Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2002 7:22:58 PM EDT
Bored and not wanting to cook I decided to try one of the MREs I have stored.  I settled on the grilled beefsteak and Mexican rice.  The rice was quite good and had a fine texture and appearance.  The beefsteak was a little dry and tough.  Reminded me of my mothers pork chops.  This was eaten with the red beverage, 12oz..  The crackers were ok, but made better with the addition of peanut butter.  Not bad at all.  As I type I am eating the rest of the Jolly Rancher candies.  Overall quite good.  Next meal will be Menu #4, Ham Slices.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Was it a "real" military-style "pre-ban" (hehe) MRE, with TP, coffee, chewing gum, etc.?

I have one left... (plus 1/4 of another)

When my friends mention they want to get some MREs, I offer it to them to try, but they decide not to touch it. Do they expire?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Man, I use to LOVE those John Wayne cookies that came in the mil-issue MRE's.  At least that's what I always heard them called.  Kind of a cookie with a chocolate covering.

MmmmMmmmGood!

Tobasco sauce on ALL the main courses makes them all taste the same (and edible).

And, what a bonus it was when you got crackers, peanut butter, and jelly.  WooHoo!!

Or making the chocolate drink into a paste and smearing it on the cracker with some peanut butter.

You know, my wife just doesn't understand it when I explain the finer meals I've had in my life.  Stops raining.  Find nice log to sit on.  Take poncho off.  Uncover for lunch and get that steel pot off your head.  Scrape the mud off you hands, flick an ant off your leg.  Lay your rifle across your knees and see what Uncle Sam bought you for dinner!!

Seriously, 9/10's of the MRE's I ate (and it was a bunch) were great.  But I hated getting the fruitcake and like eggs for dinner.

Oh, and they're really good if you have the runs.  Seems like The Uncle doesn't like his soldiers spending too much time in the weeds.  Which might be why the included TP is so small....

I need to get some MRE's.  It's been too long!  [:)]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Without opening it, how do I tell what is inside it?

Also, where do you get your mil-style MREs?

I think what I had could have been the Omlette-- YUK! the peanut butter & crackers was much better. So were the M&Ms.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes the real thing.  My father is retired Army and lives in Petersburg VA near Ft. Lee.  He bought them at the PX a few years ago. Has everything in it including TP, a small bottle of Tabasco, gum......  I really do not know how long they last.  When my father was stationed in Ft. Bragg he used to bring home cases of K-rations for us kids.  That was about 1964 or so.  They used to put in these small packs of cigarettes, three or four to a pack.  I guess I grew up on the stuff.  When I was in the Navy I never saw them.  Can you imagine how many of these you would need to feed the men on an aircraft carrier!  I like to keep some handy for various reason.  One of the reasons seems to be late night snacking.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The outside of the plastic pouch tells the contents.  You can find them on the internet. Put in MRE or emergency food and you will find them.  My brother was an Army cook stationed in Darmstadt (sp) Germany.  He used to love them.  Then again we grew up on them.  In fact, he was thinking of ordering a few cases for his fishing trips and camping.  You would not believe how many different kinds of meals are offered.  The one I had tonight, as I suppose most do, with its own heating pouch.  Gets your whole meal nice and warm.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool.

They are also packed with a ton of calories for energy, right?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Oh, and they're really good if you have the runs.  Seems like The Uncle doesn't like his soldiers spending too much time in the weeds.  Which might be why the included TP is so small....
[:)]
View Quote

That's why they call them MRE's.

[b]M[/b]eals
[b]R[/b]efusing to
[b]E[/b]xit

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Sound like a man of experience.  That was funny.  Yes I beliece they have calories to spare.  Lots of carbs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#9]
It's amazing how well they taste after walking through the bush all day. I tuck one in my game vest while out grouse hunting. I do have a hard time choking down that nut brownie thing. A little chalky. Got milk?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#10]
"Next meal will be Menu #4, Ham Slices."

I'll bet it won't be after the first bite.  Those ham slices are nasty.  Better be ready with a backup entree.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Chicken and rice with a little tabasco.  About all I can stomach.  Ham slices are great!
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#12]
The Thai Chicken MRE is my favorite.  When we drill each month I always take the MRE over the so-called eggs that taste like peanut butter that you get in the chow line.  They do stop you up.  I don't shit until Monday morning.  Stay away from the ham slices.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:36:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I just opened a pinapple pound cake .....and am sharing it with my daughter, she keeps llooking for more. I prefer the meat to be other than slices..not as tough. Just got some new stuff from Major Surplus as all the local stuffis almost out of day when you buy it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Around 1986-87, in the field at night after a very long day, I bit into the [b]"Hog and Buzzard Loaf"[/b] (a.k.a. ham & chicken loaf)... and bit into a [b]Chicken Beak[/b].  Quite a suprize and cancelled my appetite that night.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 8:14:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do they expire?
View Quote

Yes. They can go bad. We got some of the OLD ones (dark brown wrap) at AT in 93. If you open the wrap and the Tobasco sauce is discolored don't bother opening the entree. It'll probably be black.  They have a shelf-life of 9 or 10 years IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#16]
in some countries, a chicken beak will bring you good luck!!!!!!!! HAHAHHAHAHA
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I know on the old style MRE's we use to see who could eat the whole packet of crackers with out taking a drink in under a minute. It doesn't seem that hard, but boy those crackers are like sponges. I could never do it. Maybe yall will have better luck with it.

I grew up on the old style MRE's. Have you seen what they're giving the troops now? I have a buddy that's in the Army. He gave me a couple of the new stlye MRE's. (At least that's what he called them.) Man, those things are nice. Plastic wraped on a cardboard TV tray. And the taste.... talk about good food. I think our military is getting a little too spoiled.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Have you seen what they're giving the troops now? I have a buddy that's in the Army. He gave me a couple of the new stlye MRE's. (At least that's what he called them.) Man, those things are nice. Plastic wraped on a cardboard TV tray. And the taste.... talk about good food. I think our military is getting a little too spoiled.
View Quote

Some where I have read that Cheaper than Dirt claims that their MREs are just like the one the military gets except they don't have all of the mumbo-jumbo legalese of not for civilians. They have that plastic tray it it, etc....
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#19]
oh thank god im not the only one that likes MRE's.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Beef Ravioli is next. I love the chemical food warmer that you add water and stuff with the entrie back into the cardboard box. Sure beats the old warmer. Nothing like eating a MRE while watching a good war movie. It enhances the movie experience.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bored and not wanting to cook I decided to try one of the MREs I have stored.  I settled on the grilled beefsteak and Mexican rice.  The rice was quite good and had a fine texture and appearance.  The beefsteak was a little dry and tough.  Reminded me of my mothers pork chops.  This was eaten with the red beverage, 12oz..  The crackers were ok, but made better with the addition of peanut butter.  Not bad at all.  As I type I am eating the rest of the Jolly Rancher candies.  Overall quite good.  Next meal will be Menu #4, Ham Slices.
View Quote

How f*ckin' depressing. The meal, the compulsion to write about it...the whole thing.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#22]
The best thing about MREs are the heater.  Take an empty gatorade bottle, put the heater inside, pour a little bit of water in and screw the lid on tight.  You got yourself a MRE BOMB!  These things can sometimes blow up good!  We like to scare the crap out of each other with these things in the Guard.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#23]
You boys ain't lived until you have eat a D Bar and fired up a 10 year old cig out  of a K Ration. The first drag and that old dried out cig would be half gone. I am gonna haft to find a MRE and try it out. In Korea all of our C and K and 10 in ones seemed to be War II left overs.
Our heaters was a jeep, truck or tank engine manifold
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Two days of MRE's in the Grand Canyon will cure you of liking them altogether.

I can't imagine eating them more than that.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 6:30:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Tonight's feast consists of a Ham slice, buttered noodles, pound cake, crackers and cheese, tea and cocoa.  
The vegetable crackers were spread with a thick layer of cheese.  Not bad, but I used up all of the tea finishing this portion.  Next to grace my plate is the ham and noodle main course.  The ham is not that bad.  Moist and it does taste like some kind of meat.  The noodles are different.  So different that after one small bite they shall never be tasted again.  Pretty bad.  The pound cake is orange flavored.  Very good orange flavor, but a little dry.  Stuck to the cake is a small pouch that says Fresh Pax.  You are warned not to eat it as it contains iron.  Good advice.  
The two meals were really not bad at all.  I think they would be fine for camping and short term emergency meals.  Younger kids would think these to be great I believe.  
Since I was in the Navy I never had opportunity to eat these types of meals on a daily basis or even for short periods of time.  What I do know is the military spends a lot of time and money providing our service men the best possible food and equipment.  Tomorrow I go out to eat.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought a case of individual meals from Cheaper than Dirt. They were "worser than death".
I ate c-rats in Nam and they were great compared to CTD's stuff. They were real high in sodium and tasted like eating a salt shaker with beef and whatever. I drank a ton of water afterwards. I couldn''t finish it so I put it out by the trash for the racoon that comes by every night for free eats.

The next morning most of it was still there. The damm racoon had enough sense not to eat that stuff. I am throwing the rest of the case away.

I found a place on the internet in Indiana that makes long term storage food that is supposed to be very good. And the price is a lot better. It is made when you order it. Not sitting in a warehuse for years already.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I really like the chicken alaking.  That is by far the best one I have ever eaten.  I've actually craved them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Some where I have read that Cheaper than Dirt claims that their MREs are just like the one the military gets except they don't have all of the mumbo-jumbo legalese of not for civilians. They have that plastic tray it it, etc....
View Quote

I went to CTD-- looked at the MREs, and they showed them to me and told me that they are not the kind of MREs you get in the military. From what I could tell, they are more like the MREs you get at hiking/camping stores like REI (which, the ones I saw at REI, have much more edible food in them, and are usually just the main course).
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Anybody have any MRE recipes? I know that when we had the old C-rats there were several recipes that got passed down. We'd combine the contents of our issued meals and one troop we had could mix up some surprisingly good grub from it. I remember eating a cobbler he made with the canned peaches and John Waynes that was plumb tasty. I remember seeing some of these concoctions Xeroxed and made into a handy little cookbook for the field. Knowing how creative GI's can be when they have to, it's still done.

IMHO, the worst entree you could get stuck with were the canned scrambled eggs and ham. Try eating that stuff cold. As luck would have it, it seemed like everytime you had to eat this stuff it would rain. You'd then get to experience the joys of farting in a poncho. I preferred to be wet.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I have 2 MRE cookbooks, that you still might be able to find at fun shows.

Canteen Cup Cookery by Galen Geer
Published by Desert Publications 1985

45 pages long and contains some really interesting recipes that can be made in the field. One problem is that the book mentions MRE items that were current issue at the time of printing and may not be available now.

MRE Excellence Cookbook by Vicki Walters
Published by Western Reserve Foods 1997

This one is 172 pages and contains many more catagories of recipes than the above mentioned book. It is not a field use book, as the recipes are aimed more at using MRE components in everyday meals, most likely for Y2K food storage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top