Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
OK, but the one thing that everyone has looked past is this...  the purchaser will obviously be a first time purchaser of handguns.  Why?  Because they are asking someone who doesn't know anything about them, right?

For this case, I'd go with the Glock.  It's easy to use, the easiest to tear down and clean, and can be left plain or get modified to all extremes.  No plastic to "get used to" so that's not a problem.  Limp wristing is bad form and should be corrected anyways.  2 or 3 evenings at the range, and regular practice should clear up that one problem.  And oh yeah... shouldn't everyone be practicing?  (grin!)

Additionally, what are the 9's that are carried by local PD's?  Here in Kalifornia, 1/2 of the LEOs are carrying Glocks, many by choice.

All that having been said...  Beretta or Sig is a good second choice if the shooter really wants the thumb safety.  I'm not partial to HK.

Full cleaning time for Glock: 10 minutes (unless you are going wildly crazy on cleaning)  (actually, I can teach someone to clean one in that same time)

Standard cleaning time for Beretta:  30 minutes, easy.

Link Posted: 3/30/2001 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#2]
HK P7M13 at KY imports inc. are going for $799.99 in VG w/on mag and $949.99 in as new w/no mag.
New mag is 129.99

Also the HK P7M8 is a good choich to if you don't mined only having 8rds.

(1) safty =Exc

(2) accuracy = Exc

(3) reliability =Exc

(4) size for a CCW = VG
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#3]
And if you can`t afford any of these high-end pistols, look for a cz, in many configurations, well worth the cost, as reliable as any....[pistol]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Glock 17 tennifer finish virtually indestructable with maritime spring cups and proper training can even be fired underwater digests all kinds of fodder new ones have a rail and finger grips...had they been arround during Vietnam I would have opted to carry a Glock- (the 21 in 45acp however)...Sig 226..great guns accurate dont think finish holds up as nicely under severe adverse conditions as the glock -but if you dont expose your pistol to such
conditions would be a great choice in 9 s I've owned many glocks 2 sig p226s and a detonics (compact used to double on me alot got to hold em tight) that Berreta pic is nice looking..dont over look the CZs or the Kahrs...If you are interested in a glock got a NIB G17 (older version) plus two hi caps make you a good deal [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'll give another thumbs up to Ruger.  I have a P95 that I carry every day.  When I purchased it, it was the best I could afford.  Since then I have thought about buying a different 9mm, but I have not found one that shoots better for me or is more reliable.  I have about 5,000 rounds through it with no failures to feed or other malfunctions of any kind.  I have put many rounds through various sigs, glocks, and berettas, all are excellent firearms, and if you can afford it then look at all of them.  However don't feel shortchanged if all you can justify is a ruger.  The original 15rd Ruger mags are fairly easy to find and reasonably priced, and with a Hogue slip on grip it fits my hand very well.  Mine will print 2" at 15 yards all day firing pretty rapidly, and is very easy to control.  By the way my DA pull while fairly long is very smooth, equal too or better than the previous guns I mentioned.  By the way the 45cal version P97 is also very nice, and as an added bonus it fits the same holsters.
View Quote

I'm glad SOMEBODY has a reliable Ruger!

I can forgive the bad, chunky ergonomics, the sights, the magazines, the lack of knicknacks and doodads on the guns, but I won't put up with an unreliable gun. In my experience(which is limited, to be sure) Rugers aren't trustworthy. If people have different experiences, good, they probably have a good one, but I won't buy a Ruger, once burned, twice shy...

I'm also something of a gun snob, and I appreciate good workmanship, and accuracy along with reliability. An HK USP will be my working carry (No CCW for 18-20 year olds in this state) and is my fave handgun, with a Kimber ProCarry for concealment.

I will admit to a Taurus PT92 which is extremely well made, works positively flawlessly with $15 15-round ProMags(so I bought ten), and is my beat it to death camping gun.

I just can't buy a Ruger, that P89 one was enough, but I'm glad that they are reliable for some people.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Well if it just has to be a 9mm then I would put them in this order:

H&K USP
Sig P-226
Glock

But, if I could up the caliber then I would definity use the :

45 ACP
9mm

My Two Cents worth.

[flag]  [pyro]  [rocket]  
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all of the help. I know this will help immensely with the decision. I can see some clear favorites and logical reasoning. Being a .45 guy, myself...

Actually, this guy owns a handgun or two. Revolvers I believe. He is contemplating a 9mm or a .45. Talking to him I get the feeling that his main interest is inexpensive plinking.
The 9mm is a good choice due to the availability of ammo at better prices(he doesn't reload). We also talked about .357mag at one time and he said something to the effect that that was a lot more gun than he needed. This too tends to make me think 9mm for him. I can help him with the .45 and plan to get his hands on some of mine this week. I would do the same with a 9mm except that I don't own one. Of course once he gets his hands on a .45 he may never look twice at a 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#8]
IRVINENUT.....

I beg to differ on the 30min cleaning of the Beretta. I have owned both glock and Berreta and carried a glock as a issued weapon with the Sherrifs department during my stay w/ them.  I can tear down and clean both weapons in about the same time. I think it all about how familiar you are with you OWN weapon of choice. In my opinion they were both great weapons; I just choose to use a Beretta for concealed carry because I have seen to many people reach for a concealed glock and hang the trigger only to shoot themself in the leg or worse. I am just as fast on the draw with the safety engaged as I am with the glocks. Plus the option of single or double action is nice. My .01 [sniper]
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:27:54 PM EDT
[#9]
ruger, from p89 to present. great pistol, not picky, accurate and reliable. the only problem is that it doesn't cost a thousand efing dollars like these other pistols.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 9:54:18 PM EDT
[#10]
My first hand gun was a Ruger P89 9mm. I still have it. It is not the best looking but it has been a good gun. I have shot Berretta's, Glock's, HK's, SIG's. If you can go to your range and see if you can shoot several different makes to see what fits you.
Link Posted: 3/30/2001 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#11]
If your friend is looking for something a little nicer, I have a SIG P226S European Sport 9mm.  It is way cool, and it's fit and finish are the best of any of my 6 SIGs. Extremely accurate and very uncommon to see one around.  

A lot of good 9mm mentioned before, and you could do worse than any posted.  I still think one has to hold a pistol, and feel the fit and pointability before deciding.  I picked up a SIG P226 9mm at a gunshow and I knew it was the 9mm for me.  I like the short trigger though!

-Troy
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top