Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2002 7:25:19 PM EDT
Just got off the web site of a news source from the nmiddle east.  Guess what guys.  Apparently this is the only country in the world that calls it West Nile DISEASE.  Everywhere else it's referred to by it's full name; West Nile MALERIA.  Can't help but wonder why the discision was made to not call it by what it is, and who made the discision; CDC? HEW? The news networks?

Do they think we'd run screaming in the streets if they referred to it by its' full name?

Oh well---one more example of the insulated world we Americans live in. Sleep well; UNCLE SAM is looking out for you! [;D]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If there is a danger to a large part of the population, you won't hear about it. It's a big government conspiracy to keep all of the sheepile docile and paying taxes. Why do you think we didn't hear about this meteor passing very close to us until it was 3 days past?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If there is a danger to a large part of the population, you won't hear about it...  Why do you think we didn't hear about this meteor passing very close to us until it was 3 days past?
View Quote

Cake and circuses my friend, cake and circuses...
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:45:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I see screw ups by media idiots all the time too. They call a LTC a SPC, they call a AK an M16, etc,etc,etc. In this case, West Nile virus is a VIRUS that causes a disease called West Nile disease. Malaria, a blood borne bacteriological parasitic disease, is called malaria because the first Europeans to encounter it met it along swamps where the air was bad hence mal=bad, aria=air. They didn't understand mosquito vectors or bacteria back then.  Calling West Nile malaria is either a media screw up, blatant mislabeling for what reason I don't know, or perhaps all Europeans think that mosquito borne diseases are malaria. Since I don't think European doctors are idiots, and since I can't fathom a reason for mislabeling, and since I always attribute to stupidity rather than evil intent until proven otherwise, I am going with media idiots. They don't call Dengue malaria to the best of my knowledge, so I think the black helicopters might not be behind this one guys.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#4]
full name: [b]  west nile, east of the rockies disease.[/b]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]
That is a new one on me. Can you post a link?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]
shamayim, I'd like to remind you to post a link to your source.  Posts like yours are so weird!

What does it mean that "this country. . . calls it West Nile DISEASE?"  Does it mean that your local paper calls it this?  Do you think that there is some sort of conspiracy at work?  The same conspiracy that leads you to misspell Malaria?  

Easy on the conspiracy theories, buddy.

West Nile Virus, yes.
West Nile Encephalitis, yes.

West Nile Disease?  I don't think so.
West Nile Malaria?  I don't think so.

What the devil are you talking about?  Are you writing from your tin foiled motorhome while searching for Area 54?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
shamayim, I'd like to remind you to post a link to your source.  Posts like yours are so weird!

What does it mean that "this country. . . calls it West Nile DISEASE?"  Does it mean that your local paper calls it this?  Do you think that there is some sort of conspiracy at work?  The same conspiracy that leads you to misspell Malaria?  

Easy on the conspiracy theories, buddy.

West Nile Virus, yes.
West Nile Encephalitis, yes.

West Nile Disease?  I don't think so.
West Nile Malaria?  I don't think so.

What the devil are you talking about?  Are you writing from your tin foiled motorhome while searching for Area 54?
View Quote

shamayim, never mind him. he's part of the conspiracy.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Look, this is no big deal.  West nile virus is the cause, and west nile disease is the result.  West nile malaria is  just a slang term, since malaria is caused by a microbe transmitted by mosquitos, and west nile is a virus transmitted by mosquitos, people attach the term malaria to west nile.  Incorrect, but no big deal.

Since 95% of the world knows about malaria, and that you need to kill mosquitos to stop it, you might as well call it west nile malaria so more people will understand how the disease spreads.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]
No. You need to call malaria malaria because it refers to a genus of bacterial parasite called plasmodium. To do otherwise adds confusion.

IMHO-well, it is a disease, so I dont see how calling it west nile disease is a problem.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
. . .
IMHO-well, it is a disease, so I don't see how calling it west nile disease is a problem.
View Quote

OK, that's fine.  I responded the way I did because the original issue was mislabeling or misrepresentation.  I won't have a problem if you, poikilotrm, call it "Shirley".  
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:48:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry about not posting the source for y'all to go to and see yourselves. Silly of me to think that simply reporting it would be enough.

Anyway, it was in yesterday's edition of the Jerusalem Post, and at the moment I can't get to it on the internet. Please feel free to check it out yourselves at :
 [url]wwww.jpost.com[/url]

Sure happy we have all you medical experts onsite.  See, if I hadn't posted this I'd have walked around the rest of my life thinking that the American news media was concealing things from me.  Wouldn't that have been terrible.

Well---now that that is settled, think I'll go to the kitchen and check out my tin foil supply.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top