Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2002 12:16:43 PM EDT
for being prepared for the worst possible senario.

Occasionaly I have friend that come over and I show them my small collection of black rifles.
They ask why do you have so many guns and ammo and asst misc SHTF equip. I tell them I like to be prepared and not have to rely on others.
This hit hardest after the LA riots and confirm that the authorities can not protect myself and loved ones all the time.

They roll their eyes and say i'm crazy but I think these are going to be the first one at my door if something big happens.

Am I crazy???????
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know.  I don't have any non gun owning friends...hell, why would I??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Sgtar15
View Quote

Ditto, Sarge!!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I am with sgtar15.  The only friends I have that don't own guns are in that condition because of economic reasons, not political ones.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Sgtar15
View Quote

i dont have any either.  well except a few to hold up the targets for me! [BD]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#8]
[peep]What's a "friend"??
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a buddy that was not so hot about me having guns, but he's a country boy, and has shot before, but mostly in a hunting situation.  Well,he's at my place, and I let him check out my Beretta (when I had one).  He says cool, and when I go to put it back in my nightstand, I insert the obviously loaded magazine.  He looks at me and asks if I'm scared or something.  I don't say a word and walk to my kitchen pantry and pull out my fire extinguisher.  He simply says 'point taken'

I've taken him to the range since then.  Let him shoot my .22 rifle and my AR, along with my .22 pistol and my .45.  He had fun.  Don't know if I'll turn him into a gun nut, but he's slowly coming around!  :)

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Friends that don't own guns, don't see mine.
View Quote

words to live by.... !
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
Guns? What guns ...I don't have any guns! Oh , you mean my .22......Yeah I keep it in that safe with my old family photos! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes. They give the typical comments:

"you're not gonna freak out and kill people are you?"

Or:

"You're gonna shoot your eye out with that one day"

I don't hangout with them much anymore.....
[:D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#13]
If you don't have a gun and aren't prepared to defend the freedom we hold dear, then you are no friend of mine.  (Unless you are a really hot chick).
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#14]
my non gun owning friends think i will be shot or killed at bulletfest.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#15]
My sister was a liberal democrat, she is now a middle of the road Democrat. After 911 and when I took my nephew out to shoot, she has no problems with guns.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#17]
It's really funny. I offered to take them shooting before. One agreed. So, before we went to
the range, I brought my rifles in to show him how they operate and when I unzipped the
bags and he saw they were AR-15s he about shit himself!
His eyes got big, asked me if those were legal to have. He tried to back out, but I talked him
into it. He didn't like it much, said he would rather have a pistol if he ever got a gun.
Oh well........
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree 100%.  Word spreads too fast and sometimes to the wrong people, especially when someone sees something they don't understand like 'assault' weapons.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#19]

I am crazy.

But, since I haven't "been adjucated mentally defective (which includes having been adjucated incompetent to manage your own affairs) and haven't been committed to a mental institution" they just let me keep buying them!

:)
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am with sgtar15.  The only friends I have that don't own guns are in that condition because of economic reasons, not political ones.
View Quote

Sigh, I have alot of non-gun owning friends, but believe me, I'm trying to change that (in the good way).

-legrue

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Its really bad when someone who "knows" you say that just because you own AR's and AK's that you just "want to kill people".

I dont understand how its OK to have one AR, but if you have mulitple rifles of similiar type that you just want to kill people. Like what would you do, grow mulitple arms and use them all at once...Jeesh....even with one in each hand would be difficult to use well.

Whats worse are fellow gun owners who only think you should have hunting weapons and that military style firearms are a danger. These people just dont get it and annoy me far more then the regular anti crowd.

"The right to keep and bear 'sporting' arms, shall not be infringed by those militia wierdos"

[:E]

lib

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#23]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't know. I don't have any non gun owning friends...hell, why would I??

Sgtar15

Same here, I can honestly say everyone I know either has guns or don't care if you have them or not, there are some people I know that don't have a gun but they are interested in getting one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sfoo and I have a non-gun owner friend who's of the opinion that people should only be allowed to own one gun.  WTF?  We've had many long debates with him over the years with little headway.  A registered Democrat too, which explains a lot.

However, we've gotten him out shooting on one occasion;  shot some Glocks, 1911s, AR, Garand and probably some other stuff as well.

Then there are our friends that we think are crazy (but good, fun crazy).  "I can't operate equipment that doesn't have a selector switch."  And sticking his CRKT tactical folder into the table at Macaroni Grill in Reno was a nice touch.  [:D]
View Quote
    ." And sticking his CRKT tactical folder into the table at Macaroni Grill in Reno was a nice touch.    Tanto or Round point....inquiring mind just wants to know... besides 1* right? [:D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
(SNIP)
Occasionaly I have friend that come over and I show them my small collection of black rifles.
They ask why do you have so many guns and ammo and asst misc SHTF equip. I tell them I like to be prepared and not have to rely on others.
(SNIP)
They roll their eyes and say i'm crazy but I think these are going to be the first one at my door if something big happens.
View Quote

I have a few friends that are privvy to my cache. Most of them snicker, but they've told me in confidence that if a SHTF scenario does materialize, they hope I'm around.

As for non-gun liking friends: I find that if a person really really hates guns, they don't want to be my friend and I could care less. I have a few non gun owning friends who are simply afraid of guns like some people are afraid of motorcycles or flying. Very few I've taken shooting have not had fun. If we shunned everyone who had an opposing view or dislike for something we like, we would be an awfully lonely species.

It's a matter of respect. I respect guns amd I respect non gunwoners who respect me just like I respect Macintosh owners who respect me for owning 7 PCs or vegetarians.(I respect vegetarians who don't insist on converting me, I didn't want to imply that own vegetarians--well, rabbits when I was a kid....)
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I wouldn't say "crazy", more like "intense" or maybe even "obsessed". The thing is, I've found that education about and exposure to guns seems to "bring them around". Hell, it worked with my brother and he was VIRULENTLY anti gun. He now owns my old .45ACP(BTW, he thought the AR was REALLY cool, and loved my .50cal frontstuffer)I think they're just afraid of them or embarrassed to admit their fright and ignorance. Sometimes ya just gotta work with 'em.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#27]
The three non-gun-owning friends of mine that do know I have a small little collection kinda wigged-out when they saw the collection.  Which lasted until they could talk, and they asked how soon we could go shooting :-)

FOTBR
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

words to live by.... !
View Quote

So true.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:36:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I had one, he is now shopping around for an AK.

Kyle
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:39:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Whenever guns are mentioned in a public forum I tell people guns are, among other things, fun.  They are not for everyone, but they are fun.  The news doesn't tell them that.

I'm proud to have corrupt...I mean to have converted many people.  Here on Long Island, NY it's easier than you think.  Keep and Spread the Faith!
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#31]
If they do, they know where the door is.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a friend whose the daughter of one of the local communist... err I mean democrat commitee people who thinks it's somehow crazy for someone to spend the money and time to get a handgun and get lethal with it (my idea of personal defensive training) when someone's unlikely to be attacked, but somehow completely sane to spend a much greater amount of time/money on various unarmed combat styles (her idea). Well she seems more or less sane since she got over the shock of finding out I have an AR (are those [i]things[/i] legal?). Besides, i think she's just ignorant of guns and i might be able to get her up to the range soon. btw, before someone tells me about opsec and keepin a low profile, she's practically family its not like she or her family would raise hell over this
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Most of my friends are cops so, many of them have more guns than I do. My Mom and dad, and my sister think I am very crazy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#34]
All my friends think i'm crazy, does that count?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good for most situations, but then how do you find out if your new friends own guns?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Loose lips get you robbed.
Volunteer nothing, deny everything, always be ready for the unexpected and sit with your back to the wall. [:E]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:37:30 PM EDT
[#38]
My friends all like the concept of guns, but are too cheap or too poor (Most of them are just getting out of high school) to have guns of thier own (Heck I'm still saving up for my first).

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#40]
My mother worries about me.*

My father and two brothers think it's cool.

My friends who are avid shooters know what the deal is; no worries.

For the most part, my friends who are not avid shooters do not even know I own firearms.

* She's afraid of evil black guns, but she isn't bothered by my shotguns and bolt guns because that's what her dad kept on the farm back in Iowa in the 1930's.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#41]
I don't know who locked this, or why. Carry on gentlemen.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#43]
I wont have a "non gun" interested friend.
Isn't part of being a friend, having some of the same interests ?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Showed my evil black rifle to a very anti-gun friend in from out-of-town. I didn't change his mind, nor did I expect to, but I found this interesting.

When we were talking about defending our families, (he has a 9 yr old daughter) and how far we would go, I said I would easily blow away anyone who threatened anyone in his family. I then asked him if that would bother him. You could see the conflicting philosophies cross his face for a second, then he said, "No".

-legrue
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Question, do you think it's a little "over the top" to head out squirrel shooting dressed up like a mall ninja?

[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/squirrelgun2.jpg[/img]

This was actually a picture taken yesterday as a joke for some other forums I frequent.   I put on all my "tactical-fag" gear and posed with my squirrel rifle just for the hell of it.   NFS-Jojo, where are you, we need your pics :)

Most of my friends who aren't huge gun nuts are able to understand how a person could enjoy the sport/hobby, lord knows I've explained the unique pleasures of shooting AR15s to them about a hundred times and how versatile the platform is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top