Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2002 6:19:57 PM EDT
Any chemists out there?

I need To order some chemicals. Any online sources to order from out there?
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought that the gov had a big crack down on online chemical companies due to the manufacturing of drugs like GHB and X.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
[:K]
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:12:22 PM EDT
[#6]
You guys sound like a bunch of antis. Mention the word chemicals and you get your panties all in a bunch.

Perhaps someone with 900+ posts and the handle drjarhead is a Ph.D. chemist, USMC (ret), and he is trying to efficiently order some materials for his company to produce a product that allows our troops to kill the enemy with fewer lives lost on our side.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You guys sound like a bunch of antis. Mention the word chemicals and you get your panties all in a bunch.

Perhaps someone with 900+ posts and the handle drjarhead is a Ph.D. chemist, USMC (ret), and he is trying to efficiently order some materials for his company to produce a product that allows our troops to kill the enemy with fewer lives lost on our side.
View Quote

Just something about that last line..........

Scott

[beer]

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 6:03:05 AM EDT
[#8]
i've gots all sort of companies for you...

www.sigma-aldrich.com
www.acros.com
www.alfa.com
www.resorg.com
www.tciamerica.com
www.bachem.com
www.lancastersynthesis.com
www.maybridge.co.uk

there's also fluka chemical, but i can't find their address right now...

they will more than likely not sell to you at a home address.  when i was in high school i had an account with simga aldrich, but they stopped it when they found out it was a home address (this was early 90's).  from that point on i had to do everyting through the school address.  i was working on a study looking at the stability of various enzymes in snake venom to electrical shock (i'd read some reports in outdoor life of people shocking themselves to inhibit the venom from a snake bite).  

sloth
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

If 'drjarhead' was a Ph.D chemist, he would know where to order chemicals, goof.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Geez, people, can't you just answer or ignore the request without calling him a troll?

He probably has a legitimate need for chemicals and is looking for to see if anyone has any tips on better sources than what he already has.

And if he does order chemicals over the Internet or through the mail, you can probably bet that these days he is going to have provide thorough documentation of his identity.

Would a terrorist or someone up to no good really attempt to procure chemicals in such an open, easily traceable manner?
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

If 'drjarhead' was a Ph.D chemist, he would know where to order chemicals, goof.
View Quote

You would also think that people on this site would know where to buy ammo and gun parts. But there are still endless questions and discussion on that subject.

If I had to order chemicals right now, I would look at outdated catalogs on my shelf, and give up on those. Then I might do a google search, and come up with 100,000 sites, but that could take all day to sift through. Ask the question here and someone like sloth will kindly reply with a managable list of sites.

Not to mention the fact that it would provide a reason to visit this site at work. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Look drj', I know your still mad at RGuns but this is not the way to solve the problem! [:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:19:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Look drj', I know your still mad at RGuns but this is not the way to solve the problem! [:D]
View Quote

Gee, Kevin, how do think I should handle it?[}:D]

For all of you paranoids out there I am:
1)Ex-Marine
2)an MD
3)have degrees in both Microbiology and Chemistry--and no I don't f'ing know where to buy chems online. If I did I wouldn't be asking.
4)I am looking to buy some KI in bulk--f'ing pills are ridiculously priced. What a profit margin they must be making.
5)I've been here for some time now and at least most of you should know me at least a little.
6)If I were looking to blow something up I could do it easily with household materials or easily available materials elsewhere. I have quite a knowledge base in this arena.
7)If I were looking to create toxins/poisons I could give you an almost endless list of easily available materials, including most of the plants in my backyard, not to mention the thousands of medications at my disposal. I happen to have an extensive knowledge base in this area as well.

To all of you who called me a troll: BITE ME!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#14]
www.fishersci.com

several different forms (granular, solution, etc)...KI (Granular, free flowing)

there are several different levels of purity (when you look you'll see the lot analysis).  the only this that struck me is the slight presence of heavy metals in the KI.  Not much (less than 5 ppm) but still there is going to be some there.  

sloth
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

3)have degrees in both Microbiology and Chemistry--and no I don't f'ing know where to buy chems online. If I did I wouldn't be asking.

View Quote

Sorry Dr. My appology. I made a bad assumption.

4)I am looking to buy some KI in bulk--f'ing pills are ridiculously priced. What a profit margin they must be making.
View Quote

You might reconsider. USP grade chemicals from anyone are gonna cost you more $$$, and even if you go with a non-USP grade KI, it is still $$$.
At least it was when I used to buy it from Alfa/Aesar. Personally, I'm not going to ingest any drugs that aren't FDA approved (or USP grade minimum).

AND, most chem companies won't sell to individuals. They require a business account.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm trying to get some prices currently-that's why I'm checking it out. Cheapest I've found for pills is 200/$25. That's not awful but its alot compared to straight out chem costs. Anbex(IOSAT) wants $10 for 14 pills. They're smoking something in that place. Its a salt for crying out loud, not a manufactured drug.

I would check purity prior to buying, of course.

FWIW, I am unaware of any medical supply house that supply this and I've checked several.

Thanks for the advice. At least this time no one called me a troll.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#17]
For us non-chemist, non-MD people:

What is KI?

Just curious now.....

Scott

[:D]

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#18]
potassium iodide

in the case of a "dirty" nuke bomb, radioactive isotopes of iodine might be used.  if this is the case the tyroid gland will readially absorbe this "hot" iodine from the environment.  a KI suplement will prevent this absorption.  sloth

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For us non-chemist, non-MD people:

What is KI?

Just curious now.....

Scott

View Quote

A little further info,

K = potassium (K from the latin, kalium, if I recall correctly)
I = iodine
USP = United States Pharmeucoupia

KI is a one to one ionic salt.

(edited because I really DO know how to spell...)
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know, maybe buy a bunch more and dispute the charges again???[}:D]

Take care dude!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know, maybe buy a bunch more and dispute the charges again???[}:D]

Take care dude!!!
View Quote

Ya know, I thought of doing that a couple of times. He even kept sending his catalog. I still have 2 slug barrels, a pistolgrip buttstock and mag extender for a Benelli M1 S90 sitting in a box in my closet. One of these days I will sell them. I wonder what KMA/RGUNS would give me for them....[):)]

You take care also.
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, Sloth. I'll check those sites later.

Legrue. No need for an apology. I'm just giving you guys some shit right back. You didn't expect any less did you??????????[:D]
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#23]
How about kelp supplements? Someone once recommended that here on a thread about nuclear after-effects. Increases the iodine levels in the thyroid, supposedly. What is your medical/chemist opinion on that?

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:31:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought potassium iodine in bulk (1 4oz bottle, granular, $34) from a company that sold products from "Spectrum" chemicals. [url]www.spectrumchemical.com[/url]

If I had a business license I could have bought direct from Spectrum.  I don't know what I could have bought from Spectrum, but the middle man I had to buy from had to check his list of "controlled chemicals" that he couldn't sell to consumers in bulk.  Thankfully Potassium iodine wasn't on his list because it's a necessary tool for surviving a nuclear disaster.[BD]  
BTW, get your own supply of potassium iodine for you and your family, unless you think the Gov will provide it for you------>[XX(]

I wonder what I could have bought straight from Spectrum if I had a business license? Maybe terrorists don't need to go that rout anyways...remember that huge shipment of cyanide stolen in Texas a few weeks back?
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#25]
You mean that shipment of CYANIDE that just slipped right out of the news? Never heard a thing about it.....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#26]
[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=120334[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top