Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2002 11:42:06 AM EDT
Well after working out things with the wifey poo it looks like we will hopefully end up going up to Sask for a few days and then shoot east across southern Canada and then crossing back into the US someplace in upstate New York and working our way down to NYC and from there to the DC area, Philly (if we have extra time) Pittsburgh and then back home.

While in NYC we want to see the Statue of Liberty, Aircraft Carrier Independence (possible) and of course Ground Zero as this is something the girls should see so they can better understand what's going on (major reason for heading east at this time) Last time I was in NYC it was 97 or 98 and I'm sure things have really changed since then.

Then we want to work our way down to DC and visit the Wall and whatever else we can see in a couple of days before heading back home.

For the most part we will be tent camping except in the metro areas and I was wondering if you had any good ideas on what to see and do in and around NYC and the area not to mention on the drive down from Canada across upstate NY along with where to get diesel (will be driving a Ford F-250 pickup) and if there are any campgrounds or hotel's you could recommend along with places to eat the local specialty food that does not cost a arm and leg!!

Not to mention areas to stay out of and/or roads to take or stay away from.

We should have 2-3 days in NYC and then 3-4 in DC as a minimum. I think DC has more historical places to take the kids, not to mention the Smithsonian this trip.

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 8:28:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't tell you much other than you'll love the drive along the northern great lakes shore. When I was stationed at Griffiss AFB in the 70's the wife and I would drive from NY to Manitoba to visit her family. Lots of trees, water, places to camp, and very few people. Enjoy your trip.
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Statue of Liberty is closed to tourist since 9/11, you'll get as close as Battery Park unless you have a boat.

You mean the aircraft carrier "Intrepid"...always fun and open to the public

Ground Zero, not much to see, but I consider it sacred ground and a must visit, especially to pay your respects and to remind yourself why we're doing what we do. The entrance to the viewing platform is on Broadway and Fulton St. and opens at 9AM.

Food in NYC that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? DO NOT EAT IN MIDTOWN MANHATTAN, THEY ARE ALL TOURIST TRAPS! Head downtown to the Village, Little Italy, or Chinatown for some good "cheap" eats!
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ground Zero, not much to see, but I consider it sacred ground and a must visit, especially to pay your respects and to remind yourself why we're doing what we do. The entrance to the viewing platform is on Broadway and Fulton St. and opens at 9AM.
View Quote

Wave, the main reason we want to visit out east is to pay respects at Ground Zero. I'm a Military policeman and a volunteer firemen so this is something that just needs to be done..................

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top