BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well, I'm thinking about having the frame gussets water-jetted only because the gussets constrain the shape of the frame and they need to be very very accurate. Considered CNC Plasmajet, but I am concerned with the HAZ in the 6061-T6, even though I can get around it by undersizing the holes and oversizing at the edges, but that means manual finish....which would somewhat defeat the point anyways.

Anybody know of some one off waterjet places? The gussets nest on a 36x48x.125" plate of 6061-T6.

I guess I don't understand.
In my experience gussets can be anything and any shape as long as it re-enforces the structural design properly, but I haven't seen your plans.
Me thinks you might be "over engineering" certain design functions.

BTW, Today I just dropped another $1k on my project - alternator ($400), engine mounts ($450), West System Epoxy ($130), fiberglass tape ($21).
I hope you get off much much cheaper than me....
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#2]
In this context, it isn't a traditional gusset like you would have for welding. They go on either side of the square tube truss frame and bolt into place - basically, the gussets act as your cut and drill guides for the tubing to bolt the fuselage together.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I'm thinking about having the frame gussets water-jetted only because the gussets constrain the shape of the frame and they need to be very very accurate. Considered CNC Plasmajet, but I am concerned with the HAZ in the 6061-T6, even though I can get around it by undersizing the holes and oversizing at the edges, but that means manual finish....which would somewhat defeat the point anyways.

Anybody know of some one off waterjet places? The gussets nest on a 36x48x.125" plate of 6061-T6.

In my experience gussets can be anything and any shape as long as it re-enforces the structural design properly, but I haven't seen your plans.

BTW, Today I just dropped another $1k on my project - alternator ($400), engine mounts ($450), West System Epoxy ($130), fiberglass tape ($21).

Think bolted bridge truss gussets.  Same thing on this project.

And as usual, Aero, you explain what I'm thinking in half the words.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think bolted bridge truss gussets.  Same thing on this project.

Ah!
OK, gottcha.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

OST

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 5:24:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Gusset Example (Hardware clearance holes and hardware removed for clarity)

Link Posted: 2/17/2012 12:55:13 PM EDT
[#12]
So I started a yahoo group for those of us who are trying to modify the Afford-A-Plane to be Part 103 legal.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Part_103_Affordaplane/

Should be pretty neat to see what the brainstorming shakes out.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top