Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 5:59:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
These threads make the dopers cry.

They make many of us non-dopers cry too. Mostly over the wasted money, man power and liberty it takes to make not one small dent in drug consumption in the US.

+1.

And another +1
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Even less work: Leave people to their own devices.

What are you, some kinda Commie hippy?  People have to be told what's good for them... that's freedom, you anti-American lefty!
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 6:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whatever happened to inconspicuous? Marijuana glows an emerald green from the air. Even 20 or 30 plants in a plot can be seen easily by an experienced eye. Yet these morons decided to plant 362,000 plants in one area? LMAO! You could see that from space! The only thing about this story that amazes me is the fact it wasn't located until mid-October. There must not be much in the way of aerial anti-drug operations in that area.

There are no air operations in the area, unless you count a life flight that gets called in from elsewhere in the state.

I grew up in the area, and the options were limited in regards to a livelihood. Your family farms, you work at Goodyear or MTD, UTM, and Tyson. Everything else, such as fast food or the mom-n-pop restaurants, pay minimum wage. Due to the college being in Martin the cost of living is higher than it really should be. Now Goodyear is going away, and MTD has been a crap shoot for years now. Many turn to drugs to cope. Meth was huge, prescription pills are bigger. Pot was always there, and it always will be.

Its a strange place to live, so many things are stuck in the past and at times it seems like life is passing them by. There are lots of decent and honest people, that cling to their values when the rest of the country is circling the drain. And there are also lots of scum, same as any other place. Tyson brought in a lot of Mexicans, straight up illegals, to work in the plant when it opened. They brought some problems along with them, MS13 and BP for instance, that the area would have been without otherwise. But I won't get into that.

I am not defending a giant grow operation. But when you are poor, the job you counted on to survive disappears, and you cannot afford to move any place else then it is not surprising to see something like this popping up.

Fair if depressing valuation of the area. It's an excellent area to raise a family.  

Employment is limited around here.  A largely unskilled laborforce that depended on textiles (late 70's-early 90s) and general manufacturing for a livelihood.  That livelihood is going away.

"Stuck in the past" is largely due to an aging population and a political system rife with "good ol boy" mentality.  The area is excellent for retirees due to low cost of land. low taxes, recreational lakes, and decent access to medical care...But, retirees on fixed incomes can't support an entire region.

UTM graduates leave post graduation.  Nothing here to retain them.

The Mexican illegal situation is being handled rather well.  They recently busted Williams Sausage who had to pay $60k+ in fines.  Tyson cleaned up their act due to INS actions too.  

Ultimately, this area has been and will continue to be an ag-based economy.  Good, flat, nutrient-rich soil at rock bottom prices.  A week ago I was telling my wife that when/if Marijuana was legalized, the NWTN region would be poised to be a major grower.
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#4]
WOW!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

These threads make the dopers cry.

They make many of us non-dopers cry too. Mostly over the wasted money, man power and liberty it takes to make not one small dent in drug consumption in the US.

+1.

And another +1

I've seen on tv when they do these kinds of raids.  Alphabet soup puts it mildly.  Natl guard is sometimes involved too.  Goofy.

Link Posted: 10/14/2011 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do they know the plants would produce that much?

It works out to roughly $1200 valuation per plant. Let's put the average yield per plant around 1 pound. 1lb of marijuana has a street value around $2500-4500 depending on quality and level of purchase.  

So yeah, that number isn't just pulled out of thin air, it is actually rather conservative.

ETA: Grammar

Not quite - I know a local guy that's been growing for over 20 years and have discussed this with him before. A mature plant 8' - 10' tall might produce 1 or 2 ounces, not pounds of saleable pot after it's dried - the leaf stuff he can't give away !! He sells the ounces for anywhere from $100 - $200, depending upon the quality of that particular plant. It has to be an exceptional plant to bring the $200 price. The male plants are totally worthless. The PDs & media always hype that shit up drastically for whatever reasons they might have at the time.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top