Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2002 5:39:06 PM EDT
Have 18 square of shingles, the old roof is original (35+ yr old house) I think, as shingles on the south roof section are so rotted that most gravel is gone and the shingle material is holes.  Now to the question:: I decided that the best thing to do was strip the roof,,, SOOO, what is the best way to operate the "shingle shovel"?
Should I start at top and work down? Or should I work my way uphill or other? I mostly went uphill, as that seems easy, I did work down, but getting under the stuck to paper flap is kind of a PIA. I'm open for suggestions, as I am for the most part working alone.

I did get most of the south side stripped today, 51ft x 15.5ft, replaced 1 of 4 pieces of plywood (2 need cut-outs to clear vents).
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
roofed for years.  Went top to bottom when stripping.  It may come off easier but you are working against yourself with the built up debris falling down the roof.

Use a good Ice & Water eve shield when re-applying shingles.  Most common are architectual type shingles.  Put 6 nails in each shingle to ensure proper wind resisitance.  Re flash chiminey and vent pipes carefully, as this is where most of your leaks will happen.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have done quite a bit of roofing.  I as well always went from top to bottom, I used a pitchfork or a flat edge shovel.  Always worked best for me.  Definately DO NOT skimp on shingles.  I am in the prcess of using Elk II on my roof.  I should have it done next weekend.  Careful when you are stripping it.  Watch your footing as it can get slippery.  I don't know how sttep your pitch is but still, be careful.

Also, since you are doing a tear off, you will ensure the warantee on your new shingles if it has one.  

Good luck.  If you have any more questions please let me know.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
also, expect that after 35 years, some of the sheeting is going to have to be replaced.  I always started by ripping off the caps and then just using a pitchfork and working my way down.  It really is an easy process.  You don't need to spend the extra money on the shingle shovel unless you don't have a pitch fork handy.

Keving67
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The shingles are the Dow Corning Supreme (std 3 tab/ 25yr shingle), got them a LOWE'S. We rented a shovel ($7-day or $14-week). Father in-law offered to rent a nail gun for us, and neighbor has a compressor. Lugging bundles of shingles [b]SUCKS[/b], they are heavy. LOWE'S set the pallet in the drive for me, they not do "roof delivery".
The roof is a 4-12, I think that is what brother in-law said, not really steep, but keeps you aware of surroundings. I do have to replace 4 pieces of wood so far, got the plain piece in tonight. Stupid roof is all 3/8 plywood, if I could reall afford it and had all kinds of time and agreeable weather (got sprinkled on 2 times today), have very large plastic sheeting to cover the roof. I would replace all w/ 1/2, but that is not going to happen.

All the rot is where the 4 pieces all corner togher with the large "house" for the water heater vent (6.5" pipe), suspect condensation got to the wood fronm the temp cycles of the pipe??  Walking on 3/8 wood is nit a good feeling either, flexes a lot.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#5]
gravity is your friend. Even though you'd think you would have to bend more, don't. Just lean into the scraper. It is less strain on your back than working upwards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top