BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 73
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mak_380:
Our low in the Metro Phoenix area was about 45.

I'm now trying to hibernate.

No Snow in the Valley. We have all this sunshine clogging up our streets, coating our cars, it's downright miserable, I tell you.

Too bad AZ is full.
View Quote
45 is balmy. Lots of public land to camp on.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:23:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GETBACKINTHEKITCHEN] [#2]
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:
Wife/ex problems? It actually makes it worse for the boys if he was otherwise a good father vs. a shithead. Without help those poor boys will grow up having abandonment and guilt issues. Never wanting to get too closely bonded to anyone with fear of losing them in an instant if they mess up.  Please tell me he at least left a note absolving his loved ones from his act.
View Quote
 It seems exhausting and useless to speculate.  Something was probably going on that nobody knew about.  Wife & marriage seemed fine, but who knows?

Details are still sparse.  Not sure about a note yet.  He was supposed to help a friend move but didn't show.  Brother called him, then immediately called the police.  They're not sure if it was before or after police arrived.  It might have been a panic move due to some embarrassment and therefore no note?

Either way his boys have to go through this at damn near the worst age possible.

If anyone is wondering what a rough-draft letter to two young boys who lost their father looks like, here's how mine turned out :

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RINO_Hunter:
 It seems exhausting and useless to speculate.  Something was probably going on that nobody knew about.  Wife & marriage seemed fine, but who knows?

Details are still sparse.  Not sure about a note yet.  He was supposed to help a friend move but didn't show.  Brother called him, then immediately called the police.  They're not sure if it was before or after police arrived.  It might have been a panic move due to some embarrassment and therefore no note?

Either way his boys have to go through this at damn near the worst age possible.

If anyone is wondering what a rough-draft letter to two young boys who lost their father looks like, here's how mine turned out :

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300350/31FC7E7C-29C1-49FA-912C-64C56F6A3933_png-775556.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Wife/ex problems? It actually makes it worse for the boys if he was otherwise a good father vs. a shithead. Without help those poor boys will grow up having abandonment and guilt issues. Never wanting to get too closely bonded to anyone with fear of losing them in an instant if they mess up.  Please tell me he at least left a note absolving his loved ones from his act.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300350/31FC7E7C-29C1-49FA-912C-64C56F6A3933_png-775556.JPG
Are there other family members such as aunts/uncles or grandparents nearby?
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By wtfboombrb:
View Quote
Temporarily; they moved from out of state and family is mostly still 1000 miles away.  I'm not involved in decision making or anything like that.

I guess my point of posting is that it can happen to anyone, even people who seem like they have it all together.  Just a reminder it's on everyone to have actual, real friendships so someone isn't stuck with a bunch of things they can't handle.  On both parties to actually mean, "how are you," and to answer honestly.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Temporarily; they moved from out of state and family is mostly still 1000 miles away.  I'm not involved in decision making or anything like that.

I guess my point of posting is that it can happen to anyone, even people who seem like they have it all together.  Just a reminder it's on everyone to have actual, real friendships so someone isn't stuck with a bunch of things they can't handle.  On both parties to actually mean, "how are you," and to answer honestly.
View All Quotes

I asked because I was thinking if there were no family as support for mom and kids then they might appreciate your filling some of the roles the close family would otherwise provide. You definitely don't want to get involved in her decision making.

Spot on advice about having real, or deep, friendships. Friends shouldn't have concerns about sharing their problems with each other. I call people who wont share their problems, or don't want to hear about my problems, 'acquaintances'.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm still lost on why for friends and soldiers under me that did it.

I always thought that if you have money, friends, family, it's all settled and just enjoy life.
I chatted with him and we were planning to go to the Wizard comic convention and talking to him, he was his normal self.

But what about purpose?

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesmanjournal/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=177766387

I don't know the point of my post... I guess......I can't comprehend it...it doesn't compute.....

Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:20:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Anastasios] [#7]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:

I always thought that if you have money, friends, family, it's all settled and just enjoy life.
I chatted with him and we were planning to go to the Wizard comic convention and talking to him, he was his normal self.

But what about purpose?

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesmanjournal/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=177766387

I don't know the point of my post... I guess......I can't comprehend it...it doesn't compute.....

View Quote
It's incomprehensible to those who haven't been there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:48:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kokopelli] [#8]
Has anyone tried any of the herbal ‘mood make betterers’ like Sam-e and St Johns wort?

Without going into a novel here, which I’ve done before in the invite-only LEO forum...short story is two decades of policing, forced into early medical retirement from on-duty injuries, and years of being untouchable for a good job, because, you know, disability is icky...finally found a decent job but wife and kids getting the brunt of it all.
I reached out to a ptsd group, I’ve gone to a few different therapists/counselors/shrinks over the years, (but my health insurance makes those visits extremely costly) and tried a couple different meds but I end up with the worst of the side effects, including what they say in the commercials about ‘if you have worsening thoughts of suicide...’

So I’ve been researching alternatives to the big pharma. Congress just legalized hemp on the federal level last week, so cbd from hemp would be an option for me now, and I’m reading good stuff about it. I would like some real first hand knowledge, though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By kokopelli:
Has anyone tried any of the herbal ‘mood make betterers’ like Sam-e and St Johns wort?

Without going into a novel here, which I’ve done before in the invite-only LEO forum...short story is two decades of policing, forced into early medical retirement from on-duty injuries, and years of being untouchable for a good job, because, you know, disability is icky...finally found a decent job but wife and kids getting the brunt of it all.
I reached out to a ptsd group, I’ve gone to a few different therapists/counselors/shrinks over the years, (but my health insurance makes those visits extremely costly) and tried a couple different meds but I end up with the worst of the side effects, including what they say in the commercials about ‘if you have worsening thoughts of suicide...’

So I’ve been researching alternatives to the big pharma. Congress just legalized hemp on the federal level last week, so cbd from hemp would be an option for me now, and I’m reading good stuff about it. I would like some real first hand knowledge, though.
View Quote
That bill does not legalize hemp for medicinal or recreational purposes, only industrial.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 6:11:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HTHF] [#10]

View Quote
It is likely you already know this but any regular M.D. will only prescribe medications that are approved treatments by the FDA. You will never get a Doc in traditional medicine to say otherwise. There are some folks who put stock in Dr. Joel D. Wallach. I have not personally used any of his methods but there are folks who swear by him. With supplements it is trial and error. Record keeping and research are important. Psychiatrists treat with drugs, psychologists will do the same with some talk therapy. For herbal, vitamins and minerals you will have to seek someone else.

If you are physically able to exercise is huge in all this. Especially this time of year when it is so dark all the time and seasonal depression wreaks havoc on folks. I hope some of this helps a little. Cheers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By HTHF:

It is likely you already know this but any regular M.D. will only prescribe medications that are approved treatments by the FDA. You will never get a Doc in traditional medicine to say otherwise. There are some folks who put stock in Dr. Joel D. Wallach. I have not personally used any of his methods but there are folks who swear by him. With supplements it is trial and error. Record keeping and research are important. Psychiatrists treat with drugs, psychologists will do the same with some talk therapy. For herbal, vitamins and minerals you will have to seek someone else.

If you are physically able to exercise is huge in all this. Especially this time of year when it is so dark all the time and seasonal depression wreaks havoc on folks. I hope some of this helps a little. Cheers.
View Quote
Ditto on the exercise. Get yourself an elliptical trainer and work off that excess adrenaline (nervous energy) that makes you feel like crap all day.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Ditto on the exercise. Get yourself an elliptical trainer and work off that excess adrenaline (nervous energy) that makes you feel like crap all day.
View Quote
That would be awesome...just can’t swing the money right now. I try to walk as much as I can.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Hachiko:
Gentlemen, I wish to give a Personal thank you to zukguy & wtfboombrb! These Gentlemen have gone above and beyond in assisting with my present life situation. I thank you both, from the bottom of my heart!
View Quote
You're welcome buddy, and you have my number anytime you need it. I will always be here for you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#15]

That would be awesome...just can’t swing the money right now. I try to walk as much as I can.
View Quote
I will give a huge 3rd recommendation for getting out and burning off excess stress you may not even know you have. I have terrible anxiety, but have found the only thing that works is getting a good work out daily. That can come from any form, but do it and your mind and body will thank you for it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:55:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By zukguy:
You're welcome buddy, and you have my number anytime you need it. I will always be here for you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zukguy:
Gentlemen, I wish to give a Personal thank you to zukguy & wtfboombrb! These Gentlemen have gone above and beyond in assisting with my present life situation. I thank you both, from the bottom of my heart!
Ditto!
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:24:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HTHF] [#17]

View Quote
@kokopelli

If you have a computer and a internet connection you are in business for workouts! This guy has some great workouts on youtube for all levels. All you need is yourself and the computer.

Here is one workout I have done personally and I can tell you right now it will kick your ass and you will feel great when you are done! Look at other videos by this man to suit your level of fitness up or down. I would call this workout advanced beginner to intermediate. Also consider jump rope workouts on youtube. Jump ropes are cheap and man, is it great cardio!

Brutal HIIT Ladder Workout - 20 Minute HIIT Workout at Home
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Checking in.
Comes in waves. I had another wave hit me over the last couple of days, today was pretty rough. Just a lot of stuff piled on me at once. Tbh, I really hate talking about it, so I don't quite know why I'm posting here. I guess just getting some thoughts out.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:58:21 AM EDT
[#19]

But what about purpose?

View Quote
Holy shit...

I know of that one. His suicide is literally the reason Oregon passed new gun control.

I wish this thread was in team.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:31:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By HALFNATTYGAINZ:
Checking in.
Comes in waves. I had another wave hit me over the last couple of days, today was pretty rough. Just a lot of stuff piled on me at once. Tbh, I really hate talking about it, so I don't quite know why I'm posting here. I guess just getting some thoughts out.
View Quote
@HALFNATTYGAINZ

Sometimes it feels good to dump. What's up?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Modly:
Holy shit...

I know of that one. His suicide is literally the reason Oregon passed new gun control.

View All Quotes

But what about purpose?

Holy shit...

It isn't about how others see you, or who you have in your life. It's all about how you see yourself!
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#22]
It isn't about how others see you, or who you have in your life. It's all about how you see yourself!
View Quote
We are all heroes to someone. Someone who does not see the struggles. Someone who never heard the self doubt. Someone who sees a good person, doing good things.

Someone who will be very sad when they lose that bright spot of interaction in their day.

Someone who would spend their days wondering why they weren't a better person.

We are all a web of connections with others. Some drag us down, some lift is up. Be the uplifter. Because you may never know when your connection is critical in others lives.

You CAN'T be objective about your own life. So - do those things that make you feel good when you help others.

It ain't easy.
Self destructive cycles are hard to break. Change your pattern. Volunteer. Do positive things to help shore up your self image. Give yourself ammunition to fight the bleak.

Much easier to say than do. But enduring teaches us how to survive. And thrive.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:31:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdAvilaSr] [#23]
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By HTHF:

@kokopelli

If you have a computer and a internet connection you are in business for workouts! This guy has some great workouts on youtube for all levels. All you need is yourself and the computer.

Here is one workout I have done personally and I can tell you right now it will kick your ass and you will feel great when you are done! Look at other videos by this man to suit your level of fitness up or down. I would call this workout advanced beginner to intermediate. Also consider jump rope workouts on youtube. Jump ropes are cheap and man, is it great cardio!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZnsLVArIt8
View Quote
Thanks! I'll check those out.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Holy shit...

View Quote
....I'm glad it's not, I wouldn't have seen it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:44:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kokopelli] [#26]
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By EdAvilaSr:
A man very dear to me, who is battling cancer, sent me this quote yesterday:

"Happiness comes a lot easier when you stop complaining about your problems and you start being grateful for all the problems you don't have"

Read this thread about your brave arfcom brothers/sisters and you'll see what I mean! https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Cancer-Support-thread-on-Arfcom-Get-in-here-/75-1925237/?page=1
View Quote
Thank you for posting that link.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By EdAvilaSr:
A man very dear to me, who is battling cancer, sent me this quote yesterday:

"Happiness comes a lot easier when you stop complaining about your problems and you start being grateful for all the problems you don't have"

Read this thread about your brave arfcom brothers/sisters and you'll see what I mean! https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Cancer-Support-thread-on-Arfcom-Get-in-here-/75-1925237/?page=1
View Quote
The bravery and grace in that thread is awe inspiring. I found it a couple of years ago when I began my own journey with cancer. I found a place I could ask questions and receive support that I couldn’t bring myself to look for anywhere else.  Since joining that thread, I’ve found (and lost) brothers I didn’t even know I had.

This thread can be much the same for those struggling with other demons. The vast majority of us here are men and as such there is a terrible stigma for us attached to any open expression of fear or weakness. When faced with a situation we can’t handle on our own, we don’t even know where to turn. This should be that place for anyone that needs it. I’m often amazed by the compassion and caring exhibited on this forum. No matter what someone here might need, I’m certain there are members here that can and will help. Please, just ask.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:54:00 PM EDT
[#29]
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Amen!
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Is there anyone else that feels really depressed around Christmas time for no reason? I get there are bunch of legit reasons to be depressed, but nothing real bad has ever happened to me around Christmas time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 10:57:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I dunno guys, I can feel myself slipping.  I'm not sure that I want to stop from slipping.  I know that as I type this, thousands of others are praying for just one more day.  Right now, I'd be fine if tomorrow never came.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't feel depressed so much anymore.  But I think that when I'm on my death bed and about to die, my last thought it is going to be, "Finally.  What an overrated experience."
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Firefinder37:
I dunno guys, I can feel myself slipping.  I'm not sure that I want to stop from slipping.  I know that as I type this, thousands of others are praying for just one more day.  Right now, I'd be fine if tomorrow never came.
View Quote
Hey man, what do you need to get off your chest?
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:56:53 AM EDT
[#35]
@BornToLooze
I don't get particularly depressed around the holidays, however I see a lot more cheer around me that I don't particularly feel myself. I don't begrudge anyone for getting into the spirit of the season, but it does get old. The holidays will be over soon. This too shall pass...

@Firefinder37
Do you think it is seasonal, or something else? I don't know you, but I hope that you stop slipping and start getting better.

@wswartzendruber
I'm pretty much there with you on that. It still beats looking forward to death. Two steps forward and one step back still gets you going in the right direction.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:27:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By wswartzendruber:
I don't feel depressed so much anymore.  But I think that when I'm on my death bed and about to die, my last thought it is going to be, "Finally.  What an overrated experience."
View Quote
And Jesus answered them, saying, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. He who loves his life loses it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it to life eternal. If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him.
John 12:23-26

We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one.
1 John 5:19
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 9:50:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: warlord] [#37]
Today(Dec 25, 2018 5:49pm PST) I saw a NHK(this is JPN's version of the US' PBS) documentary on stress, it was really informative. There are many levels of tolerance to stress that people could experience and may have huge ramaifications on your well-being, it can cause all sorts of illnesses including depression, cancer etc. Check on show times, real-time streamed from Tokyo. It also goes into "on demand" after the last show, but the resolution is way less, and may seem a bit blurry.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/

ETA(1) The name of the show is "Ask the Doctor," and the name of the episode is "Stress Management: Relax," next showing 10pm PST
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey peeps! Just posting up in here for those whose Christmas was "not as planned".

Mine was a 5/10.

So if your day wasn't quite right, pull up a chair!  I'm good; it is what it is...  But if anybody else wants to bitch then now's the time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 9mmmac:
Hey peeps! Just posting up in here for those whose Christmas was "not as planned".

Mine was a 5/10.

So if your day wasn't quite right, pull up a chair!  I'm good; it is what it is...  But if anybody else wants to bitch then now's the time.
View Quote
My problem is nothing in the big scheme of things, but I am feeling a bit down at the probability of being homeless starting on the 29th. Summer here is fine for living out of the car, winter not so much. I could use a few prayers.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:17:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Is it a low or a high probability?
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:18:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:
View Quote
On the high side.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 1:51:45 AM EDT
[#42]
On the high side.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:
On the high side.
Well crap.  I'm sorry that might happen.  Got you in my thoughts. Special prayers for you brother!
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 5:04:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By warlord:
Today(Dec 25, 2018 5:49pm PST) I saw a NHK(this is JPN's version of the US' PBS) documentary on stress, it was really informative. There are many levels of tolerance to stress that people could experience and may have huge ramaifications on your well-being, it can cause all sorts of illnesses including depression, cancer etc. Check on show times, real-time streamed from Tokyo. It also goes into "on demand" after the last show, but the resolution is way less, and may seem a bit blurry.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/

ETA(1) The name of the show is "Ask the Doctor," and the name of the episode is "Stress Management: Relax," next showing 10pm PST
View Quote
I found the link to the video worth a look.
=================
"Stress Management: Relax"
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/special/episode/201812261310/
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#44]

My problem is nothing in the big scheme of things, but I am feeling a bit down at the probability of being homeless starting on the 29th. Summer here is fine for living out of the car, winter not so much. I could use a few prayers.
View Quote
Have you posted or tried the the Montana forum for housing? https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometown/Montana/59/

If I hear of anything I will let you know. Prayers sent wtfboombrb.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 5:31:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Can anyone give me advice ....I was happy as a clam despite surgery for my ear to restore my hearing.....

until my ex came and bothered me....

She left me for her doctor boyfriend.....and it was brutal but I found happiness living with two divorced girls that had horrible marriages.

They made me whole and complete in that their own husbands never cooked or cleaned the house...never gave them flowers...never got them stuff for valentines day.....that kinds of stuff.

Just little shit that makes a difference.
I'm a MT unlicensed as I didn't get my license for it in Oregon so I used to give them massages and they liked that..... yes..I saw their boobs and whatever...but something in me just didn't click about hooking up with them... No hanky panky.....just.....kinda weird..but I treated them like sisters.... I can't explain. But strangely after the brunette left, we chatted a lot and dated but she is still emotionally in turmoil over her ex husband and she wasn't ready to date.....so it didn't work out....she's 38 and wanted kids...the whole shebang....and I guess maybe it's a Hungarian thing.
Attachment Attached File

Best roommates I ever had. Gorgeous both of them.....until they left later for brighter pastures, one moved to a city south of Budapest and the other she moved to continue her business.

Now I have an American vet friend here...and he is a bouncer at the bars here in budapest. Great guy. OIF vet like myself but my ex came back after my surgery.

I avoided her...left her to be.....as she has medical issues also.....

but she basically destroyed my foundation after she wrote an entire letter to me saying she was sorry....it was her fault......and after three years of leaving me....she found what she was missing me because of what I did for her.

I was in the hospital day and night for her...cooked and cleaned....did the laundry....made dinner and breakfast.....we eat out sometimes... I don't drink..smoke or do drugs...my only vice I would say is I like hiking and running alone and doing crossfit..
and WORLD OF TANKS and ARMED Assault 3...
Movies alone sometimes......some solitude but not anti social...

In the end...she said I was perfect...it was NOTHING with me....my two roommates told me the same.....

I happy that my vindication was from my roommates but vindication from my ex wife....it tore my foundation for this holiday......

I'm talking to a therapist about it this week but man..it really hurts me that she said that......

A therapist friend said that it's mainly because my Hurt locker broke out......I kept that hurt that she did to me close......and I just stayed busy and projected it into stuff keeping my mind busy and sane.
In the end....why does it hurt and depress me.....or is it something in me that still wants her??? we were together for 8 years.....but in and out of relationships for 20 years when i first met her in the 90's.

and fine...pics of my ex roommates..... who I lived with for 2 years in a 3 bedroom condo ..3s company style.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#47]
@Joszi:

Um, kinda sat on your post for a while.  It deserves a reply so I didn't want to just say whatever.

I think your purpose (wether you know it or not) is to help people get their shit together in a safe environment.  That's a pretty fucking noble charge, and you seem to be doing well at it.  Lots of other people would be predatory and hurt "lesser" people and take advantage of them when they are hurting.  You seem to put out a vibe that lets other people grow safely.

With that in mind,  I'd like you to consider that the letter your ex wrote was actually a huge compliment to you.

I mean that after some reflection, she realizes that you were a good guy, and she's letting you know that.   In my experience, that's very very rare.

I also think that you may have planted the seed,  or even grown the whole tree that her life is now.   Thus, you helped shape her growth,  pointed her in the direction she needs to go so that she is a better person.

Somehow I think you passed that point for yourself a long time ago.  I'm probably a bit behind your wife's development, and I'm learning by myself.  I think it's more difficult without a spiritual sensi like you.

I get that her letter was like a slap upside the head with the reality of it all, perhaps it was an unconcious reaction that you realized she passed a big milestone in her life?

I'm realizing now that the best way to help ourselves is to help somebody else.  I'm working on being more approachable, being a good listener and being a bit more moderate in some of my replies.  Do you see any sort of growth like that in yourself,  or the people you interact closely with?
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#48]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 9mmmac:

Mine was a 5/10.

wtfboombrb  What can I do to help you?
I don't have much, but whatever you need or want, you have!
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm 52, I have cirrhosis (all my fault), the doc says three years without a transplant, maybe fifteen with a transplant. I'm not sure I even want to proceed. I have stopped drinking since June. But I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. I have spent 85 days in the hospital in 2018. I'm down from around 250 to165. I lost most of the muscle mass in my legs, arms, chest and shoulders. I have no stamina. I rarely have enough appetite to eat more than one meal a day. I get paracentesis every two weeks to the tune of 12-15 liters of abdominal fluid. I am beginning the process towards a transplant evaluation. If my mother was not still living I would have already ended it. I'm not scared of dying , but I would prefer it quick peaceful and quiet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:44:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#50]
Originally Posted By edb66:
I'm 52, I have cirrhosis (all my fault), the doc says three years without a transplant, maybe fifteen with a transplant. I'm not sure I even want to proceed. I have stopped drinking since June. But I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze. I have spent 85 days in the hospital in 2018. I'm down from around 250 to165. I lost most of the muscle mass in my legs, arms, chest and shoulders. I have no stamina. I rarely have enough appetite to eat more than one meal a day. I get paracentesis every two weeks to the tune of 12-15 liters of abdominal fluid. I am beginning the process towards a transplant evaluation. If my mother was not still living I would have already ended it. I'm not scared of dying , but I would prefer it quick peaceful and quiet.
View Quote
Your having a really rough time brother, and I truly hate to hear about your pain.  Medicine is amazing, and as long as you maintain hope and positive outlook, anything is possible including a recovery for yourself.  I can see how it looks like there is no hope, but I can assure from a stranger's perspective that your story reads like there is indeed hope.

As you already said, your mother needs you, and I'm sure many others do as well.  You've already started to wage the war, and have won a significant battle by putting down the bottle, that's one helluva accomplishment, and one you should remind yourself of.  If you were a quitter you'd have never put the bottle down.

The amount of fun, love, and life you can enjoy over the next 15 years is worth whatever you have to do in order to make it happen.  I know it doesn't seem that way today, but in time if you stay in this fight, you'll win and find happiness again.

Stay strong brother, and don't stop fighting!
Page / 73
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top