Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2001 9:54:30 PM EDT
I bought one of those M16 slings with the metal clip that hooks onto the sling swivel.  Which one is it supposed to latch onto?  The butt or the front swivel or does it not matter?  I feel like a moron for asking this, but the only experience I have with these rifles is from Navy boot camp 10 years ago and I can't remember if they even had slings.  We only shot them once. [:\]

TIA!
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Metal clip to the buttstock sling swivel.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#2]
...or the front.  The proper military attachment is on the butt stock but it makes an easily adjustable sling for target work if you hook it on the front.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 4:40:30 AM EDT
[#3]
The metal hook goes at the buttstock swivel. This way you can unhook it at the bottom and make a loop sling(don't know if they taught that in the Navy. They do teach it in the USMC) And the sling keeper at the top makes for easy lengthening or shortening of the sling.

Check out this site on web and loop slings.
[url]http://www.jouster.com/articles30m1/slings.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#4]
InTheBlack

Hooked on the front, you use the loop formed by the buckel/cam thingy.  You can make an improvised no pulse.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#5]
The military used the clip at the lower swivel.  When you're using the sling as a shooting aid instead of just as a carry strap, you snap the sling off the swivel and make a loop for your arm.

More advanced target shooters reverse the loose end at the front so it's to the outside instead of inside.  They use the rear loop and just tug the dangling end at the front to unlock the clamp, and pull the loose end to tighten the sling up to suit their position.  Then they lock the clamp to hold the whole thing in place.

In this position it's easy to use in competition but looks odd.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#6]
...and get the one that's made of cotton.  The nylon ones slip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top