Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2002 4:42:16 PM EDT
[url]www.israelmilitary.com/[/url]

I'd like to know what the English translation is on the shirts offered this page.  I don't want a shirt with a cool logo that says "the dog eats cheese car slowly".  [:D]  AND I want to be able to give an informed reply when asked what the Hebrew says.

Q - why does the T-53 IAF FLIGHT SQUADRON shirt spell "squadroN" as sqadroM"?

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Yiddish.

[:D]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#2]
From: [url]http://www.bergen.org/AAST/Projects/Yiddish/English/yiddish.html[/url]

What is Yiddish?

Yiddish language, member of the West Germanic group of the Germanic subfamily of the Indo-European family of languages. Although it is not a national language, Yiddish is spoken by about 4 million Jews all over the world, especially in Argentina, Canada, France, Israel, Mexico, Romania, and the U.S. Before the annihilation of 6 million Jews by the Nazis, Yiddish was the tongue of more than 11 million people. Yiddish, although it is not a national language, is spoken by Jews all over the world. It arose (c.1100) out of a blend of a number of German dialects in the ghettos of Central Europe, and from there it spread to other parts of the world. Phonetically, Yiddish is closer to Middle High German than is modern German. Its vocabulary is basically German, but it has been enlarged by borrowings from Hebrew, Slavic, Romance languages, and English.

and btt [:D]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't want a shirt with a cool logo that says "the dog eats cheese car slowly".
View Quote

ROFLMAO!

All you cheese car are mine!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, TATE asked a question about theHEBREW on the shirts, and you guys gave him info on YIDDISH. Two different languages, guys; although the occasional Hebrew word is sprinkled here and there in Yiddish.  Both are written in the Hebrew alphabet, but they are totally different languages.

By the way, the info on the origin of Yiddish is correct, with one exception.  It was not the only language spoken by the Jews of Europe.  The Jews who originated in Spain, and were expelled by the Inquisition in the 1490's and emigrated to Italy Greece Turkey and North Africa, spoke LADINO.  As Yiddish derives from medieval German, Ladino derives from medieval Spanish.  It too is written in the Hebrew alphabet.  Oh by the way, Queen Isabella did NOT sell her jewels to finance Colubus's trip. It was financed with the expropriated property of the Jews that had been expelled.

O K--now that we've had the linguistcs, I'll flip over to the T shirt website, and get back to you with the translations on the shirts.  Stand By
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#5]
i cant translte hebrew,
but i can down a coldbrew...
does that help?
well it makes [b]more[/b] sense after a few...i guess
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey shamayim,

What does [b]shamayim[/b] mean?
Is it healer or helper or seer?
Am I close?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
is this what your talking about?

[img]http://www.israelmilitary.com/images/st11.gif[/img]

IDF = Israel Defense Forces

I guess the "funny looking letters 7,N,5."
correspond to the first letters of the three words inside the banner.

I don't think there is a cryptic message about arafat humping a sheep.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]
That was easy, because in just about all the pics, the description under the shirt is 1)a transliteration of the Hebrew word(s) on the shirt and 2) the second line is an English translation of what the Hebrew means.

So shirt #T27 which is the emblem of the Israeli Armed Forces has on the shirt the Hebrew word TSAHAL, which is shown in English letters right under the pic; and under that it tells you what the Hebrew means.  The only one I saw that I had a problem with was T10, the Navy Commando shirt.  While it has the unit name in Hebrew under it,  the shirt itself seems to have a unit motto below the emblem pic.  I can't read it cause it's too small and blurry on my monitor.

Anyway, be assured the any of these shirts that you get will have the unit name and maybe some other ID on it , and won't say "Eat at Joe's".
A lot of them seem also to have an English translation of the Hebrew right on the shirt. Not surprising, since nglish is by far the most taught foriegn language in Israeli schools.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
is this what your talking about?

[url]http://www.israelmilitary.com/images/st11.gif[/url]

IDF = Israel Defense Forces

I guess the "funny looking letters 7,N,5."
correspond to the first letters of the three words inside the banner.

I don't think there is a cryptic message about arafat humping a sheep.
View Quote

Sounds great.
How about this, though?
[img]http://www.israelmilitary.com/images/t10.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Shamayim is the Hebrew word for Heaven--and  for "blue sky".  It is also my son Shayne's Hebrew name.  It is not a traditional "people" name, and was my Israeli raised wife's idea. Having her one and only child at the age of 43 was to her a heavenly event [:d]

I just sat here for a couple of minutes resisting the urge to go on and on about what a great little guy he is.  Anyway, hope I've answered the question.

Oh yeh, just one more piece of info for anyone who is going to get shirt T 27. TSAHAL is an acronym for the Hebrew: TSvai HAganah L'yisrael; Israel Defence Forces.  So you'll sound like someone who knows what he's talking about if you get the shirt and somebody asks[:D]
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, shamayim.  Take good care of your little guy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top