Page / 3
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Pure genius!!!  

Indeed.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone sells a magazine that has a little counter on it that changes as rounds are added or removed.

ETA:  I like the zip-tie method better.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 12:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
All of my zip ties are black.

My equipment is racist.

Your zip ties are just subdued already.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All of my zip ties are black.
My equipment is racist.

Your zip ties are just subdued already.

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Someone sells a magazine that has a little counter on it that changes as rounds are added or removed.

Me too. I use the dipstick on my windowed PMAGs if that says anything.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always wondered in you could dremel the window gap bigger, install longer window, and just mark on the mag the numbers
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always wondered in you could dremel the window gap bigger, install longer window, and just mark on the mag the numbers

I think they made it so that the whole window stuck out of the magwell. It's a neat idea, but I have never once used it when doing an tactical/admin reload.

My first 10/15 PMAGs were windowed, now I just buy them without for the savings.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 1:09:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they made it so that the whole window stuck out of the magwell. It's a neat idea, but I have never once used it when doing an tactical/admin reload.

My first 10/15 PMAGs were windowed, now I just buy them without for the savings.

I guess I just see a lot of jammed ARs when someone forgets to remove the zip tie and releases the bolt.

That said, I will do this when I get home from work and school tomorrow. Very cool idea.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 1:11:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I just see a lot of jammed ARs when someone forgets to remove the zip tie and releases the bolt.

That said, I will do this when I get home from work and school tomorrow. Very cool idea.

Hahah! Yeah, that's one of the benefits of it being bright white I guess.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 1:11:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice idea.

more economical than Pmags.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice idea.

more economical than Pmags.

But can you drop test them when it's -20 F?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#12]
great Idea thinking I have some zip ties to mark

Can't wait for the MagPull chinese knock off for 9.99 on ebay
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
great Idea thinking I have some zip ties to mark

Can't wait for the MagPull chinese knock off for 9.99 on ebay

ONLY $9.99? Score.....
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I will bump this. I need to think about ANYTHING besides the election right now.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#16]
thats great

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm afraid I'm failing to understand the purpose of this. I already know how many rounds are in my mags since I loaded them.

OP, I'm not knocking your DIY efforts. I applaud anyone who likes to rely on themselves to come up with something to make their lives easier instead of waiting on someone else to do it, but I'm missing something.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm afraid I'm failing to understand the purpose of this. I already know how many rounds are in my mags since I loaded them.

OP, I'm not knocking your DIY efforts. I applaud anyone who likes to rely on themselves to come up with something to make their lives easier instead of waiting on someone else to do it, but I'm missing something.

Because I fuck up counting alot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Really? I lose count all the time.

Plus, I may change out some mags half way, and this helps you count the rounds left over when you consolidate.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? I lose count all the time.

Plus, I may change out some mags half way, and this helps you count the rounds left over when you consolidate.

OK, I can see that. I really do commend/appreciate your initiative.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I can dig it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Cool tip is cool.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

if i was motivated, i would throw a trademark/ patent on it, and sell them on ebay for $2.00 bucks.

Yeah, I considered that... But you know what? It's so easy to do yourself, that it's almost hard to sell.

Never underestimate the laziness of the average American. If we can buy something we don't have to make it. Problems with ebay though are listing fees and paypal fees cut pretty deeply into that $2. List them for $1.75 on the EE and say no paypal(or paypal gift if you're willing to violate their TOS). Also, ebay says no assault rifle parts. Someone would likely see AR or AR15  in the title and report you.

This is true....  Tell me honestly, what would you actually pay for one of these made from black/FDE/ODG polymer?

If it was sitting with the "impulse buys" at the counter, next to the register when I checked out at the gun shop, I'd certianly drop a buck or 2 for one.

ETA- stamp them out of sheets of Teflon or the like, with the increments in the die.  bet you could crank them out for pennies a piece.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#24]
nice one
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool, as far as getting an actual count but all my mags are full and a quick push on the top round verifies that.

ETA: more accurately, all my mags are either full or empty.

Yeah, I have standardized to: 28 in all USGI, 30 in all PMAGs. I've seen to many full USGIs fall out after tactical reloads to not buy into the concept of downloading.

If people want to run them topped off, it's your prerogative.

We seem to be on the EXACT same page on mags.

Either full or empty. A partial mag is to be corrected at first chance. Empty mags NEVER reside in the places full mags reside. 28 is full on USGI, 30 on PMAGs. Tracer mags identified by paracord wrap (identify by feel, not sight). Match ammo mags are the 20rd mags. 30rd PMags (and 28rd USGI) are ball ammo. If a magazine caused malfunction is encountered, magazine is immediately downloaded and used as a target as an example to the others (and to assure the faulty mag does not end up back in use by accident).
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#26]
NEAT!!!

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I see this thingy being handy for ammo consolidation... Seems like it could speed things up greatly if you know just how low a given mag is, quickly, rather than SWAGing it.

I may build mine using my Stainless Steel zipties. Mark with first an electric pencil then an uber-sharpie.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:17:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool, as far as getting an actual count but all my mags are full and a quick push on the top round verifies that.

ETA: more accurately, all my mags are either full or empty.

Yeah, I have standardized to: 28 in all USGI, 30 in all PMAGs. I've seen to many full USGIs fall out after tactical reloads to not buy into the concept of downloading.

If people want to run them topped off, it's your prerogative.

We seem to be on the EXACT same page on mags.

Full or empty. A partial mag is to be corrected at first chance. 28 is full on USGI, 30 on PMAGs. Tracer mags identified by paracord wrap (identify by feel, not sight). Match ammo mags are the 20rd mags. 30rd PMags (and 28rd USGI) are ball ammo. If a magazine caused malfunction is encountered, magazine is immediately downloaded and used as a target as an example to the others (and to assure the faulty mag does not end up back in use by accident).

The tracer round/paracord idea is good. I use a red PMAG cover now.

Also, turn broken mags into tools... I have one that I used when I am working on a lower in a vice, and I even had one screwed into the wall with a couple of blocks behind it for a rifle dispaly mount!
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Thats nice. I could have used that the other day.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Now that I think about it, the stainless steel ziptie would be bad for this... They could crease and become useless. Plastic ones cannot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Neat trick! I'll try to make one with a laser cutter.

Next time you're downtown, holler, I'll pick up lunch.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skillets is a genius! I always use his at the range. I guess I need to go buy some zip ties and do this myself. But, I think I'll just use his

Buy me one of those big ass beers and I will just give you one of these!

Apparently you are willing to sell them. Just for beer and not cash. Fine. I'll take 3. How much beer per guage? How do you want the beer shipped? Just pour it into a cardboard box? I could put it in a Stanley thermos but that ups the price considerably.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#33]
That is cool.  I dont think you would make millions of this or anything but it really wouldnt be a bad idea for you to give it a shot, even if you're not interested in marketing.  Think about it, what if a company or a lot of companies who make magazines decided to include one with all of their magazines and just because you had the idea made you extra cash.  I guess people could just make their own but there are some people who would pay for it.   It would be good for newbies learning to load their magazines.  Ill admit I would count my bullets as I loaded them for awhile I had never loaded a 30 rounds magazine in my life before I bought my AR.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Skillets is a genius! I always use his at the range. I guess I need to go buy some zip ties and do this myself. But, I think I'll just use his

Buy me one of those big ass beers and I will just give you one of these!

Apparently you are willing to sell them. Just for beer and not cash. Fine. I'll take 3. How much beer per guage? How do you want the beer shipped? Just pour it into a cardboard box? I could put it in a Stanley thermos but that ups the price considerably.

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#35]
And using Magpuls own testing technique, I found that they are absolutely crush-proof!

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And using Magpuls own testing technique, I found that they are absolutely crush-proof!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/ODell10/IMG_20121105_192716.jpg

Awesome.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Awesome idea!
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Cool Idea!    

If you have black zip ties, use a silver sharpie, works fine for me, though the silver takes a few more seconds to dry than the normal sharpies.

Do they make them with fine tips? The ones I see are like silver paint mopps.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Awesome idea. I'm going to get some string or fine wire and run a tag through the loop in the zip tie.

Thanks a bunch for sharing
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#43]
cool....but I'm already carrying too much shit as it is...as a range warrior.  I'd lose it and have to buy another from you.   Maybe you could sell a beer coozie that has an even 50 count wrapped around it.

bad idea to drill 3/16 peep holes in the back of the mag and put a tab of clear packing tape over the hole?

and now I'm thinking bout the led counter on the Alien pulse rifle.... poor placement...should be up near the front sight.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Good stuff. I've already forwarded on to friends on FB.

Quoted:

Quoted:

if i was motivated, i would throw a trademark/ patent on it, and sell them on ebay for $2.00 bucks.

Yeah, I considered that... But you know what? It's so easy to do yourself, that it's almost hard to sell.

Skillets makes sense. I would be hard pressed to pay somebody for this. Never the less, great idea!

Doing it wrong.

1.  Make it in FDE, OD, Black and Desert Tan and call it Counter, Operator Bullet, Tier 1.5.

2.  Sell on CTD.

3.  ?????

4.  Profit

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
cool....but I'm already carrying too much shit as it is...as a range warrior.  I'd lose it and have to buy another from you.   Maybe you could sell a beer coozie that has an even 50 count wrapped around it.

bad idea to drill 3/16 peep holes in the back of the mag and put a tab of clear packing tape over the hole?

and now I'm thinking bout the led counter on the Alien pulse rifle.... poor placement...should be up near the front sight.

This slips conveniently behind the molly weave on your mag pouches...
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#46]
I love this idea! Most useful DIY tool I've seen in a while. OP - IM is inbound.

I went about it a little differently than the OP. I started my marks at 2 rounds (at 1 it's pretty damn obvious) and then made a red mark every 5 rounds, with black hash marks in between. This makes it very quick and easy to use. Since I like to load my AR mags to 28, I made a large red mark at the top where 28 is, and then marked 29 and 30 with green (different color means pay attention - in this case, too many rounds!). Then I covered the whole thing with clear packing tape to protect the numbers from rubbing off. NOTE: spraying a sealant on will make the marker run and you'll have to wipe it all off and start over, or so I've heard.

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 5:53:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I love this idea! Most useful DIY tool I've seen in a while. OP - IM is inbound.

I went about it a little differently than the OP. I started my marks at 2 rounds (at 1 it's pretty damn obvious) and then made a red mark every 5 rounds, with black hash marks in between. This makes it very quick and easy to use. Since I like to load my AR mags to 28, I made a large red mark at the top where 28 is, and then marked 29 and 30 with green (different color means pay attention - in this case, too many rounds!). Then I covered the whole thing with clear packing tape to protect the numbers from rubbing off. NOTE: spraying a sealant on will make the marker run and you'll have to wipe it all off and start over, or so I've heard.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/rizzo1318/IFT/ARMagDipstick1.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/rizzo1318/IFT/ARMagDipstick2.jpg

Cool!

I have done similar. I've had ten different versions––some with dots, some like you did, some with numbers on every line.

Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Awesome idea. I'm going to get some string or fine wire and run a tag through the loop in the zip tie.

Thanks a bunch for sharing

Interesting mod. What would be the purpose?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/rizzo1318/IFT/ARMagDipstick1.jpg
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/rizzo1318/IFT/ARMagDipstick2.jpg

Okay, I'll say it....
You just made this simple tool more complicated that chinese algebra, congrats.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#50]
YEW RITE SMALL REAL PURDY
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top