BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Post from lurker -
ok, a shortlived independent republic, before US troops came in and siezed control.
my point stands.
View Quote

No, no, no. Your point doesn't stand![:D]

You can't consider a 'three week period of a flag' in one remote area of a land to be a republic! Or much anything else!

What was the legislature of this republic? Who was the President? Where was its capital?

C'mon, your point was weak and lame!

And Hawaii was simply an American possession by the time statehood came.

Eric The(Now,Texas....)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

go ahead, eric, dismiss the facts if you like.

but remember, most people here are smart enough to find the truth for themselves, if they care to look for it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Post from legrue -
(BTW Hun, Colorado beat TX in the battle of Glorietta Pass ;))
View Quote

Hmmm, Colorado, isn't that where Texans go snow skiing? What else y'all got up there besides limp-wristed liberal politicos?

So you consider Glorietta Pass a victory? You [u]are[/u] a Yankee!

Eric The(Rebel)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

legrue,

Pardon me for jumping into what is rightfully your fight, but I just had to clear up some of the Hun's misconceptions. [;)]

Eric,

I've lived in Colorado all my life.  And as you can tell by my screenname, I'm not at all ashamed of being called a Yankee.  I seem to recall that we Yankees are 1 and 0 in wars with you southerners. [:D]

I've shared the slopes with people from all over the country and the world.  And with a very few exceptions, I'd have to describe the "skiing" style of most Texans as a semi-controlled plummet, with all the grace of a land-locked penguin.  

Of course, some Texans take the mountains and the possibility of altitude sickness seriously.  They acclimate by getting really drunk the night before they go skiing, and generally wind up being saved by a Yankee wearing a red jacket with a white cross on the back, carrying a portable oxygen bottle.  We call them Ski-Patrol, for your future reference. [;)]

Let's not forget the off-roading prowess displayed by two Texas brothers down by Silverton.  They managed to get a truck and a Jeep into a place where they shouldn't have been in the first place.  To their credit, and with no small amount of help from the locals, they did manage to get their vehicles back.  A week later.

Yes, we have our share of liberal politicians.  We also have more than our fair share of tree-hugging, bunny-kissing, bliss-ninny sheeple, but most are concentrated in Denver and Boulder, and are relatively easy to avoid.  Seems to me that being cursed with liberal politicians isn't unique to Colorado.  Sheila Jackson-Lee sound familiar?

BTW Eric, I hope you don't take offense at this post.  Just returning a few good-natured jabs at ya.  You Texans are welcome here anytime.  Just remember to get enough sleep, drink enough water, and if you're having trouble breathing ask a native for help.  We'll get you some supplemental oxygen. [:D]

Yankee1911, a proud Colorado native. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I was born in Wisconsin, lived there for 12 years then moved to Texas.  I still love WI and get back there from time to time but I am a Texan, as I have lived here for 30 years.  Wouldn't leave it.  The only thing I don't like about Texas are those damn Cowboys.  Jerry Jones is an idiot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Yankee,

LOL, no problem brother. I was just having a little fun as well. Good post. If you're in the metro area, let's go shooting.

-Another proud Yank
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:10:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Post from lurker -
go ahead, eric, dismiss the facts if you like.
View Quote

Facts? What 'facts' have you presented? None, m'boy, none.
...but remember, most people here are smart enough to find the truth for themselves, if they care to look for it.
View Quote

Well, first, you need to supply us with some facts before we can all go and 'find the truth' for ourselves!

Eric The(YouKnow,Facts!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've lived in TX since the day I was born and I am never leaving!
View Quote

I feel the same way!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Post from Yankee1911 -
BTW Eric, I hope you don't take offense at this post.
View Quote

Not at all, [b]Yankee1911[/b], not at all!

I mean I live in Texas, and you live in Colorado, that's payback enough for me![:D]

Eric The(Colorado-TheLandOfTwoSeasons-WinterAndAugust)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Born in Michigan and lived there 26 years.

Been in Colorado for past 20 years. This is home for good. A great state.

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I only lived in Texas for less than a year and I still miss it.
View Quote

Me, too. Except I don't miss it one bit. It was okay, and that's about it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#11]
If I was living in a state like AZ, TX or GA I would be as loyal as many of the men who fought for their states during the Civil War..
but..I'm not. I live in Kalifornia..and if anything I am hoping that the Red Chinese will be so kind as to nuke the state I am living in.

My Dad's family came from TX..so if anything I consider myself a citizen of TX. Am going to request that my body is to buried in Lisbon, TX next to my Grandparents, Great and Great-Great Grandparents.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Tennessee REPRESENT!   On da west sy-eede... you know how [i]we[/i] do.

Beautiful country, lots of Bubbas who carry a rifle in the back window of their 4x4 (thank God!), good gun laws, Southern hospitality, home of Jack Daniel's, and proud to have upset Gore's coup in 2000.  This IS flyover country!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Eric The(Colorado-TheLandOfTwoSeasons-WinterAndAugust)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Yeah, but it's a [i]dry[/i] heat. [:)]

legrue,

I'm in Lakewood.  We'll definitely have to get together sometime.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I hate both states I live in, Michigan and California.

My heart belongs to Nevada but North-eastern Texas is winning me over too.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I live in MI.  While it is not perfert, I love it here.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I live in Oregon, and its pretty cool state.
Our Liquor laws suck, and there's other laws here that pertain to just us, but all and all I can do what I please.

But Oregon is definitely on its way out, to many liberal citizens and politicians from California moving in, changing the views of many blind oregonians.

State-Wide, a trend is starting, Portland, Salem, and Eugene are all larger cities and the views of City politicians and citizens is taking over the rest of Oregon.

Oregon is not a state of big city views and its starting to happen, so I told my girl to be prepared to Move to Arizona or West Texas in the future.

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Two observations:

1. We're OVERREPRESENTED by Texans here  [}:D]

2. South Carolina is making a pretty poor showing. [:(]

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Loyal to Arizona!
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:01:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
North Dakota and proud of it.  I've finally come back after ten years in the shithole called Illinois and am damn happy to be here.

Sure, some things have changed, but this is still home.

Mike
View Quote

I was born in Mandan, ND, and lived there for 21 years. Now I live in this shithole called Milwaukee. I'll be moving back to the blessed holy land of the north soon. I love ND weather. "It keeps the riff raff out!"

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:03:15 PM EDT
[#24]
My future ex-mother-in-law is in Aiken. Does that count? SC is green, but too darn muggy in the late summer.

Eric, you said it best. The punishment is that you live in TX and I live in CO (JK ;))

Yankee, Good deal. I'm on the west side too. Does Tom & Joe's ring a bell?

-legrue
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Totally disloyal to Maryland.  If Virginia and Delaware were to contact me regarding conquering the non-commie infested parts of Maryland, I would gladly help.  It would be a pushover, Virginia and Delaware have all the guns, Maryland wont have any if our AG gets his wish.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Let's just say I would have been much happier if I would have been born and raised in just about any other state.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Although I do not agree with the political climate and gun laws, California will always be my home. As for now I live in exile.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm dead loyal to my STATE but not to its present ROGUE OCCUPATIONAL "GOVERNMENT".
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Tennessee, I'm proud to be a Volunteer, a name we got for assisting the Texans (Alamo) and a bunch of others.  I've even lived in other states as a child and I travel all the time, but nothing beats TN.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#30]
I've lived in quite a few states including Alaska, as well as served in the military overseas. I've even lived in several parts of Arizona.

Having said that, everytime I come back home to northeast AZ through Heber or Flagstaff, and feel the clean fresh air from the trees and forest pass through me, I know I am home. Nothing quite like it. I can literally feel my spirit being drained from me when I've lived in Tucson, and the Phoenix area, yet when I'm in the forested areas of this state, I can feel the spirit that moves and flows in all things flowing through me.

The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust

Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
North Dakota and proud of it.  I've finally come back after ten years in the shithole called Illinois and am damn happy to be here.

Sure, some things have changed, but this is still home.

Mike
View Quote

I was born in Mandan, ND, and lived there for 21 years. Now I live in this shithole called Milwaukee. I'll be moving back to the blessed holy land of the north soon. I love ND weather. "It keeps the riff raff out!"

View Quote

Well welcome back when you get here!  I used to hunt grouse and Pheasant west of Mandan, and now that I'm back, I'm looking forward to doing it again.  I know miluakee isn' much better than chicagoland.  I just never took to the area, this is where I belong.  If you're ever around Fargo and want to pop some rounds, let me know.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not loyal to my home state (Wisconsin), and I'll be leaving in a few months if all goes according to plan.

The DemocRATS run the state.  Sure, we've got a lot of Republican-leaning types, but they're more union than anything.  CCW was killed this year by parlimentary procedure trickery.  We're the second or third highest taxed state in the country.

Oh, and the weather SUCKS.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:39:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Lets see..born and raised in New Jersey...lived in North Carolina in the early 70s...FT Bragg to be exact...moved here to Virginia 10 years ago and it took awhile to come around but I like it now...but home is where I hang my hat and I'll always consider the USA my home so I wouldn't say I'm more loyal to one state.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 4:50:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Proud of my state, proud of my redneck heritage, proud of the Confederacy, and just plain proud to be from the South!....[:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Me, too, [b]Confederate[/b], me, too!

When I was a kid Uncle Remus he put me to bed
With a picture of Stonewall Jackson above my head
Then daddy came in to kiss his little man
With gin on his breath and a Bible in his hand
He talked about honor and things I should know
Then he’d stagger a little as he went out the door

CHORUS:
I can still hear the soft Southern winds in the live oak trees
And those Williams boys they still mean a lot to me
Hank and Tennessee
I guess we’re all gonna be what we’re gonna be
So what do you do with good ole boys like me

Nothing makes a sound in the night like the wind does
But you ain’t afraid if you’re washed in the blood like I was
The smell of cape jasmine thru the window screen
John R. and the Wolfman kept me company
By the light of the radio by my bed
With Thomas Wolfe whispering in my head

When I was in school I ran with kid down the street
But I watched him burn himself up on bourbon and speed
But I was smarter than most and I could choose
Learned to talk like the man on the six o’clock news
When I was eighteen, Lord, I hit the road
But it really doesn’t matter how far I go

Do you remember that song?

There's a verse left out, do you remember how that verse went?

Anyone?

Eric The(PlantMyFeetWithRobertE.Lee))Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Except for states on the "bad for gun owners" list, I'm loyal to just about any state in the Union.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:14:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Born in Texas raised in Tennessee.  Very happy with both.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:14:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
[b]Hun is definately right about Texans[/b], when my ancestors moved here in 1852 Texas extended all the way to the headwaters of the Arkansas river.

I for one consider, parts of New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas and Wyoming to be my home as they were all parts of [b]TEXAS[/b] once.

And yea it sure POs alot of folk, when I remind 'em of that fact, which I'm more than over-joyed to do (hell, I even tote my litte map around for those who didn't know it).

Mike
View Quote

I lived in Texas for 13 years, and I just loved ticking them off by reminding them that there were no Texans at the Alamo.

One of there proudest moments.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:26:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Post from ar10er -
I lived in Texas for 13 years, and I just loved ticking them off by reminding them that there were no Texans at the Alamo.
View Quote

Well, then you must love having just ticked off the Hun - what do you mean that there were no 'Texans' at the Alamo?

Explain that statement.
One of their proudest moments.
View Quote

Yes, we are as proud of that moment as Greeks are proud of the Spartans at Thermopylae, or Virginians may be of Pickett's Charge.

Or Americans may be of the defenders of Wake Island.

Eric The(C'monWhat'sTheStory?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:27:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Another one of your favorites, Eric?

Virgil Caine is the name
and I served on the Danville train
'Til Stoneman's cavalry came
and tore up the tracks again
In the winter of '65, we were hungry,
just barely alive
By May the tenth, Richmond had
fell, it's a time I remember oh so well

The night they drove Old Dixie
down and the bells were ringing
The night they drove Old Dixie
down and the people were singin', they went  
La-la-la, etc.

Back with my wife in Tennessee,
when one day she called to me
"Virgil, quick, come see, there
goes Robert E. Lee!"
Now I don't mind choppin' wood,
and I don't care if the money's no good
Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest
But they should never have taken the very best

The night they drove old Dixie
down and the bells were ringing
The night they drove old Dixie down
and all the people were singin', they went  
Na-na-na, etc.

Like my father before me,
I will work the land
And like my brother before me,
who took a rebel stand
He was just eighteen, proud and brave  
But a Yankee laid him in his grave
I swear by the mud below my feet
You can't raise a Caine back up when he's in defeat

Down and the bells were ringing
down and all the people were singin',
they went Na-na-na, etc.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Rural Utah is not a bad place to live(I work during the week in the SLC valley) if you can get used to a "conservative" state government which loves taxation and control.
I am more loyal to Idaho and Oregon.
You Texans have wonderful food and hospitality, but that damned humidity, IYIYIYI.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Yes, [b]stubbs[/b], I don't mind that song when sung by the 'right' people.

I never liked Joan Baez' version, because I don't like Joan Baez.

But when done by The Band, and others is o.k.

So tell me, [b]stubbs[/b], you would have been a Yankee back in those days, huh?

Not be, baby!

The North was destined to win, 'cause they weren't gonna stop fighting until everyone thought the same way about the same things as they did.

But we lied.[:D]

I don't think [u]anything[/u] like the Northerners of that period. Period.

Eric The(Unreconstructed)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#43]
ETH

Look it up, there were no native born Texans at the Alamo.

They were Virginians, Tennesseens, Pennsylvanians, etc....
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Here you go ETH

[url]www.alamo-de-parras.welkin.org/history/1836/the_battle/the_texians/defenders.html[/url]

There were some Mexican nationals that were born in Texas.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:28:12 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't really have much first-hand experience of Illinois. I've lived my whole life in a Stalinist enclave called Cook county. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Illinois, Cook county contains Chicago and its surrounding suburbs. The People's Republic of Cook County is and has been for almost 50 years, essentially a Daley-run kleptocracy.  Lately I have monitored news from the United States via the internet and via a short wave radio I have hidden in the attic.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#46]
 Lately I have monitored news from the United States via the internet and via a short wave radio I have hidden in the attic.[/quote]

LOL
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:49:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:11:11 AM EDT
[#48]
How to express my feelings for Illinois?  I love my state.  I love running the Wabash river and chasing trophy bucks working the edge of a corn field.  I love having hog roasts and fish frys.  I love that almost everybody in my hometown knows me by name and most enjoy talking to me.  I love that I can still drive to my great-great grandfathers log cabin and imagine what it would have been like back then.  However, I detest the over-governing, the moraly bankrupt government, the tyranical laws, the fund-raising approach to law enforcement and pretty much anything Daley has his skin head into.  I love my state but hate its leadership.  On a side note though, things are slowly changing for the better.

I've lived my whole life in a Stalinist enclave called Cook county
View Quote

Stay on the shortwave ludwig, I am organizing a rescue operation now.

Garandman, I lived in SC for about two years and absolutely loved it.  Swamps in the south, mountains in the north and plains in between.  All my favorites.  Greyhound stopping at every gas station with a dog spray painted on the side still cracks me up though.

Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#49]
ar10er -

[b]I can't believe what you are trying to say![/b]

When Davy Crockett left Tennessee, he said 'y'all can go to Hell, I'm going to Texas.' He arrived here in 1835.

That Texas had changed his plans was indisputable. His last extant letter, written on January 9, 1836, was quite clear:

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here. There is a world of country here to settle. . . . I have taken the oath of government and have enrolled my name as a volunteer and will set out for the Rio Grand in a few days with the volunteers from the United States. But all volunteers is entitled to vote for a member of the convention or to be voted for, and I have but little doubt of being elected a member to form a constitution for this province. I am rejoiced at my fate. I had rather be in my present situation than to be elected to a seat in Congress for life. I am in hopes of making a fortune yet for myself and family, bad as my prospect has been."

He [u]became[/u] a Texan when he arrived here, you know, just like the Huns became Texans when they arrived here 14 years after Davy Crockett.

James Bowie had moved from Louisiana to Texas in 1830 and became a Mexican citizen.

Was he not a 'Texan.'

The website you cited shows that all of the native born Mexicans can be considered Texans in the same way as those who took part in the American Revolutionary War are considered Americans and not British.

They weren't 'Americans' until the War was over if you take your slant on the event!

Don't come to Texas and say shit like this!

Eric The(Pizzed)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
ar10er -

[b]I can't believe what you are trying to say![/b]

When Davy Crockett left Tennessee, he said 'y'all can go to Hell, I'm going to Texas.' He arrived here in 1835.

That Texas had changed his plans was indisputable. His last extant letter, written on January 9, 1836, was quite clear:

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here. There is a world of country here to settle. . . . I have taken the oath of government and have enrolled my name as a volunteer and will set out for the Rio Grand in a few days with the volunteers from the United States. But all volunteers is entitled to vote for a member of the convention or to be voted for, and I have but little doubt of being elected a member to form a constitution for this province. I am rejoiced at my fate. I had rather be in my present situation than to be elected to a seat in Congress for life. I am in hopes of making a fortune yet for myself and family, bad as my prospect has been."

He [u]became[/u] a Texan when he arrived here, you know, just like the Huns became Texans when they arrived here 14 years after Davy Crockett.

James Bowie had moved from Louisiana to Texas in 1830 and became a Mexican citizen.

Was he not a 'Texan.'

The website you cited shows that all of the native born Mexicans can be considered Texans in the same way as those who took part in the American Revolutionary War are considered Americans and not British.

They weren't 'Americans' until the War was over if you take your slant on the event!

Don't come to Texas and say shit like this!

Eric The(Pizzed)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Well Hun, when I lived there I was told that I could never be a Texan, because I was not born there,

so I dug up this little bit of trivia to tick those Texans off that that told me that.

Worked rather well.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top