Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2002 12:23:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/21/2002 6:01:05 PM EDT by themao]
Stack-On interests me the most. My parents don't want a heavy 1000 lb Browning safe in our home, since we may move in a few years again. My mom's jewelry and my guns would be store in this, thus a top shelf for the jewelry and enough room for 8-10 guns would be ideal. Something that weighs less than 150 lbs is a must. I would bolt it to the wall or floor as well. Is there anywhere else that sells Stack-On safes besides Cabela's? I live around St. Louis, MO, and Dunn's Sporting Goods wouldn't give me the time of day yesterday, and I'm pretty POed about it. Thanks, themao [chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 12:54:30 PM EDT
Perhaps you should change the title from "picking" to "choosing". Then again, maybe my mind is just in the gutter today...
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 1:10:51 PM EDT
Something which weighs less than 150 pounds isn't a safe (IMHO) more like a gun cabinet. If the 'safe' is because you want to secure your firearms from thiefs, I'd spend more and get something nice. 1000 pound safes can be moved. If it is to just keep kids away from them, a cabinet isn't a bad idea. I think it all depends on the value of your weapons. Why skimp if you have a pricy collection.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 1:26:55 PM EDT
Try sportsmansguide.com and search on gun vault. they have a few different model homak gun cabinets and a sentry gun safe listed. sam's club also has the next size up sentry on their web site. The cabinets are nice for keeping away from the kids if you are home, I think they are one step above hiding them under the bed if you are not home. The safe is not that hard to move. A furniture dolly and some pipe and you should be able to move a small one.
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:04:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dbrowne1: Perhaps you should change the title from "picking" to "choosing". Then again, maybe my mind is just in the gutter today...
View Quote
ROFL! Good call dbrowne1. 7 and FL_BOY: I'm 21, the only kid left, and I'm in a dorm 11 months out of the year. The sole purpose is to provide some sort of protection for my guns and my mom's stuff. My dad doesn't want a big Browning safe, because we have no clue how to get it inside and back out again. Furthermore, we may move soon, and with all the other things my parents are occupied with, it's on the bottom of their priority list. If we do move, that is what we'll get, because that is the best way to go. For now, it looks like Homak or Stack-On is the way to go. I will be able to bolt it to the wall. We have ADT and live in a pretty secure neighborhood, so I doubt the crook is going to walk off with the damn thing.....I hope. Thanks guys. Any more suggestions are VERY WELCOMED. themao
Link Posted: 7/21/2002 6:22:52 PM EDT
How about a modular gun safe? you can break it down. Each piece weighs less than 200lbs.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 7:26:04 AM EDT
How about a mobile gunsafe? [img]http://botachtactical.com/lib/botach/highwaycrownvic19[/img]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 7:29:03 AM EDT
I installed one made by stack-on. I biolted it into the floor and the studs of the wall. GET ONE THAT IS DEEP! The pistol grip on my AR prevents the door from closing! I have to store it sideways! Plus, the stack-on looks like an electrical box. It'll do the trick until I get a real house...
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 3:06:07 PM EDT
pick up a sentry from the local wal-mart....they got the 10&14 gun firelined.they are small enuff to move but are still large enuff to get some stuff in..I just picked up 2 more one for the bedroom closet and one for the garage at my brothers house.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 8:02:37 PM EDT
I just bought a Browning Whitetail and it weighs only about 375 lbs. Dick's has a Remington 21 gun safe on sale now for $799.00. They have a 6 month same as cash deal right now if you open up a charge with them. Bite the bullet and buy a real safe. The stack ons can be pried open with a crowbar. A good safe will out live all of us, money well spent.....
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 8:12:05 PM EDT
I have no experience with them but try [url]http://www.zanottiarmor.com/[/url] It comes in parts and you put it together...
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 8:39:38 PM EDT
I bought a 14-gun Homak. The one with the separate digital keypad box on top. It seemed to be a little better quality than the Stack-On stuff. I regret it though. Ten seconds with a small crowbar and it would be open. It's better than not locking them up though. I paid a little over $250 for it, wish I had just bought a safe. By the way, I know what you're talking about with Dunn's, a person could light themselves on fire and run around for 20 minutes before anybody that worked there would notice. The only time I go in there anymore is just to kill time, but I won't buy anything. Graf & Son's on Fifth Street in St.Charles has a pretty good selection of safes.
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 9:23:22 PM EDT
Top Top