BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Most Christians express the Golden Rule as; "Love thy neighbor as thyself"  Jews don't say it that way.  What we do say is; "Do not unto thy neighbor that which is hateful unto thee"

That, my friends, is the major difference between Christianity and Judaism. The Christian strives for an ideal which is often impossible to attain in the real world.  The Jew is commanded to do something that is attainable.  You can hate your neighbor, and still not do him harm, but you may find it impossible to love him.

View Quote

That is an wonderfully  insightful and as far as I can tell Scripturally correct assessment of the differences in the two faiths.

Christ said almost exactly the same thing in Matthew 5-7.

Of course, Christ didn't take such a casual attitude that the Jews of His day had pared down the Mosaic law to an attainable standard.

Christ held that while the standard IS unattainable in our own  power, the power of God is freely made available to MAKE us  pleasing to God, thru the righteousness of Jesus Christ.

Very interesting, Shamayim.

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Most Christians express the Golden Rule as; "Love thy neighbor as thyself"  Jews don't say it that way.  What we do say is; "Do not unto thy neighbor that which is hateful unto thee"
View Quote

Interesting, I've always stated the Golden Rule as "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  That's probably closer to the Jewish version.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey team:

I appreciate all the insightful posts on this topic.  It was I who used the words "Chosen People" in another thread and I am glad to hear the opinions expressed in this one.

I for one believe that the Church is intended to become the Bride of Christ (New Testament) but from my reading of the OT, the Jews have always been held in special favor to the Lord.

ELEFTERIA made the comment that the Jews who receive Christ "will receive the inheritance of "the first son", a double blessing, according to Jewish tradition and custom".  Now that is something that I had not thought of and to me anyways, seems to allow that the Jews have been held in special favor by the Lord, while also allowing that blessings bestowed on the Gentiles who also accept Christ.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
HBAR16 -

You seem to have a good grasp of Christian doctrine.

I'd appreciate seeing your Scritural proof texts for your understanding of the notion of National Israel being God's chosen people.

Then I'd welcome your analysis and comment on the Scriptures I've presented in this thread.

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't mean to denigrate anyone's religion. I was raised Christian myself.

However, the net result of several thousand years of this banter back and forth between cultures, faiths, sects, and doctrines is still the same today as it was the first time a believer's blood was spilled on the sand. Death, destruction, hate, war, and a host of other evils blasphemously committed in the name of each other's god.

To date, there's still no concrete evidence to support much of what gets kicked around other than some texts which have been through countless revisions. There's no FACT here. There never has been any. It's all rooted in tradition, ritual and emotion.

It's a sad state of affairs when such large segments of humanity still to this day cannot recognize a simple truth. When you keep doing things the same way, you will continue to net the same result.

Carry on with the killing in your God's name... all of you. I'll be hanging out on some mountain somewhere with the Taoists.

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]
May the Goddess grant all of you peace and forgiveness from the intolerance of others.

I have to go hug an old pine and feed some spotted owls, but when I get back I pray you've all come to realize that I am the chosen one.

My spirit guide pig will also pray for you ignorant misguided children.

-Also in before the lock.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Hope some folks here like the smell of burnt toast. The Old Testament proves itself out in fulfilled prophecy. The New Testament is fulfilled prophecy, and an article of faith.
Shamayim, I take it from your posts, you are a reformed jew??
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#8]
after reading alot of this crap i kind of like the Jewish philosophy of being a constructive person while ur on earth and not trying to be perfect so u can be accepted in some pure all Christian Country club called heaven when u die. i just want to enjoy my time hear with my family and friends.Make enough dinero to enjoy my hobbies(guns & boats)send my kids to college,
keep the wife happy and have something to leave them when im gone.I have nothing against u bible quoting types until u start preaching ur views on me, thats annoying. Most of the born - agains i know were the most womanizing , drunken, law breaking people i know, but miraculously they were saved by Jesus in a nick of time. So u guys keep fighting over whose the chosen people and who will be allowed in Heaven cause truth be told none of u really know cause ur neither dead nor perfect.Like when my dad died and people were telling me he is in a better place, or god has a plan for him and i just said how the fuck do u know.
Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:10:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
after reading alot of this crap i kind of like the Jewish philosophy of being a constructive person while ur on earth and not trying to be perfect so u can be accepted in some pure all Christian Country club called heaven when u die. i just want to enjoy my time hear with my family and friends.Make enough dinero to enjoy my hobbies(guns & boats)send my kids to college,
keep the wife happy and have something to leave them when im gone.I have nothing against u bible quoting types until u start preaching ur views on me, thats annoying. Most of the born - agains i know were the most womanizing , drunken, law breaking people i know, but miraculously they were saved by Jesus in a nick of time. So u guys keep fighting over whose the chosen people and who will be allowed in Heaven cause truth be told none of u really know cause ur neither dead nor perfect.Like when my dad died and people were telling me he is in a better place, or god has a plan for him and i just said how the fuck do u know.
View Quote

They didn't know, they were just trying to make you feel better.

Born-agains aren't perfect, nobody is. Nobody ever will be until they get to wear a white robe stained with blood.

Jesus said I will go to heaven and not suffer a second death if I have Faith in a few beliefs. I believe I have that Faith and honestly believe I will get there even though I'm a huge-ass sinner.

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:29:33 PM EDT
[#10]
heres another huge ass sinner right beside 'ya!

which is not to say RodgerDodger that God doesn't see my sin and treat me accodringly.  I know in my heart that many of the things I have done in my life have displeased Him and have caused many problems in my life, and [b]will[/b] cause me great grief and sorrow when i am called to stand before him in His judgement.  Any [b]true[/b] believer is pious and righteous: 1. because he wants to do what he has been commanded/ what is pleasing to the Lord and 2. because he knows that even his most minute of transgresstion will all be accounted for on the day of reckoning.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:00:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In my experience, most non Jews have developed a totally inaccurate definition of what the phrase "chosen people" means when used to describe the Jews of the world.  I've just seen it happen again on another thread; so I'm writing this, so as not to hijack the other thread.

First, what the label does NOT mean:

It does NOT mean "chosen for special benefits in the world"

It does NOT mean "chosen for a special place in Heaven"

It does NOT mean "chosen for  special favor in the eye of the Almighty"

It DOES mean "chosen for the responsibility of bringing the concept of ONE G-D to the world".

And that's all it means.

We don't seek converts because we don't believe that we have any exclusive path to Heaven.  If there is a Heaven (and we don't even preach that there is for sure one), we believe that any rightous individual, no matter what his or her belief, will attain It.

An Israeli friend of mine was once heard to utter the prayer, "Next time G-d, please choose somebody else.  We've caught enough hell over being chosen the first time."  There are days when I totally agree with him.

View Quote

Shamayim, I would like to ask you a couple of questions. There were twelve tribes originally. Of these Twelve Tribes, are they all Jews? How did Ephraim and Manessah come about?

If you, as a Jew, think that all of the original twelve tribes were Jews. Oy Vey, do I have some land, in Florida, that I would like to sell you! Only under twelve feet of water. Work with me here, and see if you might agree with me. Logically, there are more chosen people than just the Jews.

When King Solomon died, his son Rhehoboam became King. A delegation of men from ten of the tribes went to him, with Jeroboam as their spokesman. Jeroboam asked Rhehoboam to, "please lift this heavy burden of tax your father has laid upon us." Rheoboam replied, "If you think my fathers yoke is heavy," "wait until you see mine."

A schism came about and the Ten Tribes went north to Bethel and set up the Kingdom of Israel, which became known as the Northern Kingdom. The Southern Kingdom, The Judeans, The Benjamites and a part of the tribe of Levi (Priests) stayed in Jerusalem and became
refered to as the Kingcom of Judea. From Judea, and Judeans is where the word Jew came from. A nickname.

Before the schism the twelve tribes, the Hebrews, were selected by God, to be Gods chosen people. That had to include all of the tribes, along with the tribe of Ephraim and Manessah.

Have you noticed on ancient maps of the Holy Land, that there is not a portion alloted to the Tribe of Joseph. His allotment was divided between Ephraim and Manessah, his two children.

If the Twelves Tribes were chosen to be Gods Chosen People, and if the Judeans are only a portion of Gods Chosen People. Who are the other tribes, "The Lost Tribes?" They are not Jews, and they are also Gods Chosen People. They are, like the Jews, Hebrews. Who are they?

What I have pictured, in words, is not Christian Identity, or British Israelitism.

How about the Celtic descent countries -- Could they be the Lost Tribes?

Israel, the Ten Tribes, was carried away, into Bondage, about 34 AD. They were taken, by the Sythians (sp?), into the Caucuses (sp?) Mountains in the area of the Black sea. From out of the Caucuses came the Celts. Originally called the Barbarians.

The Diaspora started with the Jews being carried into bondage in about 70 - 77 AD.

Any ideas about the origins of the Celts? Might they be a portion of the chosen?

Bill
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You forgot Orange Jews [:D]
View Quote

Is that anything like Orange-Irish?
View Quote

LOL...I'll take that to mean Catholic Jews?

Nope, I've never known an observant Jew to convert to being Catholic...But then again, I haven't met every Jew on the face of the Earth.  I'm sure there are a few Agnostics who married into a Catholic family, but thats probably about it.

Messianic (Christian) Jews are pretty well set =)
View Quote

Orangemen are Protestant. Catholics are Green.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting. And informative.

Biblically,  "Chosen" means ALL the things you say it doesn't mean.

View Quote

This is because you are utterly ignorant of Jewish things... I remind you that Bible was written by Jews...

Today, God's ONLY messasge to the world is in Christ Jesus.

Any message outside that message is not of God, according to Biblical  doctrine.

garand(TheInformative)man
View Quote

Bullshit...
View Quote

PaoloAR15, aren't we lucky to have you to thank for raising the level of the language in the discussion.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#14]
[b]Originally quoted by Shamayim
Most Christians express the Golden Rule as; "Love thy neighbor as thyself"[/b]

No, no Shamayim, you have the quote wrong. The Golden rule is, "Do unto others," "as they would do unto you." "Only do it first."

Bill
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sorry I didn't respond to the smart asses sooner, but I've been busy the last few hours, living life with my wife and son.

1) I opened this thread solely because two writers on another thread were talking about the Chosen People thing, and I didn't want to hijack the other thread by getting into it over there. Yes, Garand Man was one of them; I can't recall who the other was.  For myself, I don't really care what y'all think about us; just so long as you treat us fairly.  

2) McUzi, it takes me about 5 minutes to "count my money". I'm a security officer at a federal agency, I own no stocks or bonds, and my Gentile ex-wife stole all my savings in a divorce 10 years ago. Think I've managed to acquire about two weeks pay in my savings account.  But it's OK if you want to think all Jews are rich.  You're entitled to be the biggest anal pore around. After all this is America.
View Quote

Shamayim - I like your way with words. Your subtility with your sharp verbal rapier is terrific. I will highjack your quick witted verbiage many times. your riposte, "You're entitled to be the biggest anal pore around." Is cunning, savage, and beautiful.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top