BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2002 2:37:52 PM EDT
...What You Get "

By Aaron Zelman and Claire Wolfe
Published 06. 22. 02 at 16:40 Sierra Time  

Who made the following statements?
1. "The broad principle that there is an individual right to bear arms is shared by many Americans, including myself. I'm of the view that you can't take a broad approach to other rights, such as First Amendment rights, and then interpret the Second Amendment so narrowly that it could fit in a thimble. But I'm also of the view that there are limits on those rights. Just as you can't falsely shout fire in a crowded movie theater, you can put restrictions on who can own guns and how, when, and where they may be possessed."

___ Attorney General John Ashcroft
___ Solicitor General Theodore Olson
___ President George W. Bush
___ Sen. Charles Schumer

2. "While some have argued that the Second Amendment guarantees only a 'collective' right of the States to maintain militias, I believe the Amendment's plain meaning and original intent prove otherwise. Like the First and Fourth Amendments, the Second Amendment protects the rights of 'the people,' which the Supreme Court has noted is a term of art that should be interpreted consistently throughout the Bill of Rights. ... Of course, the individual rights view of the Second Amendment does not prohibit Congress from enacting laws restricting firearms ownership for compelling state interests ... just as the First Amendment does not prohibit [government from legislating against] shouting 'fire' in a crowded movie theater. "

___ Sen. Dianne Feinstein
___ NRA President Charlton Heston
___ Attorney General John Ashcroft
___ President George W. Bush

Hard to tell, isn't it?

... continued here [url]http://www.sierratimes.com/02/06/22/arjpfo062202.htm[/url]

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top