Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/16/2012 8:05:27 AM EDT
So I was thinking about Wesley Clark and the Pristina Airport thing. For those who don't know the background, it goes something like this. At the end of the Kososvo War, NATO and the Russians were sending in peacekeeping troops. NATO wanted to be completely in charge, the Russians didn't want to work under NATO. The Russians took charge of a major airport before the US had a chance to get to it. Wesley Clark wanted to attack the Russians, but the head of the British forces, Mike Jackson, flatly refused saying he wasn't going to start WW3 for the likes of Wesley Clark. A two day stand off, diplomacy, and then it was all over.

Back on Capitol Hill, Hugh Shelton and John Warner said Jackson was insubordinate and wanted him courtmarshalled, while the British gave him an attaboy for his clear thinking.

So the question is, what the hell was Clark thinking? He had to know shooting Russian troops just to prove he was in the right would turn out badly, real badly. So why do it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:07:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Disturbing, isn't it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#2]
You're assuming he was doing any thinking at all.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]
<WesleyClarkwitheyeliner.jpeg>
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#4]
because children of the cold war...hate russians..
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#5]
That's just it, I don't understand why Clark, or his bosses at NATO, ever though shooting Russians over an airport was a good idea. At the very least, the Russians withdraw their peacekeeping forces, but more than likely they retaliate. So why risk it over an airport when the diplomats can work something out in a few days?

Beyond that, why did Washington think Clark was in the right and that Jackson needed to hang for saying no? I thought part of the deal with higher ranking officers was knowing when to say no.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Wesley Clark :  "I like to hunt. I have grown up with guns all my life,
but people who like assault weapons should join the United States Army ...

Thats all I need to know about Clark...

PS.  Fuck you General.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:17:59 AM EDT
[#7]

I thought this rang a bell when I read it. I remember reading somewhere that when the singer James Blunt was there, he had refused to advance and 'start World War 3'.

"In 1999, he served as an armoured reconnaissance officer in the NATO deployment in Kosovo. Initially assigned to reconnaissance of the Macedonia-Yugoslavia border, Blunt and his unit worked ahead of the front lines directing forces and targeting Serb positions for the NATO bombing campaign. His unit was given the assignment of securing the Pristina International Airport in advance of the 30,000-strong peacekeeping force; the Russian army had moved in and taken control of the airport before his unit's arrival. According to Blunt's own account of the incident he refused to follow orders from NATO command to attack the Russians. There were less intense moments during Blunt's Kosovo assignment. Blunt had brought along his guitar, strapped to the outside of his tank. At some places, the peacekeepers would share a meal with hospitable locals, and Blunt would perform. It was while on duty there that he wrote the song "No Bravery"."

"Gen. Wesley Clark had ordered the NATO troops to seize control of the airport but it is claimed Gen. Sir Mike Jackson backed the decision of Capt. James Blount (now better known as singer James Blunt) to disobey this order for fear of "starting World War III"."

Who would have though that this guy potentially averted a major crisis?

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#8]
This was the airport we dropped a JDAM on wasn't it?

If this is the airport I am thinking of, there was a russian radar array at this airport/airbase that we bleieved was used to shoot down that F-117. If I recall the story properly, we dropped the JDAM at the entrance to the underground command and control complex and Russian Speznaz parachuted in in a matter of hours to secure the buildings. They didn't even bring food or water. Everything in those bunkers ended up being taken out and flown back to Russia.

You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_bombing_of_Yugoslavia

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought this rang a bell when I read it. I remember reading somewhere that when the singer James Blunt was there, he had refused to advance and 'start World War 3'.    

"In 1999, he served as an armoured reconnaissance officer in the NATO deployment in Kosovo. Initially assigned to reconnaissance of the Macedonia-Yugoslavia border, Blunt and his unit worked ahead of the front lines directing forces and targeting Serb positions for the NATO bombing campaign. His unit was given the assignment of securing the Pristina International Airport in advance of the 30,000-strong peacekeeping force; the Russian army had moved in and taken control of the airport before his unit's arrival. According to Blunt's own account of the incident he refused to follow orders from NATO command to attack the Russians. There were less intense moments during Blunt's Kosovo assignment. Blunt had brought along his guitar, strapped to the outside of his tank. At some places, the peacekeepers would share a meal with hospitable locals, and Blunt would perform. It was while on duty there that he wrote the song "No Bravery"."

"Gen. Wesley Clark had ordered the NATO troops to seize control of the airport but it is claimed Gen. Sir Mike Jackson backed the decision of Capt. James Blount (now better known as singer James Blunt) to disobey this order for fear of "starting World War III"."

That's crazy. That god damn song was on all the time in my college cafeteria.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wesley Clark :  "I like to hunt. I have grown up with guns all my life,
but people who like assault weapons should join the United States Army ...

Thats all I need to know about Clark...

PS.  Fuck you General.

No, everything you needed to know about Wesley Clark happened during Waco. He was the CO of Ft Hood and his political rise came with his cooperation and silence.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Here and on other forums, members who have worked under Wesley Clark have stated their views of him.  I have yet to hear one single positive view from anyone who has ever worked under him.  The overall consensus of Clark is that he is an asshole who advanced on the backs of those below him and that he had no problem throwing subordinates under the bus to cover his ass.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:59:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
<WesleyClarkwitheyeliner.jpeg>

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Remember sitting in my posh hotel room in Budapest watching Sky News as they broke away from Al Gore's Live speach about the Russians not sending in troops because they told him they promised not to ...... to live video of Russian Troops entering the Airport !
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I prefer this version

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]

No Wes Clark fan for sure, but I think there is still some debate on the exact wording of Clark's order to the British, and their speed and willingness to carry it out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You're assuming he was doing any thinking at all.

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Okay, that's just downright cool.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Clark is an idiot, it's amazing he ever made it past 2LT.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Clark is a gonad.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Meh, lets go ahead and get WW3 over and done with. We all know its coming. The Russians are who they are and we are not like them. Let's cut off a couple of live rounds and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I see now problem with what Clark wanted to do as he was in the right.  He was not going to buckle to the Russians.  I was in service at this time and was north of there, he was right, the Brits were wrong.  Fuck the cock sucking russians.... always.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I see now problem with what Clark wanted to do as he was in the right.  He was not going to buckle to the Russians.  I was in service at this time and was north of there, he was right, the Brits were wrong.  Fuck the cock sucking russians.... always.

Lord, I hope you were never an officer or NCO...

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#24]

I think WC is a tool.

But if you are given a lawful, moral order you carry it out whether you disagree with it or not.

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Id like to add Foglesong to the thread of US disasters in Europe.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think WC is a tool.

But if you are given a lawful, moral order you carry it out whether you disagree with it or not.

Negative.  Officers swear an oath to the Constitution first and to obey orders second. Also, there is a dutg to disobey unlawful orders.   Remember Mylai4?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Holy shit, this is the craziest thing I've read all day.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think WC is a tool.

Negative.  Officers swear an oath to the Constitution first and to obey orders second. Also, there is a dutg to disobey unlawful orders.   Remember Mylai4?

Read what I said CoC personal attack edit...krp  

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I think WC is a tool.

Not in coalition warfare.

Your partners carry out orders if it coincides with their national interests.

British national interest isn't always the same as ours. Many within the British military and government have spun a rather self-serving tale, with Clark as the perfect baddie, to play up British restraint and pragmatism.

I have no doubt that the situation Clark faced was slightly more complex than Wiki lets on, and as I've said, I wouldn't piss on Wes Clark to extinguish him should he catch on fire.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So as a military commander you're fine with not reaching your objectives as dictated to you and letting others take it, ok got you......  Lets hope you're never in charge of anything except a fast food restaurant.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#31]
This is an awful lot of hand ringing about shooting a bunch of damn russians.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
This is an awful lot of hand ringing about shooting a bunch of damn russians.

The whole Balkans NATO escapade should have been a cautionary tale for the creation of ISAF, but people wanted to paper over the real issues with coalition warfare.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:50:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So then I said, "Screw the hostages, it's their fault they are in the line of fire anyway."  
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So as a military commander you're fine with not reaching your objectives as dictated to you and letting others take it, ok got you......  Lets hope you're never in charge of anything except a fast food restaurant.

Here are some orders from Brigadier General Jacob H. Smith, US Army:

"I want no prisoners. I wish you to kill and burn, the more you kill and burn the better it will please me. I want all persons killed who are capable of bearing arms in actual hostilities against the United States.”

Should these objectives be reached as dictated to you?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:03:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your post would make more sense if NATO had been at war with Russia instead of engaged in multinational peace keeping operations.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#36]
The russians pulled a lot of serb equipment out if there before we could get it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The russians pulled a lot of serb equipment out if there before we could get it.

No, it was Russian equipment operated by Russians.
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

"I want no prisoners. I wish you to kill and burn, the more you kill and burn the better it will please me. I want all persons killed who are capable of bearing arms in actual hostilities against the United States.”

What part of lawful vs unlawful orders do you not understand?
Link Posted: 8/16/2012 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#39]
It probably went more like, "Get there before the Russians get there!"

"Well old chap, we'll get moving as soon as we have our tea."

Then the Russians landed.

"He wants us to attack the Russians! Let's not."

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Wesley Clark is so effectively dumb he endorsed Obama.

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 9:13:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell Roaring Smith was court marshalled for giving that order...

Link Posted: 8/16/2012 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Disturbing, isn't it?

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 2:04:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

as I've said, I wouldn't piss on Wes Clark to extinguish him should he catch on fire.

What about beating out the flames with a hammer?
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 3:37:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Clark was my brigade commander back in the late 80's.
I wouldn't put anything past that snivelling POS.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Only faggots and sailors are called Wesley.
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 3:49:03 AM EDT
[#46]

In an interview with BBC Radio 5 live broadcast Blunt recounted the following:

I was given the direct command to overpower the 200 or so Russians who were there. I was the lead officer with my troop of men behind us from the Parachute Regiment, so they're obviously game for the fight.

"The direct command [that] came in from Gen Wesley Clark was to overpower them. Various words were used that seemed unusual to us. Words such as 'destroy' came down the radio." Asked if following the order would have risked starting World War III, Blunt, who was a 25-year-old cavalry officer at the time, replied: "Absolutely. And that's why we were querying our instruction from an American general.

"Fortunately, up on the radio came Gen Mike Jackson, whose exact words at the time were, 'I'm not going to have my soldiers be responsible for starting World War III', and told us why don't we sugar off down the road, you know, encircle the airfield instead.

If Gen Jackson had not blocked the order from Gen Clark, who as Nato Supreme Commander Europe was his superior officer, Blunt said he would still have declined to follow it, even at the risk of a court martial.

He said: "There are things that you do along the way that you know are right, and those that you absolutely feel are wrong, that I think it's morally important to stand up against, and that sense of moral judgement is drilled into us as soldiers in the British army."

http://www.bellybuzzonline.com/celebrity-veterans/2011/3/28/james-blunt-captain-british-army-1997-2002.html
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Pics from Pristina and Russian involvement in Kosovo

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 4:45:58 AM EDT
[#48]
We had no business being in there in the first place.  It would be pretty fucking stupid to start WW3 because someone was interfering with your interfering.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2012 4:56:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Spelling Nazi Bulletin:  It's courtMARTIAL, not court MARSHALL.

That is all.

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

We had no business being in there in the first place.  It would be pretty fucking stupid to start WW3 because someone was interfering with your interfering.  

Or starting WW3 over a bunch of Albanians.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top