[#1]
I backed into page 2 ownage!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
100% your fault. you backed into a parked car, lol, how the hell could it be any one else's fault? maybe you can avoid this in the future if you back out more slowly & watch where you're going. the mitusbishi driver has no responsibility to avoid your blindspot, that's a courtesy. you should, knowing there's a blindspot, take extra steps to avoid a collision.

Maybe you could learn how to read and realize this car was in my blind spot, I looked at the mirrors and behind my shoulder, and saw nothing. He also wasnt parked. He was stopped in the lane. I'd like to know where you get your X-ray vision or maybe you do frequent walk arounds your vehicle everytime you back out of a parking space. Maybe you employ a personal traffic director to guide you out of a parking lot.

Obviously not very well!!

Don't get all pissy because you messed up and hit someones vehicle. Then making it worse by becoming argumentative when everyone is saying you are wrong. Blind spot or not YOU HIT HIM and should take extra precaution because you have blind spots (or aren't a very observant or good driver)?

What if it was a kid you ran over? You're driving a 3-4000 pound vehicle and it is YOUR responsibilty!
I have now stated three times in this thread that it was my fault. However, that doesnt mean it was not avoidable. The fact I could not have seen this car unless I got out and walked around my car. I would like to know what you do to prevent accidents like this.

If it wasnt avoidable nobody would be able to back out of a parking spot without hitting someone every time. Its not unavoidable. Billions of people avoid doing that every day. There is no way you can just lose an entire sedan in the blind spot of an F150. Your not exactly driving a big rig.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry to hear about your accident but in my non-lawyerly opinion I think you were in the wrong.  The right of way in a parking lot are in the driving lanes.  Anyone going into the right of way must yield to the right of way.  

I feel for you on the insurance bit.  I guess there are lots of folks out there without insurance.  I had a guy back into my PARKED car while I was in a parking lot.  I was not in the car at the time, but was walking out to it.  Fortunately I saw it happen because the guy was going to walk away.  He was trying to get me not to report it because he "worked for the police".    Man if you don't have insurance, just say so.  I'm not a cop so I can't haul you to jail for not having coverage.  

I understand how its technically my fault, but this guy was stopped in my blind spot. He was probably checking his cell phone or something. I dont see how I am wrong.  

I am no traffic cop (or traffic lawyer) but the way I see it, he had right of way.  You did not.  That is how you were "wrong".

In a parking lot, I believe the lanes have right of way.  By that I mean the cars driving up and down the aisles looking for parking spot have right of way over cars that are parked in the parking spot.  The courteous driver, when he sees someone trying to back out of a spot, will stop and wait until the other car has cleared the parking spot.  However, courtesy is not a requirement of law.

Think of it like you were pulling out into a street from your driveway.  Don't you think the cars who are already driving on the street have right of way?  You are the one intruding into their right of way, which means you should yield to them.  

I feel your pain.  There are some cars that have horrible rear-view visibility.  My dad has a Toyota pickup with a Lear cap and the rear visibility is subpar at best.  Further, the modern trend towards "gunslit windows" is making things worse ... the Dodge 300C, Dodge Magnum, Chrysler PT Cruiser, Chevy HHR, Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro ... they all have terrible rear view capability.  But you don't get right of way just because your car has bad rear view visibility.  You have to deal with the issue.

For me, I prefer to pull through spots so I am driving forward out of a parking spot instead of backing out.  I know it is not always possible but it is a great way to avoid accidents in parking lots.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If the situation was the other way, and he backed into you and said it was your fault, you would be ok with that?  

I dont know where everyone is getting at that I am denying fault. I even stated twice in this thread it was technically my fault.  

Perhaps because you keep saying that it may have "technically" been your fault, but you don't believe you are wrong.  Like here:
Quoted:

I understand how its technically my fault, but this guy was stopped in my blind spot. He was probably checking his cell phone or something. I dont see how I am wrong.  

If it's your fault, then you were in the wrong. I might be wrong, but I wasn't being negligent, which was my point.

It is YOUR responsibility to know what it behind your car when you are backing up (especially out of a parking spot).  The fact that you didn't SEE the car you hit doesn't somehow magically make it NOT your responsibility. I never said it wasn't my responsibility. I was making the claim that this accident was unavoidable. Just because it is unavoidable doesn't mean I am not assuming responsibility.

That fact that YOU put a camper shell on your truck that makes it difficult to see out the back when you are reversing doesn't make you any less responsible. Wrong. The Shell has no impact on my visibility  It has windows and I don't see how removing it would have done anything to prevent the accident.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Perhaps he was stopped because a big fucking truck was about to back into him.

i lol'd

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:24:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% your fault. you backed into a parked car, lol, how the hell could it be any one else's fault? maybe you can avoid this in the future if you back out more slowly & watch where you're going. the mitusbishi driver has no responsibility to avoid your blindspot, that's a courtesy. you should, knowing there's a blindspot, take extra steps to avoid a collision.

Maybe you could learn how to read and realize this car was in my blind spot, I looked at the mirrors and behind my shoulder, and saw nothing. He also wasnt parked. He was stopped in the lane. I'd like to know where you get your X-ray vision or maybe you do frequent walk arounds your vehicle everytime you back out of a parking space. Maybe you employ a personal traffic director to guide you out of a parking lot.

Don't get all pissy because you messed up and hit someones vehicle. Then making it worse by becoming argumentative when everyone is saying you are wrong. Blind spot or not YOU HIT HIM and should take extra precaution because you have blind spots (or aren't a very observant or good driver)?
What if it was a kid you ran over? You're driving a 3-4000 pound vehicle and it is YOUR responsibilty!
I have now stated three times in this thread that it was my fault. However, that doesnt mean it was not avoidable. The fact I could not have seen this car unless I got out and walked around my car. I would like to know what you do to prevent accidents like this.

If it wasnt avoidable nobody would be able to back out of a parking spot without hitting someone every time. Its not unavoidable. Billions of people avoid doing that every day. There is no way you can just lose an entire sedan in the blind spot of an F150. Your not exactly driving a big rig.
Read the fucking OP. It was a Mitsubishi Eclipse, not a Sedan.

At the angle and proximity to my car, this car was completely covered by my blind spot.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus Christ, OP.
Didn't your parents teach you about responsibility?
You don't say "I know it was my fault but".  You say "it was my fault."
See the period?
Stop with the chicken shit.

Insurance companies realize partial fault. Parking lot accidents are complicated, so I was asking for advice on that subject.
I realize now that posting this was a mistake.

Some people just don't get it.

Why don't you insert your own moral superiority into some other thread. I made this thread to ask for advice, not to prove how it wasn't my fault.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:30:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Jesus Christ, OP.

See the period?

Insurance companies realize partial fault. Parking lot accidents are complicated, so I was asking for advice on that subject.    

well you called that one right.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Jesus Christ, OP.

See the period?

Well since you asked, the only solution is to sell the truck.  Since you obviously believe that "having a blind spot" makes you less responsible it is the only sensible and correct thing you can do.  Do it for Asian driver's everywhere and God forbid someone's child.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I might be wrong, but I wasn't being negligent, which was my point.
[/span]
Wrong. The Shell has no impact on my visibility  It has windows and I don't see how removing it would have done anything to prevent the accident.[/span]

my point was that you were being negligent and that negligence caused the accident.  based on your statement about the shell having no impact on rearward visibility, I now suspect you voted for Barak Obama.

EDIT:

per wikipedia
Negligence (Lat. negligentia, from neglegere, to neglect, literally "not to pick up something") is a failure to exercise the care that a reasonably prudent person would exercise in like circumstances.[1] The area of tort law known as negligence involves harm caused by carelessness, not intentional harm.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus Christ, OP.

See the period?

Well since you asked, the only solution is to sell the truck.  Since you obviously believe that "having a blind spot" makes you less responsible it is the only sensible and correct thing you can do.  Do it for Asian driver's everywhere and God forbid someone's child.

I did not claim that I was not responsible. I have stated that numerous times. I don't know how to express that any further. I've already agreed to pay the guy's repair if its less than my deductible. But go ahead and label me entitled or something. We've already had diatribe on the youth of today and their irresponsibility.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:35:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the situation was the other way, and he backed into you and said it was your fault, you would be ok with that?  

I dont know where everyone is getting at that I am denying fault. I even stated twice in this thread it was technically my fault.  

Perhaps because you keep saying that it may have "technically" been your fault, but you don't believe you are wrong.  Like here:

Quoted:

If it's your fault, then you were in the wrong. I might be wrong, but I wasn't being negligent, which was my point.

It is YOUR responsibility to know what it behind your car when you are backing up (especially out of a parking spot).  The fact that you didn't SEE the car you hit doesn't somehow magically make it NOT your responsibility. I never said it wasn't my responsibility. I was making the claim that this accident was unavoidable. Just because it is unavoidable doesn't mean I am not assuming responsibility.

That fact that YOU put a camper shell on your truck that makes it difficult to see out the back when you are reversing doesn't make you any less responsible. Wrong. The Shell has no impact on my visibility  It has windows and I don't see how removing it would have done anything to prevent it.

You cannot both say that it was your responsibility AND that you weren't negligible.  If you are responsible, and you hit a stationary car in a parking lot - then BY DEFINITION you were negligent in your responsibility.

How's that different from saying that technically you were at fault, but you weren't wrong.  It's the same thing.

I'd say that it was a very unfortunate fender-bender, because it sounds like he was in precisely the wrong spot at precisely the wrong time - so I agree that it's unfortunate, and that it sucks - but I don't just agree with the language of saying you weren't wrong or weren't negligible.  But I hear what you are saying.

(Sorry for my misunderstanding about the camper top.  I figured it must have limited your visibility or something, because every time I have driven a F150, I would be unable to lose a sedan that was behind me.  But hey, who knows?  Were I backing up a F150 in the same situation, I might have hit the guy too.)

Negligence - a failure to exercise the care that a reasonably prudent person would exercise in like circumstances

I looked behind me for oncoming traffic prior to and while pulling out at a slow and reasonable speed. We were both in the wrong place in the wrong time. Tell me how I was negligent.

Yes, it can be my responsibility for an accident even though I was not being negligent.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

At the angle and proximity to my car, this car was completely covered by my blind spot.

My bad.

Still doesnt mean its acceptable to back into it. Something tells me its time for you to get something you can handle.

Nice dodge though about how rarley this completely "unavoidable" situation is *gasp* avoided daily.

Maybe this will have fewer "blind spots" and you wont run over Chinese peoples cars and blame them

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's up to you to check your blind spot, plain and simple. If you don't know how to do that, you've got some learning to do about driving. If you think you do know how to check your blind spot, you're either doing it wrong or you didn't do it on the day of the accident. It doesn't matter if there was another truck in your blind spot or a little teeny-tiny Smartcar, you hit them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad.

Still doesnt mean its acceptable to back into it. Something tells me its time for you to get something you can handle.

Nice dodge though about how rarley this completely "unavoidable" situation is *gasp* avoided daily.

Maybe this will have fewer "blind spots" and you wont run over Chinese peoples cars and blame them

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5577/10976003424240445798.jpg

Is it an often occurrence that people stop behind you for an extended period in a manner in which they are not visible to you in a nearly empty parking lot?

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's up to you to check your blind spot, plain and simple. If you don't know how to do that, you've got some learning to do about driving. If you think you do know how to check your blind spot, you're either doing it wrong or you didn't do it on the day of the accident. It doesn't matter if there was another truck in your blind spot or a little teeny-tiny Smartcar, you hit them.

How do you check your blind spot? Serious question.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:44:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That fact that YOU put a camper shell on your truck that makes it difficult to see out the back when you are reversing doesn't make you any less responsible. Wrong. The Shell has no impact on my visibility  It has windows and I don't see how removing it would have done anything to prevent it.

You cannot both say that it was your responsibility AND that you weren't negligible.  If you are responsible, and you hit a stationary car in a parking lot - then BY DEFINITION you were negligent in your responsibility.

How's that different from saying that technically you were at fault, but you weren't wrong.  It's the same thing.

I'd say that it was a very unfortunate fender-bender, because it sounds like he was in precisely the wrong spot at precisely the wrong time - so I agree that it's unfortunate, and that it sucks - but I don't just agree with the language of saying you weren't wrong or weren't negligible.  But I hear what you are saying.

(Sorry for my misunderstanding about the camper top.  I figured it must have limited your visibility or something, because every time I have driven a F150, I would be unable to lose a sedan that was behind me.  But hey, who knows?  Were I backing up a F150 in the same situation, I might have hit the guy too.)

Negligence - a failure to exercise the care that a reasonably prudent person would exercise in like circumstances  

I looked behind me for oncoming traffic prior to and while pulling out at a slow and reasonable speed. We were both in the wrong place in the wrong time. Tell me how I was negligent.

Yes, it can be my responsibility for an accident even though I was not being negligent.

Perhaps, but in this case you were definitely negligent. Tell us, what exactly do you think a "blind spot" is?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is it an often occurrence that people stop behind you for an extended period in a manner in which they are not visible to you in a nearly empty parking lot?   [/div]
Yes, that happens quite often and somehow I've never backed into one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:47:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Admit nothing.  Deny everything.  Make counter-accusations.  It's the American Way.

ORRRRR

Get one of these $3 to $50:

Google "After market backup camera", around $80.  Only you can prevent flattened children on tricycles.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps, but in this case you were definitely negligent. Tell us, what exactly do you think a "blind spot" is?

Blind spots are areas surrounding your vehicle in which you have no ability to see no matter how the mirrors are configured or the direction the driver is facing. To uncover a blind spot, the driver would have to change his position in the vehicle.

Explain what you would have done differently in my exact situation.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
you backed into him.

your fault.

Pretty much this, sorry man.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:49:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blind spots are areas surrounding your vehicle in which you have no ability to see no matter how the mirrors are configured or the direction the driver is facing. To uncover a blind spot, the driver would have to change his position in the vehicle.

I wouldn't drive a vehicle where I could back into a FUCKING CAR without seeing it.  SNAP!
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My bad.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5577/10976003424240445798.jpg

Is it an often occurrence that people stop behind you for an extended period in a manner in which they are not visible to you in a nearly empty parking lot?  

Do they stop behind me often in "blind spots"? Absolutley.
I know where my blind spots are so I have my primary mirrors properly adjusted as well as extra spot mirrors installed on (as ive already said) in everything from a 3/4 lifted pickup, to SUV's, to my motorcycle.
So no, I dont have issues where other motor vehicles are not visable to me.
I also back out very slowly if im in a parking lot or other busy area incase some idiot decides to fly around the lot at 50mph

All of which keeps completley avoidable situations....avoided.

ETA: What exactly is wrong with shifting your body in the seat to see better? Id rather do that than run over someone. Do you feel everyone should know your blind spots and stay out of them? Your really telling me you dont feel you should have to take extra precsutions to be safe in operating a motor vehicle. Your asking us how to avoid hitting a parked object and you have a license?
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_spot_(vehicle)

Sure, there are certain things you are never going to be able to see, like the back of your tailgate or your tail lights. But you can see things beyond it with no problem. Use your mirrors, all of them, turn your head. When I back out my head is on a swivel covering as much of the area behind the car and to the sides as possible. You don't back out just using the rear view mirror do you? Because if you do that's the problem. You've got to be aware of everything going on around your car.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Man up, take responsibility for your actions and learn to drive.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, there are certain things you are never going to be able to see, like the back of your tailgate or your tail lights. But you can see things beyond it with no problem. Use your mirrors, all of them, turn your head. When I back out my head is on a swivel covering as much of the area behind the car and to the sides as possible. You don't back out just using the rear view mirror do you? Because if you do that's the problem. You've got to be aware of everything going on around your car.

I dont know how many times I have stated in this thread, but I was facing towards the direction I was backing into. I was looking over the Eclipse, my truck was blocking the view.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Man up, take responsibility for your actions and learn to drive.

How is paying for the damage not taking responsibility?

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#30]
AFTER MARKET BACKUP CAMERA. /thread
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Tell me how I was negligent.

okay okay, i admit it.  you weren't being negligent.  that Chinese guy should've thrown it in reverse to avoid the collision.  the camper shell had nothing to do with it & if ever back into something i'll make sure to tell the responding officer that it wasn't technically my fault because i have blindspots!
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know how many times I have stated in this thread, but I was facing towards the direction I was backing into. I was looking over the Eclipse, my truck was blocking the view.  

Before you started backing out (and as you backed out), did you look to the right and the left? It's not enough to just look right behind you. If you do you're really just creating other blind spots.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Before you started backing out (and as you backed out), did you look to the right and the left? It's not enough to just look right behind you. If you do you're really just creating other blind spots.

YES

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A ford F150 is 97"  wide from mirror to mirror. A new Eclipse is 180" long. Proper use of side mirrors would have revealed his car was behind you.

It would be impossible to not see an object that was directly behind you oriented in a perpendicular manner when looking at a properly adjusted side view mirror. You cant "see over" an object in your side view mirror that is orientated behind the rear of your vehicle. Im sorry.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me how I was negligent.

okay okay, i admit it.  you weren't being negligent.  that Chinese guy should've thrown it in reverse to avoid the collision.  the camper shell had nothing to do with it & if ever back into something i'll make sure to tell the responding officer that it wasn't technically my fault because i have blindspots!

The truck body blocked my view of the car, not the camper. The camper wasn't a factor. I could see how it would be if I hit someone changing lanes or something.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was in a parking lot accident today, and I need some advice so I can understand who is at fault.

Here is a list of events that happened.

-I walked up to my car, entered, about 15 seconds later I started it and put it in reverse.
-I looked in my rear view mirrors, then looked behind my shoulder and pulled out to my back right
-Approximately 45 degrees into my back out, I felt an impact and braked instantly.

I had no idea what I hit. It turns out the car I hit stopped in the street completely in my blind spot. I drive a truck, and the other car was a small 2 door Mitsubishi. I took out his front right headlight and there was some surrounding bumper damage. There was no damage to my bumper, barely even a scratch.

How would fault workout? I understand that this accident was technically my fault, but it was unavoidable for me in my opinion. The car was stopped completely in my blind spot.

This is my second car accident. Last week some girl t-boned me in the SAME parking lot. The insurance companies determined it was her fault. I am entirely frustrated. Both of the drivers in these accidents are Chinese foreign students and I could barely understand them. The guy I hit today refused to give me his insurance information. Normally I keep asking and get the police to come get an accident report, but I had to be somewhere and there was no damage to my car.

MS paint depiction of accident

You claim its technically your fault, but you want to understand who is at fault?  Unless the car was shorter in length than your truck was wide, why was your passenger side view mirror not adjusted correctly?  It was avoidable.  If your mirrors were correct.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A ford F150 is 97"  wide from mirror to mirror. A new Eclipse is 180" long. Proper use of side mirrors would have revealed his car was behind you.

You are forgetting that these parking spaces were at about a 35 degree angle. The car's apparent length would be much shorter.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
you backed into him.

your fault.

Pretty much this, sorry man.

Improper backing.

Your fault.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#40]
i blame ford
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the problem is that people who own F150s and have driven F150s, are not convinced that a Mitsubishi eclipse would be completely obscured, as you are reversing towards it.  An F150 is simply not that tall or wide.  

Most likely it WAS visible either over your shoulder or in one of your mirrors as you reverse out - but you were probably looking in a different mirror, or in the wrong direction during the (small) window of time in which it was visible.

That is probably true, but I was not being unreasonable. If by chance I caught a view of an edge of the vehicle I might have avoided hitting it. Some accidents are hard to avoid, which is my argument about this accident, so maybe using the term 'unavoidable' was a mistake.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

[/div]You are forgetting that these parking spaces were at about a 35 degree angle. The car's apparent length would be much shorter.

[/div]

And didn't the speed of light today get faster?  Making the car that much smaller... sooooo..... yeah, definitely not your fault.  Sue the companies to add "Objects not in mirror may actually exist" under the "larger than the appear" part....
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Quoted:

[/div]You are forgetting that these parking spaces were at about a 35 degree angle. The car's apparent length would be much shorter.
 [/div]

And didn't the speed of light today get faster?  Making the car that much smaller... sooooo..... yeah, definitely not your fault.  Sue the companies to add "Objects not in mirror may actually exist" under the "larger than the appear" part....

Considering that I'm paying out of pocket for this guy's damages, I'm probably not going to sue him. I dont want to stop you from trolling my thread though.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#45]
I suppose that if it's OPs fault for hitting the guy, then people who drive trucks should never park in parking lots unless they have ESP.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have gotten out of my Montero many times to 'double check' what was behind me, because I wan't sure what 'could' have been there.

There's your answer.

Pay the man, learn from your mistake and move on, being more careful next time.

Chris

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I suppose that if it's OPs fault for hitting the guy, then people who drive trucks should never park in parking lots unless they have ESP.

Huh?  You are responsible for operating your vehicle.  If you are unable to see whats going on 360 around you and hit someone, you are at fault.  No ESP needed.  Just an after market backup camera.  Seriously, how is anyone still arguing that there is no way for them to know what's going on right behind them?  Technology has advanced, please keep up with it.  $80 very well may save you much more from having to pay for insurance costs, body work or your neighbor's flat child.

Yeah, this particular situation sucks.  Learn from the mistake, thank god no one was hurt and take actions to prevent it in the future.  Don't make exaggerations about ESP.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Or they should learn how to operate their vehicles like everyone else on the road. Damn personal responsibility!
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Big mistake right there. You DO NOT LEAVE until a police report is filled out! COVER YOUR ASS. [/div]

My wife learned that lesson the hard way when we got served with a quarter million dollar lawsuit 3 years later...
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Even taking your drawing into account and the fact that you had a totally empty parking lot- meaning there were no vehicles to obscure lateral views Im not buying it that he was impossible to see

Use your side mirrors, slow down, and pay attention.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top