Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2002 8:52:05 PM EDT
OK, pardon my complete ignorance here, but I'm wondering this...

For instance when you do a transfer through an FFL, or pick up a gun at an FFL in the state of Oregon, does the gun get registered?

Like the yellow form you fill out (I forget the name, 4477???), is that registering the gun, or what exactly is the point of it?

I know what when they call in for the background check the Gov is 'supposed' to destroy all that info within 24 hours...

Basically the question boils down to is this:

When you get a gun from an FFL in the state of Oregon, is that gun now registered?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I was wondering that too.....
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
i think, and i'll be corrected if wrong, that the ffls have to keep  the paper forms filed, and the gov is supposidly destroying the record of the called in check

i have a question

i live in wisconsin

can my mom in ND buy a hand gun from a dealer there and give it to me as a birthday gift while remaining within the law?

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]
In Illinois they only ask if its a long gun or handgun.No ser# or model,type

They are suppose to destroy this too.They keep records of denials though.The only place the # ect. is suppose to be is in dealer books and 4473.They are not suppose to remove or copy 4473 from the dealer without cause[criminal,stolen]but they do it anyway.Example retiring dealers turn over all 4473 in last 10 years.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]
That form is supposed to remain in the hands of the FFL I believe. There is not any federal registration, or so they tell us. Registration is a state issue.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Every gun bought through a licensed dealer is eventually registered. Three guesses who gets the records when a gunshop closes down.....

Scott

Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#6]
In most cases (if not all?) the FFL is supposed to file and keep the (I believe) yellow copy. So technically, it IS registered with the FFL.

As far as NICS goes, I would guess your name is STILL logged somewhere, somehow. If it isn't under "gun owners", it is probably logged as "people who might own guns"

I believe the BATF can get any information from an FFL whenever they feel like it.

Look at it this way, the FFLs are keeping records for the BATF.

I would say that the answer is YES.

(I'm NOT trying to bash FFLs, they are doing what they HAVE to do.)
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:45:34 PM EDT
[#7]
All buyers from a FFL holder must fill out a 4473 Form. It remains on file at the dealer until he goes out of business & then ALL of his forms go to the BATF.

BATF is allowed one "surprise" or unannounced inspection a year per FFL holder, IIRC. They are allowed of course to trace a firearm if it's involved in a crime.

AFAIK, any immediate family member is allowed to purchase a firearm for a gift w/o it being a "straw purchase", provided the receipent is legally able to own.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#8]
so is that enough or do I need to register my guns with the state?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
so is that enough or do I need to register my guns with the state?
View Quote

Only a few state require "registering" one's guns, IIRC. CA is one I think as is maybe IL. As long as the gun is not stolen & you are legal to own, there's no problem.

If you have doubts, call a local gun shop or police dept.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:46:42 PM EDT
[#10]
California registers handguns at the time of purchase.  Long guns aren't unless they are "assault weapons" that had to be restered before a deadline.

If you move to California you must register your handgun with the state.  If you have an "assault weapon" you can apply to have it registered but that is extremely unlikely to happen.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
California registers handguns at the time of purchase.  Long guns aren't unless they are "assault weapons" that had to be restered before a deadline.

If you move to California you must register your handgun with the state.  If you have an "assault weapon" you can apply to have it registered but that is extremely unlikely to happen.
View Quote

There is no reason for any private citizen to own an assault weapon.

As for the confusion created by many differing standards and levels of disclosure, that will all change eventually.  All guns will be registered.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:08:05 AM EDT
[#12]
A lot of former MKS rifle owners now know what a 4473 is good for, ATF Used manufacture to FFL to 4473's paper work to find them and confiscate ! So essentially it's defacto registration.......
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is no reason for any private citizen to own an assault weapon.

As for the confusion created by many differing standards and levels of disclosure, that will all change eventually.  All guns will be registered.  
View Quote

[:k][:k][:k][:k][:k][:k][:k][:k][:k][:k][:k]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:30:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A lot of former MKS rifle owners now know what a 4473 is good for, ATF Used manufacture to FFL to 4473's paper work to find them and confiscate !
View Quote

And this was done where............?????

[:K]  [:K]  [:K]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top