Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2002 10:06:21 AM EDT
Wife just bought one of those food vacuum packing machines.  I am going to use it to store some SHTF ammo.  Have any of you done this?  Any tips?

I'm thinking of trying 3 or 4 loaded stripper clips in one small sized bag.  Could more fit?  Would it be better to do loose ammo instead? Probably will do both.  Would the storage requirements for several thousand rounds be approximately what they are without the bags?

Oh man, is the wife going to be pissed.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Which is more important - oxygen exposure or temperature?

I am building an air-conditioned room in our basement/garage right now for preparedness food storage.  The gun safe is in the room, so all the ammo inside will have the benefit of lower temperature storage.

From everything I have read the 2 bigest storage problems for ammo are humidity and temperature.  Vacuum packing will address humidity, but look carefully at where you store it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Great idea, but isn't it already phucking dry there, or are you in east Texas?!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't vacuum seal loose ammo.  The nose of a bullet could eventually puncture the bag and compromise the seal.  Just use your best judgement as far as how much you can squeeze into a bag.  Remember, you still need enough bag to fit into the sealer.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd vacuum pack with a fresh dessicant bag.  Even though you've removed most of the air, you haven't removed all the moisture.

This type of packaging is really only good for keeping the ammo dry in a wet environment.  It's overkill for long-term storage.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This type of packaging is really only good for keeping the ammo dry in a wet environment.  It's overkill for long-term storage.
View Quote

Oh Great...  NOW You Tell Me !!!    [:D]

I spent about 30 hours vacuum packing ammo with our FoodSaver...  

I then packed it all into ammo cans and added a desicant container to each.

[img]web-comm.com/ar15/ammo.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#6]
A good ammo can is all one needs, but whatever turns your crank. Aren't those plastic rolls rather expensive? There seems to be a lot of wasted material to cover just one box of ammo. I'd like to get a vacuum sealer myself. What does a guy need to spend to get a decent model?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Aren't those plastic rolls rather expensive?

[b]VERY Expensive..  but they are very thick and much more durable than "zip lock freezer" bags.  
You really need to use the manufacturer's bags to obtain a good vacuum seal (they have tiny ridges impregnated in the plastic to allow the air to be sucked out) [/b]

There seems to be a lot of wasted material to cover just one box of ammo.

[b]Normally, I pack several boxes of ammo in one bag.  These happen to be for my "bug out bag", so I wanted to individually pack each box.

You need to leave a few inches around the perimeter to allow the sealer to effectively seal the edges.  (thus the wasted material)[/b]

I'd like to get a vacuum sealer myself. What does a guy need to spend to get a decent model?

[b]I've tried a few.  The only one worth it's salt is the Tilia FoodSaver Pro.  I bought it from a local gourmet food store for aprox. $350.00  ----  I've probably spent 5x that amount on bags though. [:|]  

I've used it to pack just about everything for my "BOB".  (waterproof / clean / etc...)
[/b]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh Great...  NOW You Tell Me !!!    [:D]

I spent about 30 hours vacuum packing ammo with our FoodSaver...  

I then packed it all into ammo cans and added a desicant container to each.

[img]web-comm.com/ar15/ammo.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Wait a minute...you vacuum packed everything, put it in an ammo can, [i]then[/i] added a dessicant pack?  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Vacuum sealed AND dessicant???  Wow, that's a step beyond even overkill.  The only practical reason I see for vacuum sealing ammo is if you plan on toting it through the wilderness.  In that situation, carrying a heavy steel ammo can wouldn't be practical.  

My FoodSaver II has been pretty good.  You're probably a lot better off using it to extend shelf life for food though.  Food is infinitely more affected by oxidation than ammo.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Oops... I packed most of the ammo with tiny desicant packets INSIDE the bags.  Then I added a large (rectangular metal housing) desicant device inside the ammo can.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oops... I packed most of the ammo with tiny desicant packets INSIDE the bags.  Then I added a large (rectangular metal housing) desicant device inside the ammo can.
View Quote

Gotcha! The box is definitely ready for burial now.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#12]
It may seem like overkill (actually.. it probably IS).

BUT..  I have all of our ammo stored in the basement and the humidity level aproaches 70-80% !

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow..... GREAT Site Tatjana !

Cudos to you and Troy.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#15]
[url=www.uline.com]U-LINE[/url] and [url=www.browncor.com]Brown-Cor[/url] sell heavy-duty poly bags in your choice of thicknesses for small fraction of the cost of the original food saver bags. I also use them for bagging alkaline batteries before storing them in the fridge.

Instant rice makes a pretty good desicant. (Remember that old trick about putting rice in the salt shakers to keep the salt from clumping in humid weather? Same effect). Hell of a lot cheaper and easier to find than silica gel packets!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Skibane,

Thanks for the links!

But...  are you able to vacuum out the air if there are no "ridges" in the poly bags?

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Tatjana:

Here are the pics....
(white "packets" are desicant material)

[b]
[img]web-comm.com/ar15/ammo2.jpg[/img]

[img]web-comm.com/ar15/ammo4.jpg[/img]

STRIPPER CLIPS:
[img]web-comm.com/ar15/ammo6.jpg[/img]

"RANGE" ammo ---  (I didn't bother to pack this in anything since it will be shot up during the course of the summer)

[img]web-comm.com/ar15/ammo5.jpg[/img]

LONG-TERM STORAGE ---- (yeah..  I read those
"TSHTF" posts)  [:D]

Ammo was vacuum packed, the secured in 50cal
ammo cans and LOCKED inside these Greenlee
Jobsite boxes (available at Home Depot)

[img]web-comm.com/ar15/ammo3.jpg[/img]
[/b]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#19]
are you able to vacuum out the air if there are no "ridges" in the poly bags?
View Quote

Yep. If you ever buy vacuum-bagged cold cuts or cheese at your grocery store, you may notice that the bags they use aren't ridged either.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Holy Christ that's a lot of ammo!  I need to save these pic's and point out to the other half of the financial planning team that I'm falling behind!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#21]
RBAD,

fk man.... you have tons of ammo.  wish you were my neighbor. [:)]  thats quite the supply you got there.  i need to start building up my own supply.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
are you able to vacuum out the air if there are no "ridges" in the poly bags?
View Quote

Yep. If you ever buy vacuum-bagged cold cuts or cheese at your grocery store, you may notice that the bags they use aren't ridged either.
View Quote

[b]GREAT!!!!   I just ordered a bunch of 8mil bags from Uline.  Thanks again ![/b]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#23]
If you must vacuum-seal ammo, take care that you only vacuum out enough air to eliminate the excess air, thereby making the plastic fit snug against the box of ammo.  If you create much of a vacuum, I'm told that the vacuum might eventually suck the primers out a little, and possibly loosen them.

I don't know if there's any merit to that, but it doesn't seem necessary to create a vacuum within the package, when all you really want to do is just eliminate excess air.

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I think that's going a bit far, RBAD.  The ammo is already sealed, and the ammo cans are sealed.  Ever open up an old one and here the whoosh of air?  Just put the stuff on strippers (and bandos if you like), drop it in a [i]good[/i] ammo can (with a good seal still on it) with some dessicant and be done.
View Quote

I'm beginning to think that I am way too anal about this stuff...    [:D]

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#25]
R U expecting company?
Or do you like to shoot a lot?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:00:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
R U expecting company?
Or do you like to shoot a lot?
View Quote

Hahaha....  

The "long term" stuff is just that...
To be used by my future kids once all ammo is banned or taxed out of existance.

My wife and I LOVE to shoot, but with all of my back surgeries/problems of the past year, the ammo keeps piling up.  
We WILL shoot it all up this summer ! [:)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice stash RBAD! Be careful tho as there are the woosies who would consider you a "Branch Davidian" or "Sometype of Paramilitary Group" - the second one being the choice of the local news types. Enjoy busting those caps!!!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#28]
This is exactly the type of domestic terrorist activities that the ADL (hello mark!), SPLC and FBI are watching for. Now under the expanded Big Brother authorization from Herr Asscroft, this site and all members will be subject to roving surveillance.

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:27:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Can you fit a fully assembled AR15 in those vaccum bags?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top