Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/15/2011 9:32:44 AM EDT
Bring my car into the local Jiffy Lube to have it inspected. The person tells me that it will fail inspection due to a torn wiper blade and offers to change them for $26. I inform the person that I used the wipers that same day and they work, and no I am not going to pay $26 for something I can do for $10. They fail my car. I have replace the blades and will go back...but should I be pissed? Was this a scam to make them money? Am I overreacting? Here are the wiper blades, sorry I didn't have a ruler but I put a .22 cartridge for sizing:

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd be pissed but I'm in a shitty mood today so take that for what's it worth.

ETA:  You did good though.  No way in hell I would have let them fix it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Bring my car into the local Jiffy Lube to have it inspected. The person tells me that it will fail inspection due to a torn wiper blade and offers to change them for $26. I inform the person that I used the wipers that same day and they work, and no I am not going to pay $26 for something I can do for $10. They fail my car. I have replace the blades and will go back...but should I be pissed? Was this a scam to make them money?Was this a scam to make them money? Am I overreacting? Here are the wiper blades, sorry I didn't have a ruler but I put a .22 cartridge for sizing:

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#3]
i think going to jiffy lube was the first part of your problem.....
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Whose inspection form?  
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:40:31 AM EDT
[#5]

It's a scam.  And when you go back to get your sticker they'll make you wait since you didn't pony up their $26.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a legitimate fail in TX.  They can't be torn.

But you can replace your own and bring back for a reinspect at no charge.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Your first mistake was going to Jiffy Lube.

Hell yes, it was a scam to make money.

IF they'll re-inspect at no charge after you've replaced the wiper blade, then you might consider going back one last time.

Otherwise, fuck 'em.  Don't go back there again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Scam, usually they have the rack of blades behind them as they describe your transgression.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Go to a real garage for inspections, not a minimum wage oil change shop.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#10]
What did you expect? If you ever get an oil change there (I do my own, but my GF likes Jiffy Lube...) they take out your air filter and show you how dirty it is and ask if you want it replaced.

I walked back with her and she looked over at me and I said, "On no, a filthy air filter! Looks like it is doing it's job. "
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:42:28 AM EDT
[#11]
WTF is an inspection for?
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#12]
State inspection = government sanctioned racket
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Why do you care that you failed a Jiffy Lube inspection?  

Who gives a fuck what they think?
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:43:25 AM EDT
[#14]
1) Install new inserts.
2) Return for re-inspection.
3) Remove new inserts.
4) Install old inserts.
5) Replace old inserts when they actually wear out.

There is a government check list that says inserts must not be torn. Your blades are (very slightly) torn, they are afraid of losing their government license to inspect vehicles and have the added incentive of getting rich selling overpriced wiper blades.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#15]
What are these car inspections you people keep talking about?
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#16]
ROFLPACOLYPSE!!!  WUT?!?!  

You "failed" the Jiffy Lube Certification test?!?!

ROFL!!  Who gives a FUCK?!  I would have laughed myself out the door!!

"BE ADVISED, SIR, THIS IS GOING ON YOUR PERMANENT RECORD!"

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I always change my own oil, but if I was going to have it done, I would damned sure take a look at the wiper blades and change them out myself before going.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#18]
to hell with an inspection, sounds like the whole thing is bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

HELL NO.  

Oil change places will only fuck you for little shit like this.  There's no use in them telling you you're muffler bearings are bad because they don't do muffler bearings.

The real garage will make sure they take a significantly larger amount of your money.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Move to a free state, where they allow adults to determine when they need new wiper blades. Do they put a state employee in your car to make sure you turn them on when it rains? What's the state guideline on allowable drops per square foot before you are required to turn them on?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hell, even Oregon doesn't require that kind of crap!
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It was a state safety inspection, you must pass to drive that car.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

^This!  Hell, I'm in CA and have no idea what you all are talking about.  We've got smog tests, but that's it.

How do these things work, who does them, how often, what if you don't...?
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:48:18 AM EDT
[#24]
wtf, I'd be pissed and demand a manager and explain that I understand that its a scam and that if they want to sell me blades for $10 and just hand them to me like I would at Walmart....I'll accept that, but I'm not paying 2.5x more for some douche to lift an arm and slide the blade off.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#25]
They are counting on people's laziness and desire to GTFO of the waiting room as quickly as they can.

Chain places like that are the absolute worst place to go for state inspections they look for ANY damn thing to pump quarters out of your ass.

I should know, I used to manage an NTB We charged $2 per wiper blade for labor, plus our inflated cost of blades.

Find a decent local mechanic who is certified and be done with that nonsense.
Speed

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

HELL NO.  

Oil change places will only fuck you for little shit like this.  There's no use in them telling you you're muffler bearings are bad because they don't do muffler bearings.

The real garage will make sure they take a significantly larger amount of your money.

My local garage charges more than retard-lube for inspections. They make their money by charging your for labor and not trying to scam quick repair money out of you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#27]
only one option...move from that state
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah, I see.  Sounds wonderful.  

In that case, I would avoid having the inspection done by anyone that has a pecuniary interest in your failing said test.

ETA:  Can't you have the state police do the inspection?  Over here in Ohio, if you want or need a safety inspection of a vehicle for whatever reason, you just head over to the BMV and have the state troopers inspect it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:52:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Bring my car into the local Jiffy Lube to have it inspected. The person tells me that it will fail inspection due to a torn wiper blade and offers to change them for $26. I inform the person that I used the wipers that same day and they work, and no I am not going to pay $26 for something I can do for $10. They fail my car. I have replace the blades and will go back...but should I be pissed? Was this a scam to make them money? Am I overreacting? Here are the wiper blades, sorry I didn't have a ruler but I put a .22 cartridge for sizing:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/Intervivos/Public/100_0722.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/Intervivos/Public/100_0721.jpg

You wouldn't have this problem if you lived in a free state
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Jiffy lube almost cost me a transmission once, the guy said it was time for a new trans. filter and it was because I knew the schedule so I said ok. Then the guy comes back after a few minutes and says they can't do it because they don't have a gasket for my truck. What I didn't know was that he already broke the seal on the old gasket and I only found out the next day when there was trans. fluid all over my garage floor. Never again.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#31]
They're just trying to help!

Fact is, if they sleaze you off on shit, they  can get jacked and lose their auth to do inspections.   Quit Whining. Try superglue.  Yes, wipers cost more than any reasonable person would expect.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#32]
For those who do not know what an "inspection" is because you live in free states, here in MA the state inspects your car every year and gives you a sticker. No sticker=ticket. Service shops are certified by the state to conduct the inspection. This was not the courtesy inspection that some service garages offer.

I do most service myself and usually use a local independent garage for inspections but he was swamped and I needed the inspection right away.

I am glad you guys agree this is bullshit...at least i feel a little better.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:53:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This.

First, look up what must be inspected by your States vehicle code. make sure it will pass. Don't wait for the shop to fail it...
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Super glue it back.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AHAHAH!  WHAT?!?!?!

A "state safety inspection" performed by....A JIFFY LUBE?!?!

Nah, no conflict of interest THERE!

What a fucking racket.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Is the wiper blade torn?  Yes.  Does the state specify how torn it should be?  No.  Its gotta replaced.  Advance will sometimes install them for free.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#37]
haha your state sucks, mine has no vehicle inspection, you shouldn't be pissed @ jiffy lube, you should be pissed at yourself for living in such a shitty state
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/Intervivos/Public/100_0722.jpg
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii297/Intervivos/Public/100_0721.jpg

You wouldn't have this problem if you lived in a free state

Yeah really, just uproot your family, change your job, sell your property, say goodbye to your friends, forget all your commitments in life and move to a place where you can have collapsible stocks on your AR-15 and can change your wiper blades whenever you want, sticker be damned.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
For those who do not know what an "inspection" is because you live in free states, here in MA the state inspects your car every year and gives you a sticker. No sticker=ticket. Service shops are certified by the state to conduct the inspection. This was not the courtesy inspection that some service garages offer.

I do most service myself and usually use a local independent garage for inspections but he was swamped and I needed the inspection right away.

I am glad you guys agree this is bullshit...at least i feel a little better.

wow, that's fucked up.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I also learned this the hard way.

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Shit, the local hole in the wall here just plugged my car in to the OBD-II scanner and sent me on my way. They didn't say a damn thing about my dark ass tinted windows either
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#42]
(d) Windshield Wiper(s). Test for proper operation. If the vehicle was equipped with two wipers, as furnished by the manufacturer, both must be maintained in good working order. Wiper blades must properly contact the windshield and, be of the same length as those furnished as original equipment. The rubber elements shall be free from damage or tears.

Is the rubber element free from damage or tears?

Yes your overreacting, they are just doing the inspection that the state requires. If you don't like it move out of Mass.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 10:01:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Splain to the non-Jiffly Lube inspection states.  WTF is this?  Why can't you have a torn wiper?
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#44]
That wiper does fail inspection , and since they already failed u I think reinspection is another $10 total
If the windshield has streak marks after 2 full wiper rotations I believe it will fail
Stupid rules
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HELL NO.  

My local garage charges more than retard-lube for inspections. They make their money by charging your for labor and not trying to scam quick repair money out of you.

In VA the maximum charge by law is $15.  So obviously the shop is going to have to do a little fucking to make their money.  If they could charge whatever they wanted I'd go to a real shop, but unfortunately idiot lube isn't licensed to do state inspections.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What did you expect? If you ever get an oil change there (I do my own, but my GF likes Jiffy Lube...) they take out your air filter and show you how dirty it is and ask if you want it replaced.

I walked back with her and she looked over at me and I said, "On no, a filthy air filter! Looks like it is doing it's job. "

I only went once and said "oil change only".  A few minutes later three dipshits came into the waiting room, one had my trans dipstick telling me my fluid smelled burned, one had my pcv and said it was dirty, and one had my air cleaner. I told them to put it back.  Then they pumped in 10W30 when I specified 5w20, not to mention that is clearly written on the oil fill cap.  

The only reason I went in was I didn't have time to go to the dealer.  Now I make time.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#47]
I wouldn't give Jiffy Lube 25 cents to scrape the sticker off my car let alone inspect my car.  They've been busted multiple times scamming people for hundreds of dollars worth of services that they didnt' do, simple shit like changing an oil filter or even the oil itself, or tried to pass off as a manufacture recommeneded service such as an engien flush

Go to Youtube and watch some of the undercover videos.  Someone who claims to be on the inside said that even after the cat was out of the bag the remedial "training" consisted of how to spot undercover news folks who were out to get them.  

I usually go to a small independant shop and they are more apt to overlook small shit like your wiper blade problem or just not care as long as the wipers work.  I'm in Texas though and my home of record address is in a county that doesn't do the more expensive (3 times as expensive ) emission testing.
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 10:05:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Jiffy Lube or not, if the state regulation says no torn blades and yours was torn, then it failed. Simple as that.

Why be pissed at them for following state requirements?

Link Posted: 12/15/2011 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#49]
FL no longer has inspections...
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#50]
They can't be torn so even though they function properly it fails the inspection.

Jiffy lube was trying to get some money out of you.  They assumed the hassle in returning would make you want to pay the money to let them replace the blade.

This is why I carry a full set of wiper blades in my vehicle.  I've had my wiper blades fail then they offered to replace them.  I told them no thanks, then I grabbed my own blades and put them on.  The look on the manager's face was priceless.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top