BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:53:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How do you do that?  I could open a new window, but not a link in a new window.  What kind of crazy key combo do you use?  Ctrl + N?
View Quote

Command-Click. Of course you have to be using OmniWeb on Mac OS X. None of that Netscape or IE crap.

Apple has a silly recruitment commercial out with some geek in it.  Did you see it?
View Quote

Have seen it yet, but from what I hear its a good start. It is for the people who want to get things done, the unwashed masses if you will. It isn't directed toward tinkerers or zealots.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:55:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
- Easy to Use
View Quote
This is a myth, or at least a matter of individual opinion.  I personally find any standard windows operating system much more intuitive than mac.  It seems mac was designed by a bunch of artsy people whereas PCs were designed by engineers and people looking for maximum capability.  The mac folks spent so much time trying to make their interface idiot-friendly (and they succeeded, just like AOL) that it became illogical and often disfunctional.
View Quote

Windows is easy to use?!?! Talk about Mac zealots.
Windows is getting better, but it is still not easy to use.
The Mac GUI is very logical, at least compared to Windows. It is intuitive and user friendly, unlike windows.

- Better Software
View Quote
I don't see how you can honestly think that.  PC software is simply better.  Maybe it's because large companies spend so much more money and time on PC stuff since that is where the money is.  You also ignore the fact that many things come out months or years later for macs.
I say that because I have used both PC software and Mac software.
In the Mac world, we are very picky about easy to use software. The GUI must fit in with the rest of the Mac GUI. If it is not easy to use, the software does poorly. Mac software is better because it comes from an already easy to use system, and because people demand quality, the software companies give it, mostly.

- Reliable
View Quote
You sound like you don't use PCs very often.  Have you ever tried Win2k?  It doesn't crash.  It's actually much more stable than even my linux box.
View Quote

I use PCs all the time. In fact, I am a tech support person at my college.
We don't use Windows 2000 yet, because it breaks so much. Let me tell you, 98 is not fun at all.

- Total Cost of Ownership is lower
View Quote
Woa, where did you come up with that!?  Even mac zealots admit that macs cost a lot more and upgrades are more limited.  For half the cost of a top of the line mac I can make a twice as useful PC.
View Quote

See the link I post below.
As for half the cost and getting twice as useful, its more like half the cost and twice the pain.

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 12:56:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes they are more expensive, but then you get what you pay for. Cheaper does not equal better, and it usually equals worse.
Plus, over the life of the Mac, it actually is cheaper than a PC.
View Quote
Please explain your reasoning.  This is simply not true.
View Quote

Yes it is. Buying things that are already built into the Mac, tech support, things that break, etc, all add to the overall cost of the PC, things that the Mac does not have. Here is a indepedent study done which backs this up:

[url=http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=4795]Macs cost 36% less to Maintain[/url]

(Note that while it is on a Mac website, the company that did it has no connection to pro-Mac business.)

Funny, I don't have trouble with my PC, and I assembled it myself.  I also have an order on the way for a new motherboard, a 1.6GHz northwood p4, and 512mb DDR400 memory.  It cost me about $450, $200 of which was for the memory.
View Quote

You are not the standard computer user. Most people don't go out and build their own computer.

Quoted:
Which means it must be pretty stable.  Even with win98 I haven't had more than a couple crashes in the last year, and it's often on for 15 hours a day.
View Quote

Yeah, I heard it is stable, relative to older versions of Windows. As for 98, that was a crash prone system, just like older versions of the MacOS were.

That is not true, since macs are generally already obsolete at the time you purchase them.
View Quote

So are PCs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 4:04:40 AM EDT
[#4]
The government organization where I used to work used Macs primarily, so I've used both Macs and PCs extensively.  Each platform has its strengths and weaknesses.

I recommend reading through this thread with an eye toward fact, because there's much opinion in here.  Focus on what's important to you, try out Mac's OSX, make a choice, and have fun.

Besides, you can always change later.

DrMark
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#5]
LIBERTY 76

1. Well if 97% of the folks use PCs. Don't you think that the idea of more or less reliability
might be hard to prove if for every 10 PCs there is 1 MAC. By the way maybe they know somehting you dont.

2. Oh yah if it worked so great where is it today?

3. Because your talking consumer stuff (under $2000) and probably looking at a MAC catalog. I am talking about PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS that range in price $199 to $5 Million.

4.YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU SPEAK.

5.LOOK TO 4

6. YES IT IS REALLY GOOD FOR ME... HUH!?!?

7. Believe it or not. If I were talking about a comparison of Apple based programs compared to PC programs it would actually be up to 12 to 18 times faster. I am just talking about ours.

*If your so happy with your MAC great.

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Most
Always
Crashes
If
Not
The
Operating
System
Hangs
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like Macs for the same reason I like my HK's -- primarily reliability. I have to reboot my PC at work at least once or twice a day. My Mac keeps chugging along regardless of what I throw at it. It's faster and easier to use.
View Quote

HAHahahah... eh haha... anyway.  What OS are you running on your PC?  I never reboot, I don't even power down at the end of the day.  I can't remember the last time I rebooted.  I run Win 2000, before that is was NT 4.0.  Win XP is good, 95 and 98 are crap.
View Quote

a shitty OS = Shitty useablity. get 2000 or XP. very hard to crash. the last time my second PC was rebooted was due to power faiing and no UPS attached. it had been up for 3 weeks 6 days 12 hours 32 minutues and 49 secoonds. (i have a bot on a IRC network that also keeps track of uptime by using a windows variable)
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got 3 computers, 2 PC's that I have built (a 933 MHz and a 1.8Ghz) and 1 Mac (an IMac). The PCs where very cheap to build even with multiple hard drives,
512mb of RAM(each), CD/RWs, and DVD drives. Even with a 19" graphics monitor, each machine cost LESS than $1,300 in parts. After I put them together and
installed Win 98 SE, they both work like a charm!

My IMac also works great if it could stay connected to the internet for longer than 5 minutes without getting cut off for no explained reason!

Don't get me wrong, I love my IMac! It's quiet and easy to use (once you get the hang of it!). I just wish it had a more realistic price tag instead of a more "trendy"
look! As far as I'm concerned, ALL Apple products are 50% to 60% over priced.

I also wish I could build a Mac from NEW parts like you can build a PC, but I guess Apple doesn't want the competition. Now THAT'S a monopoly!    
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 12:13:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
- Being able to open a link in a "NEW" window.
View Quote

I am not sure what you mean. I do that all the time. You said you tried a Mac. You might want to try again.
BTW, can you open up a link BEHIND the current window? I can...
View Quote

How do you do that?  I could open a new window, but not a link in a new window.  What kind of crazy key combo do you use?  Ctrl + N?
View Quote

Command-Click. Of course you have to be using OmniWeb on Mac OS X. None of that Netscape or IE crap.

Apple has a silly recruitment commercial out with some geek in it.  Did you see it?
View Quote

Have seen it yet, but from what I hear its a good start. It is for the people who want to get things done, the unwashed masses if you will. It isn't directed toward tinkerers or zealots.
View Quote

Omniweb, so that's the ticket.  Guess they didn't implement the open link in a new window feature in the cool IE Preview Edition I was utilizing.  Nutscrape, they still around?

They now have at least two commercials.  The new one features a "real" FDCGH moron.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 9:47:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 9:13:16 PM EDT
[#11]
What the heck Hank! You didn't get it in piss yellow, flaming homo ruby red, or snot green. You know Flaming homo Ruby Red has the most power... [;D]

I know .. I couldn't help it .. Glad you own something your in love with.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 11:58:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most
Always
Crashes
If
Not
The
Operating
System
Hangs
View Quote

Apparently you have not met Apple's new Operating System: Mac OS X. It almost NEVER crashes. In fact, they only time I had it crash in the past year that I have used it daily was back in the early days when it first came out, and that was due to a bug in the generic driver for Zip drives that made the machine hang when the drive was removed from the USB port and the machine was asleep at the time(whew! complicated bug!). IE, it only happened rarely. It was fixed in the next version that came out(10.1 I believe). Just wait until 10.2(or Jaguar) comes out, and it will be even more stable.
X's uptimes are similiar to other Unix systems, ie rock solid.

BTW, the same thing that you posted could be said of Windows(at least 95 and 98)
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Most
Always
Crashes
If
Not
The
Operating
System
Hangs
View Quote

[b]I[/b]'d
[b]B[/b]uy a
[b]M[/b]acintosh, instead of this

[b]P[/b]iece of
[b]C[/b]rap

[i]or[/i]

[b]P[b]iece of
[b]S[/b]__t
[b]2[/b] (too)!

[:D]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 12:28:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most
Always
Crashes
If
Not
The
Operating
System
Hangs
View Quote

Apparently you have not met Apple's new Operating System: Mac OS X. It almost NEVER crashes. In fact, they only time I had it crash in the past year that I have used it daily was back in the early days when it first came out, and that was due to a bug in the generic driver for Zip drives that made the machine hang when the drive was removed from the USB port and the machine was asleep at the time(whew! complicated bug!). IE, it only happened rarely. It was fixed in the next version that came out(10.1 I believe). Just wait until 10.2(or Jaguar) comes out, and it will be even more stable.
X's uptimes are similiar to other Unix systems, ie rock solid.

BTW, the same thing that you posted could be said of Windows(at least 95 and 98)
View Quote

DITTO.

The only problems i've had have been with beta versions of drivers. In fact, with the OS updates my systems performance is getting faster.

Its been a loooooooooog time since its crashed!
So long now that I don't remember exactly when it was.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:27:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Who here uses Macs? I'm going to college soon and I want to get a new computer. Since everything will be new I was looking into Macs, since I've been a PC user all my life.

Anyone with experience Macs might be able to shed some light or impart some words of wisdom?

BTW, another option I've been looking into is that new OQO gadget they've been hyping. What does everyone think of that?
View Quote

Ok, if you do decide to buy a MAC. DON'T GO TO A MAC RETAIL SHOP!! Go to your campus bookstore. They have big discounts for students. Apple has been trying to infultrate the market this way for years. Schools and Students always get a big discount, in the hopes that if they get used to the MAC at school, they will carry it over to the workplace.

Unfortunately, this process hasn't happened. Steve Jobs is still scratching his head on this one. If he would just wake up and realize to LOWER the prices for the general public, then! his master plan would work.

Jobs tried this on the NeXt systems. Flooded the education system with them, got all the students / faculty all hyped up on them. But failed to follow through in the public. I Have to admit the NeXt systems was good at the time. But I blew away my instructors when I did the same type of work on my PC, even though it was REQUIRED that I do the work on the NeXt system.

When there was a Mac clone on the market, Apple did see a rise in demand and revenue for their software. But as someone stated before, Apple makes their $$$ on hardware.

The operation and usablility between the Mac and Wintel have become closer over the years. Both have their issues, pluses. Remember Steve Jobs stole the GUI from Xerox, then Gates took it from Jobs.

So it boils down to INITIAL cost of ownership. The average person, rarely looks at the total cost over years. Which oddly after everything is taken into consideration (software costs, hardware, user support, etc) equal out. So this is where Apple loses.

Until Steve Jobs learns from his past mistakes, no clones, no porting O/S to other platforms, Apple will always remain lagging behind in market saturation.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Uhm, right-click on short-cut, Open in New Window. Of course you'd need a two-button mouse.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Macs are great computers if your idea of a great computer is one that comes in lime green.

Other than that, they have about no real use other than maybe photoshop, and that's available on PCs too. PCs can be perfectly reliable, but because they can do a whole hell of a lot more they can be unreliable too.

It's kinda like the AR vs. the AK. Sure, you can shove an AK in the hands of any third world idiot and they can use it, but would you really want to limit yourself to that? Of course the main difference here is that Macs are actually more expensive than PCs, so I guess if you want to buy a system that is slower, can do less, and is mostly uncustomizable, go ahead and buy a Mac. As for me, I'll continue to make my own PCs out of the parts I purchase seperately and install all the software I want which wouldn't be available on the Mac. I could make more of a system with $1000 than a $2000 Mac could ever be. Even the premade PCs are a much better deal.

Verdict: JUST SAY NO TO MACS!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Im a graphic designer and I do 3D.

Buy a Mac.
View Quote

... Very cool [b]ilikelegs[/b]. I'm an aerospace engineering but I'm currently pursuing a bachelors degree in graphic design because it interests me.

...Woo Hoo!

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top