Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2002 8:38:14 PM EDT
Holy GOD this is a great film. The acting, the cinemaphotography, the sets, the soundtrack, THE STORY! This is undoubtably one of the best gangster films ever made...there have been entertaining films this year, but no real GOOD ones until now. I can't recommend this one enough.

Ok...now...for any of you who have seen it: what pistol was Jude Law's character using? It looked real familiar, but I  couldn't quite place it.

Oh man...this really is a good film...I didn't expect it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats good to hear, Ive been wanting to see that movie, I didnt know it was already out.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it was a Browning .380. I forget who made them, but there was a small pistol with the spring wrapped around the barrel, making it look large and round like an astra.

BTW, I loved the movie. I like dark movies. I thought it the way that you could feel the emotion and pain in the story was amazing.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:45:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Glock 19
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the heads up.

I saw a trailer the other day and it looked good, right up until I saw what's-his-name (damn, I can't even think who it is [BD]) and figured it wouldn't be worth seeing.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok...now...for any of you who have seen it: what pistol was Jude Law's character using? It looked real familiar, but I  couldn't quite place it.
View Quote
Looked like a 9mm Astra 400 to me.

[img]http://www.9mmlargo.com/400/400_right.gif[/img]

Of course, the Astra swallows pretty much anything that can be mistaken for a 9mm round - they're not very picky. (I wish rifles could be like that at times!)
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Interesting take on the movie guys.

I have also read that this is just more liberal propaganda disguised as art (after all, it is directed by the same ass that directed "American Beauty") , and that the ending plays out like it was scripted by Sarah Brady.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Interesting take on the movie guys.

I have also read that this is just more liberal propaganda disguised as art (after all, it is directed by the same ass that directed "American Beauty") , and that the ending plays out like it was scripted by Sarah Brady.  
View Quote
Two questions:

1. How is it "liberal propaganda disguised as art"?
2. What's your gripe with "American Beauty"?

Regarding the ending (no spoiler here), I saw it coming before I even walked into the theatre. This type of ending has been around long before Sarah Brady's hubby took one to the head.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn't particularly care for the anti-gun nature of this film either.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought it look like a Astra Falcon, something like the 400 just a shorter barrel.
Tom
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was boring.
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#11]
This post discusses events from the end of the movie.  If you don't want to see them, don't read them.
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this.

I walked out of that movie wanting a refund.

I don't know anything about "American Beauty", but here's what bothered me:

1.  Kid refuses revolver from Dad.  "I don't want it."

2.  Kid won't use lethal force to save his own life, AND THIS IS CELEBRATED.

3.  Kid grows up never to touch a gun again.  YAY.

4.  And of course, Dad gets what's coming to him for being an evil gun-toter.

OK, I did hear about "American Beauty".  Isn't that the one where the guy finally gets his life straight and the evil gun nut kills him in a murderous rage?  That's a GREAT one...
Link Posted: 7/14/2002 10:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Posted by Skullworks...
What's your gripe with "American Beauty"?
View Quote

-White male gun owner is portrayed as an abusive authority freak parent, negligent husband, closet Nazi, and latent homosexual.

- Denigrates the nuclear family & extols the virtue of a "gay union." The gay neighbors are the only normal & functional characters in the entire film.

- The selling and use of illegal drugs is shown in a positive light.

-Prevailing message that pursuing the American dream inevitably leads one down the path to greed, loveless relationships, and a general lack of fulfillment.  

I'm sure there are other examples that I can't remember (I saw the film once, when it was in theaters), but you get the point.

IMHO, "American Beauty" is wish fulfillment for liberals. Its cinematic vision confirms that in the war to dominate this country's culture & future, they are right and we are wrong!  

The only redeming value that the movie has is that you get to see Thora Birch's full, round, voluptuous breasts in all of their glory!!!  [sex]
(She is the brunette BTW)

Link Posted: 7/14/2002 11:08:22 PM EDT
[#13]
American Beauty, the earlier film by the guy who directed Road to Perdition, was indeed dumb.

For some reason Hollywood seems to think that making fun of the bourgeois is daring, cutting-edge art, despite the fact that it's become one of the tiredest cliches in existence in the last 30 years.

I'm still waiting for a thriller movie in which the corporate CEO _didn't_ do it.

Link Posted: 7/14/2002 11:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Posted by Skullworks...
What's your gripe with "American Beauty"?
View Quote
-White male gun owner is portrayed as an abusive authority freak parent, negligent husband, closet Nazi, and latent homosexual.
View Quote
Ah, whereas I saw an abusive authority freak parent, negligent husband, closet Nazi, and latent homosexual who happened to be a gun owner. The gun owner part is not the most important aspect of who someone is.
I bet there's more to you than just being a gun owner, right?

- Denigrates the nuclear family & extols the virtue of a "gay union." The gay neighbors are the only normal & functional characters in the entire film.
View Quote
Because all we saw of the gay neighbors was the part of their life that they shared with people outside of their house. Also, we only get to see two families in the movie. Yes, both are dyfunctional, but in different ways. One has a controlling patriarch, and the other has a controlling matriarch.
The film points more to the fact that there is no such thing as a "normal nuclear family." (More on this later.)
No one is normal. There will always be someone who would label you as a freak if they met you.

- The selling and use of illegal drugs is shown in a positive light.
View Quote
No. They show the sale and use of drugs. The Lester character is changing a lot of things in his life, and part of this is reliving his youth, where he apparently used pot. As in regards to positive light - if it wasn't for Lester's drug use he wouldn't end up shot by the neighbor.

-Prevailing message that pursuing the American dream inevitably leads one down the path to greed, loveless relationships, and a general lack of fulfillment.
View Quote
I disagree as in regards to the American dream. The wife is pursuing an [b]image of what she thinks is the perfect life[/b]. If the American dream is just an image, then yes you're right. In my mind the pursuit of something that is just an image will result in "a general lack of fulfillment."

To me the American dream is to make the best of who you are, to excel in all that you do. It's not a question of having a color coordinated house with a white picket fence and elevator music playing during dinner, or to portray an image of having a perfect life. That shit is just a glossy surface.

American Beauty, to me, said that image doesn't count unless you are happy. Obviously the wife had the image of perfection, but she wasn't really happy.
The Lested character comes to the conclusion that life should be enjoyed, it's not supposed to be some Calvinistic nightmare. He sees that though his family might appear perfect to the casual observer, it's become disfunctional, and he tries to change this. His wife, on the other hand, only has the image of perfection to cling to, and is not willing to admit that something is wrong (instead she blames everything on Lester once he no longer meets her image of perfection.)

Lester tries to win back his family as it already  is loveless and dysfunctional. He wants to change it, he wants [b]them[/b] to be happy again. So in that sense the message is opposite to what you received.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Of course, the Astra swallows pretty much anything that can be mistaken for a 9mm round - they're not very picky. (I wish rifles could be like that at times!)
View Quote

It looked like a Savage model 1907/10 to me.
[img]http://members.aol.com/savage1907/1907page.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

It looked like a Savage model 1907/10 to me.
[img]http://members.aol.com/savage1907/1907page.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Damn, that makes it even more difficult! Well, I won't push for the Astra any more than I already did, because I honestly didn't get a good enough look at the gun in the first place.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:52:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone have any more ideas about Jude Law's pistol??

Now I'm really curious.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Could be a Model 1922 Browning (haven't seen the movie). It has a similar profile to the Astra.
[img]http://www.marstar.ca/images/Browning1922-1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Haven't seen the movie, but based on your descriptions, another option would be a Remington Model 51.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#20]
It was a pretty good flick (no Godfather tho).  After a slow start, I was really starting to enjoy myself - until the bathroom scene where Mike Sullivan shot his 1911 three times without having the hammer back on it (must've been one of the [I]early[/i] Para Ordnance LDA prototypes, eh?).

I think we're getting close with the Savage as to what type of pistol Jude Law had - especially the slide serrations which where really thick.  I think the barrel on Law's gun was longer than the Savage's though.  I know I've seen it before on the Empire Arms website.  It's a FN and probably in 7.65mm (.32 acp).
(Where's Dean Speir when you need him?)
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:02:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
 - until the bathroom scene where Mike Sullivan shot his 1911 three times without having the hammer back on it (must've been one of the [I]early[/] Para Ordnance LDA prototypes, eh?).

View Quote

That ruined it for me, I was kinda dissapointed in the whole film...
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Road to Perdition took forever to end it seemed and the body count was WAY too low.  I was pretty disappointed with this film.  If you want a great crime drama, go rent L.A. Confidential.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I had to laugh in the trailer where you hear the sound of the 1911 being racked as Hanks pulls it out of his pocket one handed.
Definetly an early experimental Para-Ordinance.

For a good gun movie, go see "Reign Of Fire", lots of FAL's and AR's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top