splits open an aluminum can full of water.  It will completely remove the head of pigeons and explodes Starlings.

It drops rabbits just like a .22 lr and is amazingly accurate.  I can hit an aluminum can at 100 yards, with iron sights.

As far as training goes, if you can shoot an air rifle accurately, all other rifles are easy.  The spring models (RWS, Beeman and the like) typically don't shoot well off bags due to recoil.  Yes, they have a much sharper recoil than conventional rifles and require special optics and mounts.

Link Posted: 4/6/2001 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#4]
mhmmmmmmm airguns
air guns are so much fun dirt cheap ammo and a ton of fun
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot a RWS model 54 its such a sissy gun that it will shoot clean trough a 2X4.
It will hit asprin at 25yds 9 out of 10 times.
Drops crows like lightning.
sissy gun, ya whatever...
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 10:27:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I still use my crossman on crows and blue jays
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 10:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I like my Beeman.
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Beeman R-1 and an RWS 48. One with a scope and the other with peep sights. They give you the cheap practice for offhand in you shoot Hi-prw. I wouldn't say that it has anything to do with age, but more likely to keep in shape for comp. Besides, the neighbors come over and shoot with me for beer, sodas or pennies.
[}:D]
Link Posted: 4/6/2001 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi,

Since I've been training at home with a Walther Match compressed air-rifle I've seen my Highpower scores improve dramatically.

These matchrifles forces you to perfect your technique like followthrough (the pellet has a relative long barreltime) and position. Kinda like smallbore. Very helpfull indeed.

Cheers,
RG.nl
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:51:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got a Beeman/FWB 300S with a Beeman SS3 scope, and a BSA Supersport with a BSA Airgun Scope (currently in storage).  

Airguns are an excellent way to keep in practice (cheap and quiet).  

My biggest regret is selling the Beeman R-8 I used to have.

Link Posted: 4/7/2001 5:54:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Sissy???  I have a FWB 90 air pistol that shoots .040" at 10 meters, electronic trigger (500 gram)
and cost about $1200. Yea sure it's a toy (for big boys)
Ron
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 6:01:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I have some old Crosman air rifles that are still a blast. I grew up shooting sparrows on my grandparents farm and still do it today. You can really brush up on your marksmanship skills with out speding a large amount of money on ammo! [:D] Milldude
Link Posted: 4/7/2001 6:11:10 AM EDT
[#13]
One of my biggest regrets about my neighborhood going to hell is having to park my vehicles inside of my garage (after having my car stolen out of my driveway).  

I used to have a nice airgun range set up across the garage diagonal which really helped my highpower offhand scores.

Airguns are cool!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top