Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2002 9:08:15 PM EDT
Postban high cap mags for their own use ?
I said no on another board and took alot of flack over it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Tecnically they are on the job all the time, so Yes they can have/use them at the range on their off time.  When ther leave/retire they are suposed to either sell them to an FFL or sell trade them to another LEO.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Our local gunshop sells hi-cap LE mags to LEOs as long as they can show prove of their employment,Photo copy is taken along with a signed copy stating it is for use in their dept approved firearm.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 12:06:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:18:17 AM EDT
[#5]
When this came up on another board one of the guys who claimed i didn't know what i was talking about said he was an LEO,stated that he could buy an LEO AR for his own use.
Thats where the debate got hot.
I asked him why he thought he had more right to own a postban AR than I.
Maybe he really believes he is entitled to own that rifle.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:22:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#7]
As stated above the guy is technically on duty all the time.  He can use it off duty, but you can bet the letterhead he has to get in order to get the rifle/mags says that the rifle is intended for law enforcement duty use.

Tell him to put that the rifle is intended for personal use on his paperwork and see if he gets a rifle sold to him!
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#8]
In my dept,  LE rifles are restricted to one of two models only and you must go through the rifle course on your own dime. They are kind of stiff on the "Duty use" bit too,  don't get caught taking the thing on a hunting trip.  If you quit or retire, the weapon/magazines must be turned in the same time as uniforms and other equipment.  they'll hold up your paycheck until you comply. Lots of restrictions on add-ons, scopes and such as well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Mags are a tricky issue...

They can be purchased by the individual officer at their own expense for "duty" use, but that doen't mean they can't use the magazine in their personally-owned weapon, off-duty.

When the person ceases being a law enforcement officers they must immediately do one of the following:
1) Sell or transfer the magazines to another law enforcement officer who is authorized to possess the magazines;
2) Sell or transfer the magazines to an FFL;
3) Surrender the magazines to their law enforcement agency.

If an officer retires "honorably," the agency may "gift" the officer with their post-ban high caps at retirement, although the same does not hold true for a post-ban assault weapon or post-86 MG.

If I missed anything, I am sure someone will be along to correct me shortly.
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I stand corrected, although the way it was explained to me was that the retiring officer can surrender the mags to their agency and then get them back as a gift, if that is what the agency wants to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top