Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2002 12:37:50 PM EDT
I have been kicking around the idea of getting a motorcycle for a long time.  I grew up riding a dirt bike on our farm and have missed it for many years.

I went to a very nice dealer today and MAN, Harleys, Suzukis, Kawasakis, and some I never heard of.

A salesman had me sit on a new 2001 Suzuki Intruder Volusia.  Man was it nice.  They want 5500 for it.  I just am clueless.  I like that low rider cruiser style with a back rest for the wife.

Any bikers out there with advice on what to get for the best price.  Really any advice is appreciated.

patsue
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
How old are you?
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Take all the forthcoming 'get a Harley Davidson, the rest suck... only real men ride Harley's' replies with a grain of salt.

Having owned and sold 2, they ain't all that...
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Here's the new addition to my family.

Honda F4i
[img]http://www.hondamotorcycles.com/models/2002/images/sport/gallery_popups/CBR600F4i_02.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone asked how old I was.  I am 36

patsue
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:01:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Here's the new addition to my family.

Honda F4i
View Quote

Beautiful.  Rolling art...
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#7]
take a BMW for a ride... only problem with them is $$$$$$$$$  [>(]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
A few random thoughts, some of which are my opinion only:

Think about the type of riding you want to be doing, that will help dictate the style bike you get.  If you plan on taking longish (300+ mile) day trips it'll make a difference on your comfort level during and at the end of the day because of the different seating positions.

You tend to lean forward more on a sport bike which IMO feels better for more aggressive driving but you're also putting more weight on your wrists which may be uncomfortable during a long ride.  You tend to sit up more straight on a cruiser.

Especially if you're looking at a Japanese bike look for a good used one a few years old, if you look you can often get a really good deal; they tend to depreciate more than Harleys.

If you plan on riding with your wife get a bike with at least 800CC.

Whatever you get, if you choose to wear a helmet make sure you get Snell-95 rated ones.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Someone asked how old I was.  I am 36

patsue
View Quote

Be careful man.  Even though you rode a mc years ago, take it easy - take the MSF course.  I wouldn't take a passenger righ away either.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#10]
As the friendly AR15.com board Harley Davidson Finance Manager I believe I can help!!  

What do you want to spend?
How are you going to ride it?
Solo or with a passenger?
Long or short distance?

Yes I am partial to HD but you may not be best served by one, as hard for me to believe as that sounds[;)].  Seriously you need to decide what you need and not just buy something because it is "cool". I prefer the HD because I am too big for the jap bikes. I ride a 2002 Road Glide with just shy of 100HP and torque. It is a big bike, good for touring and riding two up. It will smoke many of the other jap bikes and is about 6 months away from a 50HP NOX kit!!

Resale is another thing to consider. You will not be able to find anything that hold value better than a HD, not jap italian or german. All the others drop value very quickly, pick up a copy of the Cylce trader and you will see that. Many used HD will sell for damn near what a new one costs. Reason for this is usually the accessories and enhancements made by the last owner. If you like the extras on a used HD you will save big $$$ by not having to add them yourself.

If you have any questions on the value a bike you may want to buy let me know and I can tell you what you should pay for it.

Good luck!

[beer]

Rubberside down and between the lines!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#11]
i just bougt a yamaha v star classic, it is a nice ride for the price, do have a look at them at the shop or take a look at there website, yamaha.com
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#12]
At 36 & taking the wife, I'd definately say a V-twin cruiser. As mentioned before, a shaft drive will give you very little trouble. Harleys belt drive is also a good bet. If you can afford it, the Harley is the only way to go. They WILL hold their value. The jap equivilents will give you fine service at the expense of resale value. In the end, you need to determine what your budget will stand. Heck you can even get a used Sportster fairly reasonably.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy some kind of cruiser style
Buy Used

I'm selling my Katana after five years of use. Great for commuting (48-50 mpg), but hell on long trips (Long = anything over 25 minutes)

If you buy new, the darned thing drops a good third in value the very minute you roll out the showroom.
If you buy used, get one with a good service record and known for dependability and then keep the difference of your hard-earned cash in the bank! (or get another AR!)
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a Harley... If you want to get on a waiting list and pay too much.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:31:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Cycle World compiles the best street bikes in the current issue, check it out.

Oh, and take the MSF course. It not only will teach you safe handling skills but will also lower your insurance and you won't have to take the test for your license in most states. It's a two day course and it's worth every minute.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Get a Harley... If you want to get on a waiting list and pay too much.
View Quote

Now that sounds an educated response.  I dont know where bunghole is but in Atlanta you dont wait long on a new one, and you get what you pay for. Also you get what you paid for it years later as well!  As one of the top 10 dealers in the country I am probably a little more qualified on this subject.

[beer]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm very happy with my Suzuki. 2001 LC1500 Intruder.

[img]http://home.austin.rr.com/patwarren/moozuki.jpg[/img]

Cost half as much as a Harley and it's twice as dependable. Looks better too but that only an opinion.

Stay comfortable. Avoid the crotchrockets if you're gonna be using it to ferry you and your wife for long hauls.

If you want to find out more about the Volusia(which is an excellent mc btw) check out this site [url]http://www.intruderalert.com/[/url].
It contains very usefull info on all of Suzukis cruisers.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I dont know where bunghole is but in Atlanta you dont wait long on a new one, and you get what you pay for. Also you get what you paid for it years later as well!  As one of the top 10 dealers in the country I am probably a little more qualified on this subject.

[beer]
View Quote

Tell it man. I have 3. My 77 FLH cost about $3000 new. It's worth $8000 or better now. The wife's 93 1200 sporty, paid $3700 (stole it) is probably worth $6000 or better. 97 Road King. About $13000 new, $15000 or so now. And neither bike has given me any trouble. The old shovel needs some attention now & agin, but the others are bullet proof. That said, buy what you can afford, enjoy it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Now that sounds an educated response.  I dont know where bunghole is but in Atlanta you dont wait long on a new one, and you get what you pay for. Also you get what you paid for it years later as well!  As one of the top 10 dealers in the country I am probably a little more qualified on this subject.

View Quote

Well, I don't know about your dealership but my experience is from dealing from the ones in my area. I went to 3 dealerships and all of the bikes that I looked at were priced $3000, or more, higher than the MSRP listed at H-D's websight. A V-Rod at one of the dealers was priced at $32,000. Every dealer also told me that I would have to get on a list for a bike. I don't know if that was for every model, though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#20]
I wanted my first new bike to be a good sportbike, but more middle of the road in terms of useability.  After a lot off research, I bought a new 2000 Suzuki SV650.  They have a cult following that is amazing.  Almost 70HP at the wheel, less than 400 lbs, 90 deg. 8 valve liquid cooled V twin, very rigid aluminum trellis frame, decent progressive suspension, GREAT brakes, tires, and handling, for $5800 brand new!

It is a great versatile all around bike for sport riding, commuting, whatever.  0-60 goes by in about 4 seconds, and 1st and 2nd gear wheelies are no clutch affairs.  And after having it for two years, I already owe less on it than it is worth.  If somebody can host for me, email me at kill(insert@)internetwis.(insert com).  I'll email you a pic to post.  They are really cool bikes.

That said, I am also in the market for a new Harley Sportster 883 in black with a backrest and pillion, floorboards, and classic windshield.  If you want a cruiser, the Harley is a great bike and has an aura you can feel when you are riding it.  Highland, I am emailing you.

Edited for speeling
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the quick responses!

What I am looking for is something used in very good condition or new in the price of around 3000-3500 bucks.

I said I wanted it to ride with my wife but probably 90% of the time it will just be me.

It will be ridden for fun and short cruises, no cross country or very rarely.  Just a nice evening ride to releave stress and chill out.

I really like the price and looks of the Suzuki Savage 650 or the smaller GZ250.  The bigger bikes are just out of my price range for a hobby.

So there it is for some clarification.

Thanks for all the imput.

patsue

Link Posted: 6/26/2002 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Harley resale value debunked

Purchased a 98 HD new for $18,000 added about $3,000 to it just sold it for $14,500. Holding value??
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the quick responses!

What I am looking for is something used in very good condition or new in the price of around 3000-3500 bucks.

patsue

View Quote

Shit man, you shoulda said so before. Your choices have been really pared down. Get nothing smaller that 650. You will be riding a jap cruiser.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Harley resale value debunked

Purchased a 98 HD new for $18,000 added about $3,000 to it just sold it for $14,500. Holding value??
View Quote

Or possibly owner revealed as a poor seller / negotiator? Maybe accesories not wanted by the average guy. Poor maintenance. Wrecked etc... all posibilities. Also model purchased is a factor. Now compare what would have happened to a comparable japanese scoot & get back to us.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:03:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a guy ride into my shop with a Suzuki V-Twin. Don't remember the model. He instantly started spouting off how much better his bike was than a Harley and how Harleys are pieces of junk compared to his bike. Yet he had spared no expense to make his bike resemble on of "those piece of junk Harleys" He wanted me to mount the front turn signals on the bars so it "would be just like a stock Harley." Go figure!

Best advice is to shop around for what you can afford. If you have any friends with bikes, maybe they would let you try their bikes before you actualy make a purchase. Good luck and ride safe.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, I don't know about your dealership but my experience is from dealing from the ones in my area. I went to 3 dealerships and all of the bikes that I looked at were priced $3000, or more, higher than the MSRP listed at H-D's websight. A V-Rod at one of the dealers was priced at $32,000. Every dealer also told me that I would have to get on a list for a bike. I don't know if that was for every model, though.
View Quote

Bunghole, You have been talking to what I like to call, "Motorcycle Whores". I should know, sadly, I am employed by some. Not ALL Harley dealers are like that though.
AB
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 8:58:54 PM EDT
[#27]
After doing some research, I think that 3000 to 3500 isn't going to get me what I want.  So I guess that I will go as high as 4500.  Hopefully that will give me some more options.
Man, all over the internet on this one. lots to learn.
patsue
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:06:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I'll chime in to add that if you are not going to buy a Harley, buying a nice used bike in the price range you are talking about is the second best way to avoid depreciation costs.

For $4500-5000 you should be able to find decent examples of several bike styles.  Older rice rockets, mid size cruisers and standards that will all have already taken the biggest depreication hit.  At the high end you may even be able to find a decent HD Sportster if you like the idea of a Harley.

As others have said, you really need to consider what type of riding is going to appeal to you.  If it's primarily going to be a commuter, I'd stick with a cruiser or standard, but if you have a big streak of "boy racer" in you an older 600 sport bike may be the ticket.

Good luck with your education in the art of two wheelin' and I hope you find a suitable steed soonest.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:46:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Since you have some dirt bike experience in your youth, you might want to consider a dual sport bike which is both an on and off road bike. Dual sporting is becoming very popular and the bikes are much better than ever.

I just got back into riding after a 25 year break. I picked up a new Suzuki DRZ400S, (400cc)which is relatively light, very agile, street legal. It is faster than any stock cruiser made and many crotch rocket street bikes. Mine will easily cruise at 75-80 mph and get there really fast. It is not real comfortable for long rides but it will go just about anywhere.  

Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha and Honda all make Dual sporters from the 200cc-650cc range. The 650 cc bikes are very popular for commuting and adventure riding which is mostly back roading. They are a bit heavy for pure off roading but are still used by many for that purpose. New prices are in the $5-6,000 range and used bikes in very good condition can often be found in the $3-4,000 range.

Because they are dirt bike looking machines, you don't get accused of having a Harly wanna-be.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Ever look at a standard?  Like a Honda NightHawk 750.  In my opinion, an torquey (NH 750 is tuned for torque) inline four is far better than a V Twin.  These are nice no frills bikes, and a fairly new one is well within your price range.

Link Posted: 6/27/2002 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ever look at a standard?  Like a Honda NightHawk 750.  In my opinion, an torquey (NH 750 is tuned for torque) inline four is far better than a V Twin.  These are nice no frills bikes, and a fairly new one is well within your price range.

View Quote

Sound advice. Fast, nimble, smooth. All around good choice. I had a Yamaha Maxim years ago that was similar to this. Rode the heck out of it & had zero problems to speak of. I didn't know they even still made an inline 4.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I think they ran all the way through 2001.  They can probably still easily be found.  Honda continued producing the NightHawk years after similar products were dropped in competitors lines.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top