Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 2:09:03 PM EDT
Shooter's Guide, anyone else remember these?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember mel Tappans monthly column in Guns and Ammo. Loved to read them. Anyone have a source for the old colums?  fullclip
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
It was a good column...I have his book, old but the ideas are still right on'
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 3:57:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I have Mel Tappan's Survival Guns book and the online version of his other survival book.

I think the only thing that Mel missed (recall he wrote the book in the late '70's) was the enormous popularity of the AR15 series of rifles along with the accompaning improvement in reliability, parts and accessories for the rifle.  For a pure survival rifle, I believe that there is no better choice than the AR-15 for .223 type of rifles.

My .02.

Merlin
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 4:54:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got multiple copies of both of Tappan's books. His books were full of "original thought" about survivalism.  After reading his books, its easy to see how many other survival authors merely copied what he said, or said the same thing but substituted different weapons. I think his books are mandatory reading--if you want to be a true survivalist.  He truly is the Godfather of the survival movement.

I've read Howard Ruff's best selling book too.  He again had some of the spotlight prior to Y2K, but he is pretty much gone again.  Thing is, much of what he said in "How To Prosper During The Coming Bad Years" is still true, but nobody cares.  Back when the book was a best seller, many in the main stream believed him and followed his advice.  Now, many in the mainstream disregard him as some nut.  But thats OK, because those who forget history are doomed to repeat it . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top