Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 2/20/2012 11:59:39 AM EDT
Story Link

If a terrorist attempted to attack or take over one of OST's vehicles (not only 18-wheelers, but also fleet trucks, vans, and even dune buggies), they would have to contend with a lot more than just the specially trained agents manning them. "The trucks have all sorts of goodies, the details of which are mostly secret," Bunn says. The cabs are fitted with custom composite armor and lightweight armored glass, as well as redundant communications systems that link the convoys to a monitoring center in Albuquerque. A driver has the ability to disable the truck so it can't be moved or opened, and the truck is designed to defend itself, OST officials claim. How so remains unclear, though its parent agency, the DOE, contracted in 2005 with an Australian weapons company called Metal Storm to develop a robotic 40-millimeter gun that could "distribute large quantities of ammunition over a large area in an extremely short time frame."

<Continued in link>

Metal Storm.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:01:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Mother Jones??? Really?

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Mother Jones??? Really?  

Found the story on slashdot.  link
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Story Link

If a terrorist attempted to attack or take over one of OST's vehicles (not only 18-wheelers, but also fleet trucks, vans, and even dune buggies), they would have to contend with a lot more than just the specially trained agents manning them. "The trucks have all sorts of goodies, the details of which are mostly secret," Bunn says. The cabs are fitted with custom composite armor and lightweight armored glass, as well as redundant communications systems that link the convoys to a monitoring center in Albuquerque. A driver has the ability to disable the truck so it can't be moved or opened, and the truck is designed to defend itself, OST officials claim. How so remains unclear, though its parent agency, the DOE, contracted in 2005 with an Australian weapons company called Metal Storm to develop a robotic 40-millimeter gun that could "distribute large quantities of ammunition over a large area in an extremely short time frame."

<Continued in link>

Metal Storm.  

METAL STORM
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Never knew there were 3 Warren AFB so close and in 3 different states !
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#6]
From my experience, the movement of a nuclear weapon is a much larger operation than anything that the author describes.

However, the swarm of blue suburbans pickups and hummers are kind enough to let you pass all the way through the convoy.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#8]
If bad guys wanted to get a nuke I'm pretty confident jacking one of ours during transport would be about the least likely way they'd be able to get it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#9]
4 out of 4 OST guys I've met we're cool as hell.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If bad guys wanted to get a nuke I'm pretty confident jacking one of ours during transport would be about the least likely way they'd be able to get it.

I dunno man, if dying for Allah is your thing it seems like a good plan
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:26:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Some nuclear transport teams use bread vans, motor homes, custom vans, etc.
I've been in hamburger joint off an Interstate when one came in.
7 or 8 men came in from three different directions, wearing photographers vests, shirts out, etc. All were carrying concealed in civilian clothes.
I got nervous and stepped out to smoke a cigarette to basically see what was going on.
There was a motor home outside running with two men in it, a bread van with no markings I could see, and a custom van with an extremely large darkly tinted window in it's side. The sun was shining where you could see the outline of tac gear hanging in the van.
All the vehicles were backed into parking so they could leave in a hurry.
On some Interstates the police do not stop vehicles in a convoy like that because they have been told not to.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Interesting reading... OST agents can make warrantless arrests, but have to obey all traffic laws

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Interesting reading... OST agents can make warrantless arrests, but have to obey all traffic laws

I don't care what the fact sheet says, if they think it's show time it's gonna be a fucking mess.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Mother Jones Stoned??? Really?  

DP

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Warrantless arrests are no big deal, almost anyone can do that.

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:45:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Some nuclear transport teams use bread vans, motor homes, custom vans, etc.

I've been in hamburger joint off an Interstate when one came in.

7 or 8 men came in from three different directions, wearing photographers vests, shirts out, etc. All were carrying concealed in civilian clothes.

I got nervous and stepped out to smoke a cigarette to basically see what was going on.

There was a motor home outside running with two men in it, a bread van with no markings I could see, and a custom van with an extremely large darkly tinted window in it's side. The sun was shining where you could see the outline of tac gear hanging in the van.

All the vehicles were backed into parking so they could leave in a hurry.

On some Interstates the police do not stop vehicles in a convoy like that because they have been told not to.

Are you sure it wasn't just some Arfcommers going on an urban safari?

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Couldn't we just fly them where they need to go?
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:48:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

From my experience, the movement of a nuclear weapon is a much larger operation than anything that the author describes.

However, the swarm of blue suburbans pickups and hummers are kind enough to let you pass all the way through the convoy.  

Yes and no.

Yes, the convoys are large and heavily armed.  And nothing is marked or in uniform.  There are no hmmwvs in an OST convoy, just a shitload of pickup trucks, suvs and semis. Air Force convoys usually have several up armored hmmwvs with machine guns, as well as a few armed helicopters with FLIR orbiting, not to mention half the cops of the area parked at every freeway ramp.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#20]
This shouldn't suprise anyone. If you drive a truck long enough you know what to look for and you also know what doesn't look normal. I've had the luck of driving some abnormal equipment down the raod and have had a few odd looks, but that is all it is. Just a look.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#21]
So is Nuclear Truckers going to be the next reality show on the History Channel?
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Hell yeah, security up the ass. And those dudes won't hesitate to put bullet holes in people. They don't fuck around.

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So is Nuclear Truckers going to be the next reality show on the History Channel?

Hell ya!
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, if Mother Jones writes about it, it must be true...right?  

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Fucking Ninjas, these guys are.  High speed fucking ninjas.

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#26]

The trucks are probably decoys and they just ship UPS.

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Just wait until they report we  also use commercial airliners to transport radioactive material.

-SS
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes and no.  

Yes, the convoys are large and heavily armed.  And nothing is marked or in uniform.  There are no hmmwvs in an OST convoy, just a shitload of pickup trucks, suvs and semis. Air Force convoys usually have several up armored hmmwvs with machine guns, as well as a few armed helicopters with FLIR orbiting, not to mention half the cops of the area parked at every freeway ramp.

My experience is limited to AF convoys moving canned sunshine around in the Warren Missile Field.  

I can also tell you that they are not happy when FedEx tries to leave a package on the ground next to a rural mailbox about five minutes ahead of the convoy.  Not happy at all.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Bullshit propaganda scare story. Why locate power plants, except to associate them with weapons?
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Without saying too much, those convoy are pretty damn hard targets.  

Even harder than some of the places they come from or are going to.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Go buy one in &$@)(&@"&$ they are on the market.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Look up the requirements for being hired and to stay employed.  I talked to a recruiter at a job fair 2 years ago...sorry, nope, I'm too old for that shit!
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#33]
That map is outdated, There aren't any nukes at Nellis.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#34]
i have seen them years ago running across I 40. stopped to eat and take a whizz.

not sure I would want to mess with them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'd watch it!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 3:50:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Those guys are highly trained LEO's who have one mission, protect the shipment of nuclear material and in the event it is captured retake it. Thats there job, thats all they do. They will lay down the mother fucking hate to do it.

A shipment guarded by OST is like god damned Fort Knox on wheels. They are like Wu Tang Clan, ain't nuthin to fuck with.

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I would wager there is far more really going on than this article depicts, the truck itself is probably only a small center piece of a massive operation that monitors and gaurds these shipments while drawing very little attention.

Interesting how they seem to paint the picture of some small group of wild and unstable drunks plowing through the country side with a load of nukes, based on a small number of instances over the course of more than a decade. Article seems to have little lean to it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I would wager there is far more really going on than this article depicts, the truck itself is probably only a small center piece of a massive operation that monitors and gaurds these shipments while drawing very little attention.

Interesting how they seem to paint the picture of some small group of wild and unstable drunks plowing through the country side with a load of nukes, based on a small number of instances over the course of more than a decade. Article seems to have little lean to it.

A lot of those stories regarding drunk agents and what not were at training venues and not while traveling.  The agency doesn't make the news often, but when it does it usually is because something went wrong or someone messed up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I took a LEO/Security firearms instructor class that included a guy from OST a few years ago.

On day 1 the instructor was talking about the "Use of force contimum" and how, while some agencies policies differ slightly, the general pyramid was: Verbal Command, Hands On, Impact Weapons, Deadly Force" (or something close to that. It's been a few years)

The instructor asked if the student's agencies had any different policies. The guy from OST said, "Ours is: 1. Step away from the truck. 2. BANG! And we can often skip #1."

(Interesting class. Besides the OST guy there were two or three private security nuke plants guys as well. Some interesting stories got told at lunch)
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 6:48:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I took a LEO/Security firearms instructor class that included a guy from OST a few years ago.

On day 1 the instructor was talking about the "Use of force contimum" and how, while some agencies policies differ slightly, the general pyramid was: Verbal Command, Hands On, Impact Weapons, Deadly Force" (or something close to that. It's been a few years)

The instructor asked if the student's agencies had any different policies. The guy from OST said, "Ours is: 1. Step away from the truck. 2. BANG! And we can often skip #1."

(Interesting class. Besides the OST guy there were two or three private security nuke plants guys as well. Some interesting stories got told at lunch)

The guy from OST said, "Ours is: 1. Step away from the truck. 2. BANG! And we can often skip #1."

Good luck with that.....
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#42]
From my limited experience, I can say its serious business.  I cant recall the termanalogy, but I was stationed at a safe haven base (I think thats the name).  
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy from OST said, "Ours is: 1. Step away from the truck. 2. BANG! And we can often skip #1."

Good luck with that.....

I have no doubt about this story.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#44]
I've actually seen a shipment just west of Albuquerque on I 40 back in early 2000's. I found it a little strange when I saw them stopped by Grants, NM on the side
of the road.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#45]
TSMT is a company out of Missouri that hauls DOD and DOE loads. They have a "ghost" fleet that the company can't track, only the Gov.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 7:45:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a friend that used to haul for them, he is ex military.  He said the ones that followed him were all good guys, but he said they were very professional and well armed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck with that.....

When it comes to nuke security all bets are off.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have a friend that used to haul for them, he is ex military.  He said the ones that followed him were all good guys, but he said they were very professional and well armed.

You have to let the Gov anally probe ya to get in the door!!!

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck with that.....

I have no doubt about this story.

So if you have some homeless guy get close to a tuck at a truckstop to try and wash the windshield he is just going to be shot?  Same goes for protesters or anyone for that matter.  What people think happens and what really happens....

Link Posted: 2/20/2012 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
TSMT is a company out of Missouri that hauls DOD and DOE loads. They have a "ghost" fleet that the company can't track, only the Gov.

There were lots of TSMT trucks around SE ID when I was a kid. It seemed like everyone's parents worked for the government, either at the INEL site or in less remote office buildings.

At least one of my friends' parents were on the SRT at the time. We were always very polite to them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top