Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2012 8:19:27 AM EDT
So in AZ, ATV's need a title to get registered.  The one I want to buy doesn't have the title - was originally purchased from out of state - but I want to make sure that there isn't a lien on the ATV so I don't have trouble getting a bonded title.

I have the VIN.  Is there a service that can check that info for me?  Carfax?  Can anyone run it for me?
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I know my local honda dealer will run VIN #s for me.
got a good enough deal on one I called on the spot to make sure it wasnt stolen...lol

try your local Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/ etc. etc. dealer
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I called the Polaris dealership and Polaris as well.  Dealer couldn't help.  Polaris was able to tell me who the registered owner was (who happens to be the person that the current owner said he bought it from), but nothing else.

Does anyone here have a Carfax account that they can use to run a report for me?
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't think carfax does OHVs

At least around here only way to do it is get it inspected by the sheriff

which has to be done anyway if it is out of state title  or is a currently non titled vehicle

they won't be able to get you crash/service info but will let ya know about theft and liens

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 10:43:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Contact the MVD. They will be able to tell you if the ATV has a lien.

Bummer the only brand I don't retail is Polaris or I could have helped more.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.  I called local Phoenix PD, and they ran the VIN against a national DB of stolen vehicles and said that it didn't turn up.  So now, I have to contact the DMV in the state it was originally purchased in to see if they can run the VIN and see if it has a lien on it.  Should be fun.

Thanks for the help and tips!
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got my pecker slapped for asking for Carfax assistance even though there are ARFCOMers that have commercial accounts, etc......
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I just got my pecker slapped for asking for Carfax assistance even though there are ARFCOMers that have commercial accounts, etc......

there was a huge rash of carfax begging over a very short period of time awhile back and the powers that be cracked down a bit

I assume you might have gotten caught up at the wrong time

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I called the Polaris dealership and Polaris as well.  Dealer couldn't help.  Polaris was able to tell me who the registered owner was (who happens to be the person that the current owner said he bought it from), but nothing else.

Does anyone here have a Carfax account that they can use to run a report for me?

Just pay for it.  Its cheap - and more importantly - Carfax is highly flawed and incomplete.

Begging for free Carfaxes here is bad juju.  Carfax goes after websites that allow that.

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#9]
You will want to get a title.  You can be street legal in Arizona.  You will also need tags to hit the trails.

http://servicearizona.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top