Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/2/2002 5:52:07 PM EDT
I will be traveling to san antonio tomorrow and I will come from North I-10 and will take 1604 East to Stone Oak Parkway. Should I expect any problems?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:11:04 PM EDT
Forecast says 11,000,000% humidity. I-10 was closed just outside of 1604 much of the day. It's supposed to start raining again around 7am (although we just started getting some REALLY impressive thunder & lightning again). I'd say it's possible, but stay tuned to the radio (550AM) as you approach. Or better yet, postpone if possible.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:14:31 PM EDT
i remember the last flood ya'll had. the real bad one where some people drowned in a underpass or somthing. real shame. and when alison came to houston that sucked for us! good luck out there
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 4:23:32 AM EDT
I have driven in San Antonio during a moderate rain. The water does not run off the freeways there. It just kind of pools there. I think they use it as a secondary water source to irrigate the crops. They should rename it the I-10/I-35 reservoir. I was passed by an old lady driving an airboat.
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 11:00:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/5/2002 11:03:38 AM EDT by BlammO]
The problem isn't so much the water collecting on the interstates as it is the flood waters rising up to them. This is the second 100-year flood in 4 years. [:\] Now Houston -- THERE's a place that knows floods! About 12 years ago, I left my office near I-10 & Beltway 8 just as it started raining. Made a half hour round trip and found the frontage roads at that intersection impassable. There was about 8" of an 18-wheeler's exhaust pipe sticking out of the water. The rest of the tractor was entirely submerged!!! I found out that day that a Honda Accord can be driven in water up to the door handles (but no higher than the bottom of the windshield). I didn't drive into it either. The water came up around me on the surface streets. But my trusty Honda got me home. IIRC, there were over 4,000 cars destroyed that day. I-10 was an underwater parking lot for miles. [Edited for to be fixin' my badly grammar.]
Top Top