Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2002 9:26:52 PM EDT
A friend called tonight and said they detected a dirty bomb that has entered the country from Windsor ,Ontario ,Canada. Can't find anything on the news or web . Anyone know about this ?
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:36:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Biggest arab community in America is in Detroit, and Canada basically grants residency to anyone who steps off a plane onto their soil.  So that seems like a logical point of entry.  I haven't heard anything about it though.

What's the big hubbub about dirty bombs, anyway?  It blows up, and everyone in the blast region gets the equivalent of a chest x-ray. BFD.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The equivalent of a chest xray?  Are you serious?  some raw radioactive material, either waste or fuel would be a lot more like standing in the middle of the chernobyl plant.  That's where the term DIRTY comes from....this is bad stuff, you don't want to be anywhere near it unless you want your hair to fall out, have a nasty metallic taste in your mouth, have sores and welts on your skin, get cancer via the fastrack method and have your balls turn into a nuclear accelerator.  Did I mention you will probably die an agonizing death after all the aforementioned problems?

Chest X-ray my ass.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Canada sucks A$$!!!!!!!!!

Time for them to tighten up the regulations on giving residency
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:07:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't mind living in Canada... you know... in the backwoods... alone... without the Candian government knowing I was there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 10:10:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Authorities Probing Unauthorized Shipment of Radioactive Material
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,59379,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Does anybody have a Geiger counter I can borrow?

They had a bomb threat at the federal building in downtown Detroit today also.

Guess we're going to have to go down to the river tomorrow and fire a few warning shots into Windsor.  [}:D]
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:47:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The equivalent of a chest xray?  Are you serious?  some raw radioactive material, either waste or fuel would be a lot more like standing in the middle of the chernobyl plant.  That's where the term DIRTY comes from....this is bad stuff, you don't want to be anywhere near it unless you want your hair to fall out, have a nasty metallic taste in your mouth, have sores and welts on your skin, get cancer via the fastrack method and have your balls turn into a nuclear accelerator.  Did I mention you will probably die an agonizing death after all the aforementioned problems?

Chest X-ray my ass.

Mike
View Quote

Your post shows the real threat of dirty bombs: the psychological fear they could cause.  It wouldn't be like Chernobyl, there's no way they could amass that amount of radioactive material.  Even plutonium dust exploded outwards isn't that dangerous, unless you somehow inhale of swallow it so it gets lodged in your body somehow.

I've never been in an explosion, but I'm sure my first instinct would be to get the funk out of there (assuming I could).  Maybe the radiation would make the bomb a little more lethal 5-10 years down the road for people who took in lungfuls of debris, or were immobilized but not killed outright by the blast.

The radioactivity would make rescue and cleanup sticky and amplify terror effect, but tht's about it I think.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top