Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2002 6:50:11 PM EDT
From [url]http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/2701689p-3408044c.html[/url]

[i]With plans for an $80 million parking garage stalled since the Sept. 11 terror attacks, Sacramento International Airport officials want to inspect every vehicle entering the five-story structure for bombs to satisfy security concerns.....

The proposal calls for inspectors to look through windows and in the trunk of every vehicle approaching the garage entrance lanes. An area would be set up for cars awaiting inspection to avoid backing up traffic onto Airport Boulevard, Leonard said.

Each search would take 10 to 15 seconds, based on similar programs under way at airport garages in Los Angeles and San Jose, according to a staff report.
[/i]

Right!!!!  10-15 seconds, as long as they don't find any shell casings, gun powder, pot, knives or anything else.  So much for j"justifiable cause".

Sgtar15

PS Please do not get mad at the people actually performing the search on your vehicle...they are just following orders.

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what we consider to be legal. I think of my street toy sort of like a Class 3 type auto, registered with the authorities, all black, pre-ban 472 CI aluminum headed big block, 8 pt. cage, fully street legal, lights, full interior, runs 10.60s with MT slicks, BFG Drag Radials for the street. 1979 Mercury Capri. Many people have said that they would be in big trouble with a car like mine, it's all about respect of what the car can do in the wrong and right hands, same with firearms, you wouldn't hand a loaded AR15 to a six year old or a liberal Democrat! The last moving violation I recieved was in 1987!
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I travel a lot, and it seems like any parking garage close enough to the terminal for a potential bomb problem is having the cars rsearched.

My guess is that, as these are mostly private (?) structures and the examination is by private security, then the requirement for PC does not apply. Kinda like the security check at the airport... don't have to allow them to search your bags, but then you don't get to go on the plane.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:18:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:29:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Plain sight is an exception to the exclusionary rule.

The trunk search would never hold up in court.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
 So much for j"justifiable cause".

Sgtar15

View Quote

You are entering private property, what's your bitch?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Not only that, even the government has the right to search your bags and vehicles as a condition of entrance.  Ever get searched or pass your stuff thru a scanner at a courthouse?  (although it usually is a metal detector, theory is the same)
As an MP in the Army, I used to search vehicles coming on to the installation.  I had the occupants open the trunk and the hood.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, I have neither a flash supressor, detachable magazine or collapsable stock on mine----it is however, fully automatic.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Sheer idiocy. [size=4]IF[/size] (and that's a pretty big if) some terrorists wanted to set off a car or truck bomb at an airport, all they would need to do is drive up to the drop-off zone, set the fuse, and hope into another car that pulled up at the same time.  By the time the goofy square badge got over to the unoccupied vehicle (after hassling Joe Sixpack  who is there to pick up his elderly mother and is taking too long) the bomb goes off, taking out half the terminal and CNN, FOXNews, and MSNBC have some actual "Breaking News" instead of all the bs break-ins we see all the time.    

Anything short of sandbagged checkpoints with heavily armed troops stationed at them at every road entrance to the airport is a waste of time.  And let's face it, that didn't help the Marine barracks in Lebanon very much either, did it?  Is America ready for sandbagged watch towers and armed checkpoints?  NO!

The best way to fight terrorism is to stop creating terrorists who want to bomb everything.

Link Posted: 5/15/2002 9:41:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Private property yes, but the ones doing the searching will soon be federal employees, right? Any bets on whether or not these searches will stop then?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#10]
God. Im glad I live in a free country where I can come and go as I please... with out having to show my papers at every corner.....[i]yet[/i]...

besides:
[i]If you got nothing to hide... whats the proplem ?  [/i]  right?

oh but please dont streotype the arabs, might make them feel bad...but as for you MR/MRS John Doe please drop your pants and grab your ankles for the routine cavity search before you are allowed to enter [b]YOUR[/b] public libary....

edited to add**********

In a 7-11 accent

Thank you,
Come again....
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
PS Please do not get mad at the people actually performing the search on your vehicle...they are just following orders.

View Quote

WTF?!?

I guess the Jews should have [i]thanked[/i] the Nazis that loaded their loved ones into the gas chambers, since afterall, "they were just following orders"
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#12]
here we go again....you are on private property..they were only following orders..it is new federal policy.....crap,crap, and drek.
I have to fly for work...I park off the airport,
I do everything I can to make the process as long and as grueling for the screener that I can..and to the apologists out there....ya want this stuff to happen? vere are your papers?
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 12:46:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I am not saying I like it.  But if they want to search your trunk before you park in the parking lot, they can and will do so.  It's a condition of entrance.  You have a choice whether or not you want to park there.  They didn't have black helicopters block your car on the street and do a surprise inspection, you know before you get to the lot that they were going to or there was at least a possibilty of them searching it.  Drive onto a high security federal, state or military installation and there is a sign saying they can inspect vehicles (inculding trunks) if you enter.  My old employeer, Honeywell, even stated that my car was subject to search by being on the premises.  I have seen this happen all the time, even done searches myself and the Supreme Court has never knocked it down.  It's legal
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

WTF?!?

I guess the Jews should have [i]thanked[/i] the Nazis that loaded their loved ones into the gas chambers, since afterall, "they were just following orders"
View Quote

Sarcasm...Forgot the winky

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll remember that, as long as the box cars are parked out of sight........
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The best way to fight terrorism is to stop creating terrorists who want to bomb everything.
View Quote

Gonna be interesting to see how far you get with that kind of thinking around here.......
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#18]
As some of you may remember my son was searched at the San Jose airport last fall after 9/11. They will do it, but they certainly aren't effective and won't be catching any terrorists.

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=83481[/url]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
they are just following orders.
View Quote

thats some of the problem.  no one thinks for them selves anymore.  take the movie "A few good men." the guys in that were "just following orders"  i think they should think about the order.  this is why we are losing our freedoms.  a nation can not give security and freedom.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's what it's like at San Jose:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=83481[/url]

At least, when I had a gun in the car.
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Depends on what we consider to be legal. I think of my street toy sort of like a Class 3 type auto, registered with the authorities, all black, pre-ban 472 CI aluminum headed big block, 8 pt. cage, fully street legal, lights, full interior, runs 10.60s with MT slicks, BFG Drag Radials for the street. 1979 Mercury Capri. Many people have said that they would be in big trouble with a car like mine, it's all about respect of what the car can do in the wrong and right hands, same with firearms, you wouldn't hand a loaded AR15 to a six year old or a liberal Democrat! The last moving violation I recieved was in 1987!
View Quote

You are an Ego pig. Who drives 472 cubes on the street? Maybe you'll really impress someone with that. Maybe someone will recognize you. Maybe.
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The windows are tinted, no one can regognize me! Some guys like to show off at the range, some guys on the street! Actually my motor is somewhat small, lots of 502 BB Chevys running around here, buddy that I work with has a 69 Chevelle, 502, Brodix heads, needless to say the Chevelle didn't quite make it into the 11s, 12.14 to be exact. I am not an ego pig, just proud of my handywork! I have noticed a HUGE difference in the types of people at car shows compared to gun shows, car show types are usually pretty quick to compliment, some brand rivalry between us Ford guys, the GM guys, and the Mopar guys, usually all in fun!
You are an Ego pig. Who drives 472 cubes on the street? Maybe you'll really impress someone with that. Maybe someone will recognize you. Maybe.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/17/2002 5:33:46 PM EDT
[#25]
... Been SOP where I work since 9/11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top