Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2002 8:22:07 AM EDT
What does this mean: "Noise- The flash hider, when firing Government standard service ammunition shall not exceed the following formula for impulse noise (reference curve X, Figure 4-1, MIL-STD- 1474). The peak sound pressure level is defined as: PPLX = 160.5 + 6.64 log 10200 for T 200, where PPLX = peak sound pressure level in dB and T = B-duration, in msec." Anyone know whether or not this formula equals a sound level low enough to make the "flash hider" a "sound suppressor"? Thanx, Steve
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 9:22:38 AM EDT
Something makes me think that this is talking about limits in an increase rather than a decrease in noise. I have heard that a decrease in over 2db is the threshold for declaring something a suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 9:33:33 AM EDT
Exactly right. They're not wanting a muzzle-brake type effect. The legal definition of a suppressor AFAIK is anything that reduces the SPL 3dB. Or any device that claimed to be a suppressor IS a suppressor for purposes of prosecution even if it actually increases the SPL. If you have a specific problem/case in mind, email me and I can at least get you pointed in the right direction. QS
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:18:09 PM EDT
QS, Thanx, you got mail.
Top Top