Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2002 11:42:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had good luck with Wolf 223.  I understand the concerns of those who speak ill of it, but I'm willing to replace an extractor every few cases of ammo if necessary, and still be saving money.  I do have one rifle that does not like it, and others I wouldn't want to try, but for plinking ammo it's dirt cheap.  And with that ammonia smell, it must be cleaning the whole rifle as you shoot. [:)]  I've put 100 rounds of Wolf 9MM through my PT92 in less than 2 minutes and didn't have a single problem.  It's important that people understand the reasons against using Wolf ammo, but if the risks are acceptable, save money and shoot more.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll stick with SA battlepack.  It isn't much more and it works great in my M16 and other AR15's.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, I went through much Wolf ammo yesterday in 762X39, 9mm, and 223 with zero problems.  Saw wolf run without a problem through the Mac 11, Thompson sub guns too.  It was a Wolf kind of day.  Even took home a 500 pack from ammostore while they were there.  Did see some problems with the SA, tearing the rims off, but that could have been the individual rifle it was being shot in.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#4]
We fired 1200 rounds of Wolf 223 yesterday at Bulletfest.  The barrels were to hot to touch, zero problems.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'll stick with SA battlepack.  It isn't much more and it works great in my M16 and other AR15's.
View Quote

What are you going to move to when the SA stuff dries up--as some say it already has?
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Still aint sold here.....S.A.Battle Pack or PMC for my children.I've seen to much extractor wear.The SKS and AK I'll run the Wolf through becase they are just a cheap plinker in my eyes. But my AR variants are worth some kind of care I have not liked the chamber wear steel cased ammo shows......just .02 cents in a Sea Of Opinion
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What are you going to move to when the SA stuff dries up--as some say it already has?
View Quote

There will probably always be some sort of surplus ammo out there.  Hopefully. [:)]  There is the Guatamalian.  Then there is the PMP in the Gazelle boxes which is new and doesn't cost much more than the SA battlepack ammo.  Plus it is reloadable.  etc...
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#8]
So what happens when the Wolf ammo dries up too. It won't be here forever.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Heck as long as were tossing pennys [:)] I've picked up many fired steel cases, and I have never seen (as far as I can remember) one scratched through the laquer to the steel.  I would think that there would be no steel to steel contact made.  I wouldnt think laquer would wear a chamber more than brass.  Faaaaaarrrrrrr be it for me to tell anyone what to shoot in their firearms, but I just can't figure where this additional wear comes in.  I like my reloads best of any ammo in my ARs, but I sure get tired of keepin track of all that brass, especially at an event like bulletfest.[;)]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I have some but have thousands of rounds of SA so I haven't used much of it.  I would think that the nickle plated cases wolf is putting out at about the same price as the lacquer stuff would catch on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish Wolff would refine their powders a little. The flaming chuncks of unburnt powder flying 15 yards down range, from even flash supressor equipped rifles, are a fire hazard for us southwesterners.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I have used Wolf as a number of others I know. Nothing but trouble. I have asked others at the range and I haven't run into one person who said it didn't give them any trouble.
I have shot a lot of the Barnaul which is the other Russian brand without a hitch.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#13]
i've had less trouble with wolf and barnaul in my ar's than any other ammo.

judging by a 20,000+ spent cases i picked off the grass from bulletfest...i'm not alone in my assesment of wolf's worthiness!

did i mention, you guys are slobs? heheheh!
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been using Wolf for a while, and I've not had any problems in any of my MG's.  I think if you have a chrome lined, mil-spec (5.56 not .223) barrel, you'll have much better luck with it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad you had luck with it in yours.

But shooting russian laquered ammo pretty much turned me off to AR's for awhile. I had bought a new Bushmaster, and couldn't find out why it jammed on me after I started using that cheap ammo. Got rid of it. Finally got back into AR's, and glad I did. Using good ammo and good mags, my AR's are plenty reliable.

And with SA, Guatemalan, and the olympic ammmo being so cheap, it's hardly worth it to buy Wolf. At least in my opinion.

But again, if it works for some, more power to you. Glad you like it. Just that I wouldn't recommend it to someone new to AR's.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't overlook American Eagle ammo by Federal for plinking. In at least 2 locations in my area it's cheaper than Wolf and in my opinion better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top